UPS Driver Helper (Seasonal Job) Questions

U

UPSnotFedEx

I recently applied online for the position of Driver Helper with UPS. My "interview" is this Thursday 10 AM and I'd like some info about the job and what you do everyday. Also have some questions for the job & interview

1. What do I dress up on the day of interview, I was thinking of wearing black slacks with dress shoes and dress shirt. (Am I overdressed?)

2. How's a Driver Helper's typical day work hours? I'm in college 4 days a week. Monday & Wednesdays in the morning until 12PM and Tuesdays & Thursdays at night from 6:30 PM unti 9:30 PM. Almost always free on Fridays and Weekends... Would I be able to work around this schedule? (Willing to work fulltime once semester is over)

3. When do I start working and stop working? it's almost November, so will I start beginning of november until end of december?

4. If I applied for a specific city, do I always meet up with the driver that same city or will I have to meetup with the driver in other cities?

5. Is it true that I'm not allowed to bring my cellphone on the truck and does the driver return you to your car (where you originally met up) after your day's work has been complete?

6. Does the driver drive the truck in front of each of the delivery locations and have you drop them off? or in one part of the neighborhood and you walk to each one?

7. How much is the hourly pay for a Seasonal Driver Helper in Southern California near Orange & L.A. County?

I know this job is hard work and am I'm fit for it, I'm not trying to waste my time for BS because I have self-respect and need to focus on college. Thanks for reading

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Question 2 through 7 sound like fabulous questions to ask during the course of your interview. Question #1....ask your mom. Oh, and don't forget to ask about brown ups socks :)

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Driver helping is not that even hard. Don't worry. For some reason, many driver helpers that made it in my hub always ended up quiting because they thought working inside would be as fun and exciting as driver helping.

thatsmypackage

As a driver helper, you will be taking packages and bringing them from the truck to the residence/business... that's pretty much it. It's alot of hustle and being on your feet all day... not too much heavy lifting. The pay is slightly more than minimum wage. It's a temp gig to make a few bucks and that's it... they will get rid of you after the 24th of December. Hope this helps.

gingerkat

I recently applied online for the position of Driver Helper with UPS. My "interview" is this Thursday 10 AM and I'd like some info about the job and what you do everyday. Also have some questions for the job & interview

1. What do I dress up on the day of interview, I was thinking of wearing black slacks with dress shoes and dress shirt. (Am I overdressed?)
What you discussed sounds nice, but I've seen people in jeans and t-shirts. I say, always dress up for an interview.

2. How's a Driver Helper's typical day work hours? I'm in college 4 days a week. Monday & Wednesdays in the morning until 12PM and Tuesdays & Thursdays at night from 6:30 PM unti 9:30 PM. Almost always free on Fridays and Weekends... Would I be able to work around this schedule? (Willing to work full-time once semester is over)
If you are not available M-friend from 10am-5pm then this job will not fit you.

3. When do I start working and stop working? it's almost November, so will I start beginning of november until end of december?
Some centers start earlier than others and some drivers with heavy routes get helpers earlier too. The hub in my neighborhood will be starting helpers next week and it ends on December 24th.

4. If I applied for a specific city, do I always meet up with the driver that same city or will I have to meet up with the driver in other cities?
The HR person will get all pertinent info about exactly where you live and find the appropriate driver to set you up with. The driver will decide the meet up point and time. It has been stated that you might be sent to another driver once finished with the first one.

5. Is it true that I'm not allowed to bring my cellphone on the truck and does the driver return you to your car (where you originally met up) after your day's work has been complete?
What do you mean? Do you want to bring a tv? You can bring a bag if you need to with some food, water and supplies. But, remember it will be very crammed in the back of the package car, so leave your GI Joes/Hoes at home.

6. Does the driver drive the truck in front of each of the delivery locations and have you drop them off? or in one part of the neighborhood and you walk to each one?
Some stay with you and others drop you off with a dolly with enough for that entire street and pick you up after he/she is finished.

7. How much is the hourly pay for a Seasonal Driver Helper in Southern California near Orange & L.A. County?
$8.50 (-$22.50 each month of dues)

I know this job is hard work and am I'm fit for it, I'm not trying to waste my time for BS because I have self-respect and need to focus on college. Thanks for reading
Anyone that needs money, will work for it. If you claim you have self-respect, then you are crapping on anyone that needs to work for a living. Stay in School and keep your self respect.

Man, I tried so hard to keep it nice and professional, but you went there with the self respect. Get your degree, come back and tell us how much that self respect is earning you per year.

Box Ox

Wouldn't bother if I were you. Gotta be ready to roll any time you're called/a driver needs you. Won't look good if HR is keeping records and you're interested in UPS in the future.

MassWineGuy

With your school schedule there is no way you will get hired. If you get called to work with a driver you must be available for as long as that driver needs you (I think).

upschuck

2. How's a Driver Helper's typical day work hours? I'm in college 4 days a week. Monday & Wednesdays in the morning until 12PM and Tuesdays & Thursdays at night from 6:30 PM unti 9:30 PM. Almost always free on Fridays and Weekends... Would I be able to work around this schedule? (Willing to work fulltime once semester is over)

4. If I applied for a specific city, do I always meet up with the driver that same city or will I have to meetup with the driver in other cities?

1) Doesn't matter what you wear. Rule of thumb is to dress up to what you would be wearing on job.

2) Doesn't sound to flexible, might not get much work early, but after semester is over should be able to work, since there are always jumpers that quit.

3) Depends on the drivers needs. Schedule will inhibit your working though.

4) Depends on you willingness to work. They try to keep you in your city, but not always feasible.

5-6) I believe you can, but you would not have much time to be on it. Some areas drivers will drop you off, you call him when you're finished.

7) Not sure about SCal, but here it is about $12.80. Can't imagine SCal would be lower.

Shalonda

seasonal into part time?

I am currently a seasonal worker at ups. Is itpossiblte that I could be hired on as a part time pkg handler? If so how linge is the process?