Poop Head

Judge me.
Well no one else can control how you feel about something. If I give you a terrible load on the preload, it's still on you to get upset. The management and supervisors, the ones we see day to day and not the ones making real decisions, like to think they have control yet they can't and do not themselves have control. If they had control and decision-making ability, you wouldn't see so many drone-like pricks without an ounce of integrity. But that's the model their bosses expect and thus exert that control. ;)

A quick aside, one of the drivers was OUTRAGED at a bad load on Friday. I mean, it wasn't bad, just not to his liking. He was throwing stuff and swearing, etc. Driver B says, with an audience of sups and drivers, and an equally screwed up load and dispatch - "I'm filing an injury report! My feelings are hurt right now and I need medical attention immediately!" It was pretty funny but goes to show how people react differently to adversity.
Just smile real big and say, I'ma make a lot of money today!

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
It always seems like the off the street newbie know-it-alls are the ones that have all the answers. Love how the OP goes as far as to crap all over us old timers that put in the time that kept this company in business all these years, that allows him to even have this job. Understand newbie, some day, maybe, you'll be that old timer.

Side note, those days we were on paper WERE the good ole days. No DIADs, no cell phones, no tracking, none of that crap. I know it's hard to believe, but technology ruined the Package Car Driver job! Saw management 2 minutes a day. And all on-roads and ctr. managers came from package. We only thought they were bad back then! We never could have imagined the quality decline of management that would take place over the years.

Glad I'm out!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
It always seems like the off the street newbie know-it-alls are the ones that have all the answers. Love how the OP goes as far as to crap all over us old timers that put in the time that kept this company in business all these years, that allows him to even have this job. Understand newbie, some day, maybe, you'll be that old timer.

Side note, those days we were on paper WERE the good ole days. No DIADs, no cell phones, no tracking, none of that crap. I know it's hard to believe, but technology ruined the Package Car Driver job! Saw management 2 minutes a day. And all on-roads and ctr. managers came from package. We only thought they were bad back then! We never could have imagined the quality decline of management that would take place over the years.

Glad I'm out!!
Amen !!!

JackDR

The drivers aren’t what kept UPS in business, the demand of shipping goods from one location to another is what kept the company going. They’d find drivers one way or another. I’m not “crapping on the old timers” but what many “old timers” fail to see/recognize is that business in 2018 is incredibly different than business from 1988 or even 1998. Technology and culture have evolved exponentially faster than that of what UPS can adapt to and stay “with the times” or even “AHEAD of the times”. UPS needs to modernize a bit, and improve management/supervisor quality.

JackDR

Simple example: don’t task the exact number of drivers to come in on Saturday as the number of planned routes; at least have ONE x-driver. So that way when a driver calls-in or doesn’t show, you don’t have to split the 160-180 stops up among four or five drivers and have them end up working 13 hour Saturdays.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
The drivers aren’t what kept UPS in business, the demand of shipping goods from one location to another is what kept the company going. They’d find drivers one way or another. I’m not “crapping on the old timers” but what many “old timers” fail to see/recognize is that business in 2018 is incredibly different than business from 1988 or even 1998. Technology and culture have evolved exponentially faster than that of what UPS can adapt to and stay “with the times” or even “AHEAD of the times”. UPS needs to modernize a bit, and improve management/supervisor quality.

Like I said, newbies have all the answers...

It's really no different than 1988. We've just dumped a crapload of drama on top of delivering cardboard boxes. You weren't there in '88, so you have no point of reference. I, on the other hand, was here in both 2018 and 1988. The real difference between 1988 and now is all the knowledge was between our ears back then. That was for both hourlies and management. Now a computer runs everything, and nobody knows how to do anything! You say we need more tech, I'm here to tell you the company ran better, more efficiently with less tech. And don't allow yourself to dismiss this as an old guy afraid of tech. Nothing could be further from the truth.

YUOVER95

Ask management if they can bring a DIAD IV you can use. Super high tech, it even has a handle so you can carry it around like a purse, or swing it around to keep dogs away.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Newsflash: UPS isn’t the military. Despite how much they try to assimilate with the standards. I’ve polished boots & shaved daily for the military. You’re probably bitter about me being Air Force because your ASVAB scores were only high enough to be a grunt eating crayons in the Army.
81a3155719a980320ac64fbe2a990714--military-humor.jpg

JackDR

Like I said, newbies have all the answers...

It's really no different than 1988. We've just dumped a crapload of drama on top of delivering cardboard boxes. You weren't there in '88, so you have no point of reference. I, on the other hand, was here in both 2018 and 1988. The real difference between 1988 and now is all the knowledge was between our ears back then. That was for both hourlies and management. Now a computer runs everything, and nobody knows how to do anything! You say we need more tech, I'm here to tell you the company ran better, more efficiently with less tech. And don't allow yourself to dismiss this as an old guy afraid of tech. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I’m not saying make the “tech” make decisions in place for management. I know for a fact that the ORION routing software/algorithm has multiple flaws and it is NOT the optimized route. I believe (in my center, at least) too many supervisors without area knowledge or delivering knowledge try to make uninformed decisions, and majority of the time it’s a poor decision.

wayfair

swollen member

sooooo, what you're saying is that you want more work???

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Years ago before I started, say the 90's and prior, being a UPS driver was a decent gig. You will hear a lot of old drivers talking about the good 'ol days and so on. Unfortunately Now it's a crap job, crap company with okay benefits and pay. I always suggest finding something else, before you get locked into an okay paycheck for a broken back/knees and dreading every day until retirement, etc. I like to look at life in the moment, not "you'll make it there in 30 years hang in there". That sounds like a dreadful existence.
I'm going to make over 100k this year. More than my friends who are engineers and what not. Going to be closer to 120k with all my 9.5 violations.

SmithBarney

Bottom line JackDR UPS doesn't want drivers who think.. so just stop now, they don't want your ideas, they don't want your input, they want you to go out and delivery packages at a speed and rate they dictate, that is your job, nothing more. If you want to make 'big' changes, then work your way up, and good luck. Until then, just be a good box jockey.