UPS damaged package!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I love the packages that have a sticker on them that says "Do Not Crush".
Does that imply that there are some that OK to crush?
If you don't include a Do Not Crush sticker, are you just asking for it?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've got nothing to add here. Everyone else pretty much covered it. aybe next time you ship something you won't be so cheap on your packing.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
When I was DECAP'ing the other day, I had 45...yes 45 "boxes" that had books in them. Not packed, but thrown in the "so-called" boxes. I went through 2 rolls of tape and got way behind on my DECAP'ing. For the life of me, I cannot understand how ANYONE would ship something like this??!! They deserve to loose everything that was in those "boxes". :biting:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that the majority of damages we have are caused by the conveyor belts, slides, and rollers we use to move packages during the sorting process. And every package goes through this process several times. I have never seen a conveyor belt that could read "Fragile" or "This Side Up". Bubble wrap was probably the worst way to pack anything heavy like this. Like said before, there is a good reason manufactures use custom designed pieces of Styrofoam in a new cardboard box to properly cushion their products.

brownrodster

UPS will be more interested in the packaging and packing material than they are the actual damage to the item.

When I was part time I was a damage clerk for a while. I rarely saw any damaged item that had sufficient packaging.

Did you have 2 inches of packing material between the item and the box? Were the contents able to shift inside the box? Did you double box the item?

If you just threw the bose in a box and shipped it then you are SOL. If you put just a little bit of packing material in the box but the bose could still move around in the box then you are SOL.

Generally, if something gets damaged it's because the packaging was insufficient.

The best way to ship anything via UPS is to double box it. Place the item in a box and pack it tight with packing material so the contents cannot shift. Place that box inside a larger box. Fill the void between the boxes tightly with packing material so the smaller box cannot shift inside the larger box. Now if anything you pack in this manner gets destroyed then UPS will surely pay your claim. And that's the catch, stuff packed like this rarely gets destroyed.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Alexm7, all the above posters are most likely correct. However, if UPS won`t pay up on the $100.00 claim, you might consider filing a claim against UPS in small claims court. UPS might or might not follow through so it`s worth a shot.
Dork

Is $100 worth going to small claims court for? And at the most, that would be their liability.

d

alexm7

Insurance is to cover accidental damage through fault of the company.

In this case, the customer used substandard packing materiels (more out of lack of knowledge I think) and a box that would not handle the weight of the package.

Since the box portions that were visable showed no sign of water damage, it would seem that the box pretty much came appart in transit, or at the very least was damaged.

With only a thin layer of bubble wrap, there was no protection at all for the contents.

So, Helen, you are correct, even if the insurance was bought, the claim would most likely not be paid.

I do find the lack of postings of items we asked for to be the loudest conformation of improper packing the customer could make.

d

First of all, I can't answer everyone's questions. Second, these are the pics I received from the customer. Third, You're making false claims about the packaging as if blindly defending UPS.

Even UPS employees admit to treating packages "Fragile" or not, like ****.

The packaging was done properly, and it didn't just have a " thin layer of bubble wrap." It included styrofoam,peanuts and bubble wrap.

Yea, it was my bad for not insuring the product, but there's absolutely no excuse for a fragile product to turn up like this.

christian c

First of all, I can't answer everyone's questions. Second, these are the pics I received from the customer. Third, You're making false claims about the packaging as if blindly defending UPS.

The packaging was done properly, and it didn't just have a " thin layer of bubble wrap." It included styrofoam,peanuts and bubble wrap.

Yea, it was my bad for not insuring the product, but there's absolutely no excuse for a fragile product to turn up like this.

how did you use all three styrofoam, peanuts, and bubble wrap? just wondering

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First of all, I can't answer everyone's questions.

Not asking you to do everyones, just mine. Although several have also asked some of the same questions as I

Second, these are the pics I received from the customer. Third, You're making false claims about the packaging as if blindly defending UPS.

Good enough, so the customer is not a good photographer, not you.

As for blindly defending UPS, not so. Just telling you where you stand with what I saw in the photos. I have had dealings with UPS on both sides of the counter, and am still waiting on the check from one that was damaged may 2008.

Also, not making false claims, as I was looking at the photos presented. Saw the bubble wrap and the cardboard you packed it in. So show me where I was false?

??? What you will find is an inside joke. People marking fragile on metal beams, boxes of bolts etc. And some of these inside jokes are in poor taste as well, but not based in reality. Your impression of how we handle packages at UPS based on what gets posted here is the same as if you posted nascar drivers drive like crazy off the track.

The packaging was done properly, and it didn't just have a " thin layer of bubble wrap." It included Styrofoam,peanuts and bubble wrap.

Now, here is where you are mistaken. First, your area of expertise is not transporting product across town or the country. You demonstrated that by your packing matériels. And like so many other do it yourself projects, this one didn't turn out very well either, thanks to a lack of knowledge when it comes to proper packing.

This product if packed in its original box (done by experts that know) with the original foam inserts would not have peanuts and bubble wrap, both items that are designed to keep small items away from each other during transit, not to pad large items inside a box. Especially heavy items like you shipped. So while in your mind you packed it properly, you really didn't. Peanuts and bubble wrap would never keep the contents from shifting around in the box and getting next to the cardboard.

Your BAD for not packing it in its original box, with the original foam inserts. That and that alone would have kept it from getting damaged in transit. What part of that dont you understand? Buying insurance would not help you in any way on this, as they would only give you the insurance charges back, along with the $100 maybe.

While it would have been a bit more expensive to let a UPS store pack it for you, the reality is, the package would have made it to the customer intact.

Sorry your item was damaged, really am. WE damage more than we would like to see, but in the over all picture, we damage very few.

But to try to shift the blame to UPS for your lack of proper packing expertise......well I guess our culture is headed that way, why should you be any different. Thats why we have warnings on hair driers "do not use in the shower or bath tub"

d

City Driver

well if this is the same UPS i work for, the one with the big brown trucks, then they will tell you it was your fault no matter what

We`re not "blindly defending UPS",we have heard this story over and over. It`s always "why did UPS damage my package". Here is,by plain statistics,why.

Which employees? I bet you didn`t know that the average worker,unloading,sorting,loading,have only a few seconds that they are in possession of your package before they have to get on with the next one. In my building packages,once they are set on the belt by the unloader,are not even touched by human hands until it reaches the loader. They stack it into the trailer and are on to the next one.

The packaging was done properly,(in your opinion,if we had photos we could be able to tell ourselves) and it didn't just have a " thin layer of bubble wrap." It included styrofoam(the factory formed foam?),peanuts and bubble wrap(useless as protection,intended only for filler).My first job in the company was in PSC (package service clerk) re-taping,re-boxing,and writing out damage reports on boxes just like yours. It doesn`t take long to see where packaging was done correctly or not. Your box might have seemed solid setting there on your floor,but just the simple motions going through our system will cause that heavy sound system to begin to work its way through the packaging. Once it was less structurally strong it took less to damage it. Your pics show something that indicates that it fell our was dropped but proper packaging should have planned on that. Don`t plan on your box being handled with kid gloves,plan on it having the snot kicked out of it and package accordingly.

Yea, it was my bad for not insuring the product You just settled this right there., but there's absolutely no excuse for a fragile product to turn up like this.Sure there is,I just outlined it for you above.[/QUOTE]

You could have packaged it better,you know it. You dropped the ball on insuring it for it`s value. Take responsibility for it.

DorkHead

Dork

Is $100 worth going to small claims court for? And at the most, that would be their liability.

d

Only if UPS refuses to pay the $100.00 that comes with the service. We know he did not pay for additional insurance so it`s worth a shot to get something. Plus, UPS might not think it`s worth the time or hassle.

UPSGUY72

Only if UPS refuses to pay the $100.00 that comes with the service. We know he did not pay for additional insurance so it`s worth a shot to get something. Plus, UPS might not think it`s worth the time or hassle.

If he goes to small claims court he has to miss a day of work. If he won he only going to get a order saying that UPS owes him $100. UPS could drag it's feet or just not pay at all.