UPS Class A Drivers

I've worked for UPS as a driver helper in years past. Now I have my CDL. And was just curious if UPS ever hires outside the company for road drivers, etc. I do see where UPSF is hiring.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
They sometimes hire "off the street" but they also hire seasonal drivers that are sometimes kept for a permanent FT position. I don't know how long you had to have held your CDL before they would hire you though.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Read the union contract for your area. It spells out the hiring order. In my area its 2 full time 1 part time 1 seasonal 1 off street.
Oh and I think you need 1 year cdl A driving experience to be considered for off street

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Does UPS hire new class A drivers?
Do you mean 'fresh out of driving school, no experience' new? Probably not. Check upsjobs.com for feeder jobs near you, they usually have a minimum experience requirement. But you never know, maybe you could get lucky and you end up being the best (or only) applicant.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most of us are class "B" or lower, as judged by management. Most rank and file rate Runner-Gunners much lower, somewhere on the level of pond scum.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sorry I asked.
image.jpg

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Does UPS hire new class A drivers?
Sean don't worry about the other guys, they forget that they at one point were new to driving and didn't have a clue what they were doing. Most of the new guys who were hired on this year are doing a damn good job at my hub. As for your question, they will if they need them bad enough. If there aren't enough employees to fill the spot they will go to outside hires. We have maybe 40 new drivers since Feb and they never went outside. I have heard that some hubs are reaching out but usually they will hire from within first.

Thanks for those that answered! Yes, I'm a fairly new Class A Road Driver. I see a number of UPS Road Driver Jobs posted (not sure if there all freight or). I was just curious how often these jobs get filled from guys off the street.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If the job is posted online then they are looking for an outside hire. All jobs filled from inside are never posted online

barnyard

KTM rider
In some parts of the country, ground is hiring off the street. Now, they are all temp positions for peak. Perms will not be hired till Spring.