UPS Contract passed today by executive vote

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dunno, but how many Americans work in a ice box in the winter, a oven in the summer and are threaten and harassed everyday buy some nerd in a tie.

is

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Grits bring something to mind about this thread like renaming it to "the South lost but the United States is still a pretty good place to live" I would have fought in the Fighting 69th.The civil war is over fellas lets move on.

Theking30

SHORTY
Lol. How many UPS drivers are deployed abroad? How many work nights, weekends, holidays to keep a hospital running? How many work their whole lives and don't have the country's largest union watching their back?

You wanted to point out how tough the job is and your go-to point was that we don't have AC? Wow, Give me a break. The sense of exceptionalism among UPS drivers is staggering.
Soldiers are awesome, I am proud of them and thankful for their service.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It is ironic how TDU leaning folks are mad, and was most likely caused by rogue actions from a TDU leaning local's BA.

You don't know that.

And of course we are mad. This was a crappy thing to do to our brothers.

But I noticed all the Hoffa/Old Guard supporters are happy.

You must have the same over spending problem that the Old Guard always seem to have, so you must desperately need you RETRO check ASAP.

Last edited:

upschuck

You don't know that.
No, I don't know for fact that is true, but if all roads point in that direction.
And of course we are mad. This was a crappy thing to do to our brothers.

But I noticed all the Hoffa/Old Guard supporters are happy.
No, I am not happy the way this thing ended. Don't like the fact that the leaders imposed something that the members overwhelmingly rejected. What I would of preferred was that the leaders would have started everyone in Teamcare to remove the vast majority of reasons that members where voting no for. That could be done, because other parts of NMA were implemented, just not that part for some reason.
You must have the same over spending problem that the Old Guard always seem to have, so you desperately need you RETRO check ASAP.
If I showed that to my family, they would fall down laughing so hard. I'm a saver, no debt.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Wow. Talk about cherry picking.

I believe that the poster pointed out more than just having to work in a hot box in the summer.

Next time, read more, or be more honest in your response.
It isn't cherry picking if all you have to do is look at the people around you. I make almost 3 times what my girlfriend makes per hour. She's a soldier in the greatest military in the world with 3.5 years of service and I load trucks at UPS. My other job involves me reading a water meter and I make close to 5 times what she makes there. You make more than 10 times what she does per hour, in case you're curious. Five times more per year. Is your job five times harder than a soldier's?

Is it fine that you make what you make? Of course. God bless our union for getting those wages. I'm just trying to point out the blatant flaws in your "We are the hardest working. Nobody's got it worse than us." fallacy. So that maybe you can go through life not assuming that you are the world's martyr. Crucified on your UPS truck so that the rest of us can live kushy, comfortable existences. A little humility can go a long way towards fixing that feeling of persecution you have.

Last edited:

The Milkman

You're naive if you think you'll only be out of work "for a while"...if you're so ready to go on strike, by all means go for it! I have no problem striking but not when there's zero support for it from the general public! But it's your typ of mentality that got 250 UPSers fired in the first place! Did they do a noble thing? Hell yeah they stuck up for a brother! Are they counting their blessings right now? You damn tootin! Then of course there's the long term end of things. Go on strike and companies we've had long standings with give their contracts to FedEx USPS or DHL; we lose volume, we lose jobs! We lose jobs, we lose numbers! This isn't rocket science...but you know I'm giving you sound arguments, you're just calling people stupid! Way to go brother!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Not sure how long YOU have been with UPS but YOUR thinking is exactly what UPS likes. Members afraid to stand up to them. Yes a strike without public support is not good, no strike is good but when the threat is taken away then you lose the upper hand and have to deal with the cards dealt to you. When out in 97 It was a little tough for everyone but Ups back then did not think WE had the balls to do it. Now with the supplements being ignored and passed without regard to who they affect just feeds the Big Brown Monster to future planning that will play into their hands. What if it was YOUR local that voted it down and then jammed it down YOUR throat? Would YOU feel somewhat defeated? The Union is the voice of the members not the Union Board. Ups has been losing volume every year in some way or another, Either by promising certain pick up times, rates, service failures, lack of Customer service reps taking care of issues. Oh that reminds me, back in the 80's we had a customer service rep for just about every center....Now how many do YOU have? Took them away putting the pressure on drivers for sales leads etc etc. So with no strike threat I guess UPS will do what they want whether YOU like it or not. Sounds fair to me if YOU are not concerned about the eroding power of the Union. Ups knows that division amongst the members is to their advantage thanks to guys with thinking like YOU....

The Milkman

You're naive if you think you'll only be out of work "for a while"...if you're so ready to go on strike, by all means go for it! I have no problem striking but not when there's zero support for it from the general public! But it's your typ of mentality that got 250 UPSers fired in the first place! Did they do a noble thing? Hell yeah they stuck up for a brother! Are they counting their blessings right now? You damn tootin! Then of course there's the long term end of things. Go on strike and companies we've had long standings with give their contracts to FedEx USPS or DHL; we lose volume, we lose jobs! We lose jobs, we lose numbers! This isn't rocket science...but you know I'm giving you sound arguments, you're just calling people stupid! Way to go brother!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yeah GREAT Contract compared to previous ones.

Wall Street Analyst: UPS got a cheap deal
hall promised, “The more they make, the more we take.” But Wall Street analysts say UPS will save $500 million in labor costs under the weak contract imposed by Hoffa and Hall.
Wolfe Research, specializing in analysis of the transport industry, has this to say about the new contract:
“UPS’s new 5-yr labor contract with the Teamsters is finally set to take effect on Fri. and we believe it’s a good deal for UPS, with only ~3% annual wage inflation versus ~4% in its past 2 contracts.”
The analysis continued: “UPS announced after the market on Thursday that its new five-year labor agreement with the Teamsters (which was approved on a national level in June of 2013) will go into effect today (Friday) after the national negotiating committee voted to override the last three chapters that had been holding out for supplemental amendments. We estimate wages and benefits for full-time employees will increase by a compounded average of about 3.4% annually over the five years of the contract, below 4.1% in the prior two deals in ‘08 and ‘02. We estimate wages will increase 2.3% annually (vs. 2.7% and 3.3% the past two deals), while benefits are expected to increase 5.2% annually. On an absolute basis, UPS will be paying very similar wage and benefit increases to the Teamsters; but, off of a higher base, the percent increases are lower. Assuming 125K full-time Teamster members and roughly assuming $100K in average annual income (wages + benefits), 3.4% annual wage inflation would SAVE UPS approximately $85M in labor costs in year one and closer to $500M in compounded savings by the end of the contract.”

ncupser82

Not sure how long YOU have been with UPS but YOUR thinking is exactly what UPS likes. Members afraid to stand up to them. Yes a strike without public support is not good, no strike is good but when the threat is taken away then you lose the upper hand and have to deal with the cards dealt to you. When out in 97 It was a little tough for everyone but Ups back then did not think WE had the balls to do it. Now with the supplements being ignored and passed without regard to who they affect just feeds the Big Brown Monster to future planning that will play into their hands. What if it was YOUR local that voted it down and then jammed it down YOUR throat? Would YOU feel somewhat defeated? The Union is the voice of the members not the Union Board. Ups has been losing volume every year in some way or another, Either by promising certain pick up times, rates, service failures, lack of Customer service reps taking care of issues. Oh that reminds me, back in the 80's we had a customer service rep for just about every center....Now how many do YOU have? Took them away putting the pressure on drivers for sales leads etc etc. So with no strike threat I guess UPS will do what they want whether YOU like it or not. Sounds fair to me if YOU are not concerned about the eroding power of the Union. Ups knows that division amongst the members is to their advantage thanks to guys with thinking like YOU....[/quojobs] Strike vote wasn't taken away! You can't just go on strike! And let's say L89 did go on strike, who's to say UPS wouldn't have just diverted the volume somewhere else! The rest of the country isn't on strike, so we work as instructed! So now the company just dumps 9k jobs like its nothing...you don't think there aren't 9k people in Louisville looking for jobs! Hell even at starting pay its more than an unemployed person gets, plus benefits! Oh yeah and the risk that the new workers won't join the union...risk is a good thing, but sometimes the consequences far outweigh the risk. I've said before that I think the way everything went down wasn't pleasant, but that's how it went down! Overall my point has been that if you want a strong union you don't go bad mouthing the union...no matter who sits at the table!

Sent using BrownCafe App

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It isn't cherry picking if all you have to do is look at the people around you. I make almost 3 times what my girlfriend makes per hour. She's a soldier in the greatest military in the world with 3.5 years of service and I load trucks at UPS. My other job involves me reading a water meter and I make close to 5 times what she makes there. You make more than 10 times what she does per hour, in case you're curious. Five times more per year. Is your job five times harder than a soldier's?

Is it fine that you make what you make? Of course. God bless our union for getting those wages. I'm just trying to point out the blatant flaws in your "We are the hardest working. Nobody's got it worse than us." fallacy. So that maybe you can go through life not assuming that you are the world's martyr. Crucified on your UPS truck so that the rest of us can live kushy, comfortable existences. A little humility can go a long way towards fixing that feeling of persecution you have.

I was a soldier too.

I got out because I was tired of living in poverty in the military.

I made choices to go out and earn more money. So that meant leaving the military.

So maybe your girlfriend should have made different choices if she wanted to make more money.

Besides you don't go in the military to get rich.

Stonefish

I was a soldier too.

I made choices to go out and earn more money. So that meant leaving the military.

So maybe your girlfriend should have made different choices if she wanted to make more money.

Now you want to disrespect the mans girlfriend. You are an unhappy person.

Last edited by a moderator:

ncupser82

Yeah GREAT Contract compared to previous ones.

Wall Street Analyst: UPS got a cheap deal
hall promised, “The more they make, the more we take.” But Wall Street analysts say UPS will save $500 million in labor costs under the weak contract imposed by Hoffa and Hall.
Wolfe Research, specializing in analysis of the transport industry, has this to say about the new contract:
“UPS’s new 5-yr labor contract with the Teamsters is finally set to take effect on Fri. and we believe it’s a good deal for UPS, with only ~3% annual wage inflation versus ~4% in its past 2 contracts.”
The analysis continued: “UPS announced after the market on Thursday that its new five-year labor agreement with the Teamsters (which was approved on a national level in June of 2013) will go into effect today (Friday) after the national negotiating committee voted to override the last three chapters that had been holding out for supplemental amendments. We estimate wages and benefits for full-time employees will increase by a compounded average of about 3.4% annually over the five years of the contract, below 4.1% in the prior two deals in ‘08 and ‘02. We estimate wages will increase 2.3% annually (vs. 2.7% and 3.3% the past two deals), while benefits are expected to increase 5.2% annually. On an absolute basis, UPS will be paying very similar wage and benefit increases to the Teamsters; but, off of a higher base, the percent increases are lower. Assuming 125K full-time Teamster members and roughly assuming $100K in average annual income (wages + benefits), 3.4% annual wage inflation would SAVE UPS approximately $85M in labor costs in year one and closer to $500M in compounded savings by the end of the contract.”
Oh good you're familiar with Google!

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I was a soldier too.

My daughter got out , now she is a cop and if you think UPS is bad you should have to deal with Gov. Christie