UPS Agrees To Purchase Overnite

U

upsdawg

Ironylife----I feel the same way about FEDEX Freight---or Viking--or RPS----it is time for UPS to put a halt to having FED Ex capitalize on everything because of their purchase of Caliber Systems. FEDEX has been the darling of Wall Street and nothing ever appears to have an impact on their stock price-----they were the first to comment on UPS 4th Qtr earnings---because they have taken some market share from UPS-----well it is time for UPS to start taking Market Share back---and let's see how it impacts their uear ending numbers!!

V

vet

There is alot more profit in small pkgs than LTL!!!

Early this year overnite's stock was in the low, low 30's---Brown bought 'em at 42-43.

O

ok2bclever

wkmac,

I am with you on that!

It's time for UPS to start actively competing with FedEx (and keep DHL a wannabee, instead of waiting until they gain a solid toe hold to cause trouble) instead of just using them as a boogie man in driver talks.

It seems all we ever do is react to moves by FE , instead of using our huge advantages to put them on the defensive.

It's long overdue that the sleeping conservative giant started using it's might and swinging back strategically.

U

u1st

Watch out UPS feeders, 5 ton drivers and large volume regular drivers. Your jobs could be eliminated or you will loose many hours because of this overnite agreement.

LTL can del and pickup in a day what 2 UPS regular drivers can do in the same time. Also it will be only 1 wage, equal or less fuel and greatly reduced maintenance costs.
Ask your manager why they don't use the 5 ton for bulk deliveries and pickups. If you think about there response it will make no sense. It's a truck with a box and has no preference to how it's utilized. If they give a reason about numbers than state you make us, yourself and UPS look like idiots when they send 3-6 UPS trucks to do the same a 5ton would do in less time.

Overnite won't become union but will become part of the growing non-union UPS group of companies.

Good luck!!

T

teddyr

U1st, our contract protects our jobs so there is nothing to worry about. And if they stay non-union and continue to maintain healthy profit margins, all the better, I wont feel so bad every time I get a pay raise or go to the dentist and pay nothing while the rest of the suckers in the lobby pay out. Besides, the company still needs drivers to deliver those 140 stops a day!!

M

ms.

u1st
The only LTL in our system is Hundredweight. Overnight can have it- won't make a blip. The bulk stops come from 1000 different directions and bulk pick-ups go out a thousand directions. All of that has to go thru a sort not a terminal. And you're right that a truck would make that easier, faster and more economical. If that happens we can add the word GRIEVANCE to your spelling list.But maybe UPS will unionize Overnight right off the bat and BID SHEET will become the vocabulary du jour. Either way we all keep our job.
BTW...nice handle...how politically correct of you to embace your inner child or your feminine side.

R

rushfan

ut1 doesn't realize bulk delivery stops we make are packages that come from various shippers.

however...we have used 3 drivers to make a pickup at a large shipper..using 1 driver with a big bulk van would be a savings..however, the packages that are picked up from a bulk shipper go to many addresses.

I'm not going to loose sleep overnight taking over my deliveries and pickups.

U

u1st

I guess those who don't understand my point are a steward, company man or ignorant(unaware). Does it matter where the bulk stops go when you pick up pkgs(no), does it matter when you del bulk stop pkgs(yes). Have you heard of a pallet, pallet jack,forklift and shrink wrap? Grieve all you want and if you have a union for you and not in the companies pocket than you have a chance to win.

I don't care if you loose your job or loose hrs but this is the start of UPS buying companies to reduce ot and prepare for 2008.

You who don't understand sound just like your supervisors/management. I can see what brown did 2u. Good luck and make sure you speed, don't take your breaks and dr pkgs which have sign req.

U

u1st

Ms Pacman, do you know what LTL means?

Teddyr, keep talking and sit down cause your the reason why UPS should be non union.

Anyone of you not from the USA?

U

ups_gal_710

better yet u1st why dont you register and become a real name on here??? Stop hiding behind that false name... Until then we really dont care what you have to say.
jester.gif

My option on your "loosing" work hours, I just hope that I'm first in line. I would love to work 8 and go home instead of 10.5 EVERYDAY

I

ironylife

overnite isnt going to do <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> to us in package. Its the same thing as basic account, oh no, basic is going to eliminate drivers....please. just like the diad, oh, the technology is going to wipe out half of the driving workforce...it never happen. my building has been hiring drivers like crazy. Just wait, within 5 years there will be so many drivers retiring who were hired in the late 70's and early 80's that ups will be scrambling to fill the positions.

1timepu

U1st have no Idea what you are Talking about, Overnite drivers want the Union, Ive talked to many drivers this week in NJ and are anxious to join the Union......So know what you talk about before you make a fool of yourself

R

rushfan

Welcome back montecarlo11..It's been a while since seeing your wonderful comments.

T

teddyr

U1st(Mr. Ignorant) Without bulk stops I still run 130 stps plus picks a day, which equates to 9hrs a day. Unless they start to consolidate all my stops at another warehouse and then deliver them, I am not going lose sleep over the issue. Rush is right, bulk stops come from various shippers, and any bulk stop from a single shipper that has enough volume for a pallet should be going through an LTL anyway. If anybody loses work it will be another LTL.

U

u2nd

Teedyr, 130stops plus pups. How many pups do you do or is a pup not considered a stop? You must have an industrial area or your manager runs a great center with a military style.

I will register but won't bother informing you of my opinions because you can't comprehend the future of UPS and unions in the world. I hope you retire by 2010 because they're won't be many jobs after Busch get through with your country.