UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

UPS_Techie

Informed
disappointedinbrown said:
Okay read through posts all the time, first time poster due to this comment pissing me off! :mad:

For those of us (technical folks) that have worked through the ranks, we at one point or another did physical work in order to achieve our positions. Poblem with the technical community doing the driving job is we would not wine or complain half as much as the current drivers. :confused:1 I would kick any drivers AS* when it comes to physical labor.

Here was my reply to the post from over9five that you're talking about. I'm with you man.

"Most of the Techs that I know started at UPS doing physical work and still do. We process late air, move over 70's by ourselves, lift and move entire systems by ourselves, up stairs, ladders and in the ceiling of the buildings. Staying awake and sitting on my @ss, what's physical about that? I can connect/disconnect a trailer and a few hoses. Is it tough eating your lunch while you're going down the road or holding your piss for a few hours? Maybe it's that long climb into the Cab? Maybe for a fat person (not an insult to all fat people, SORRY! Just this one).

I can only speak for myself and my district but, you and/or UPS is full of $h!t."

bdva50 said:
What is frustrating in ECR is that it appears that NCR is getting some information. We are getting stonewalled by our management which is nothing new. They seem to thrive on keeping secrets.

Once again WRONG... :ohmy: We are not getting stonewalled by anyone at least not in this district. NCR knows their fate due to their different support structure and technical needs. I am very comfortable if my management knew anything in turn we would know. We all have management that have been in our positions at one time. They can see and put themselves in our shoes.

Lastly, lets stop assuming... I am tired of speculation of what is going to happen. If they are taking their time and that saves jobs, then take some time. I... like many of you have placed my life on hold until I get word on what is going on. This sucks but many big companies are doing the same thing but in larger numbers.

UPS_Techie

Informed
disappointedinbrown said:
Once again WRONG... :ohmy: We are not getting stonewalled by anyone at least not in this district. NCR knows their fate due to their different support structure and technical needs. I am very comfortable if my management knew anything in turn we would know. We all have management that have been in our positions at one time. They can see and put themselves in our shoes.

Lastly, lets stop assuming... I am tired of speculation of what is going to happen. If they are taking their time and that saves jobs, then take some time. I... like many of you have placed my life on hold until I get word on what is going on. This sucks but many big companies are doing the same thing but in larger numbers.

:mad:
No, no. He's right. I'm from the same Region. "Let's stop assuming". Just because you have a good team doesn't mean that ECR does as well. We're both getting nothing from our M-teams. We are always the last Region to find out any info. I get my info from contacts in other regions. From people I can count on and that have always been accurate.

I'm all for taking time and stalling cuts but, they already have the TSC closing schdule out. It's a few pages prior. Would you care to say what Region you are from? Maybe that would explain your fair treatment?

UPS_Techie

Informed
TSCer said:
Hey UPS_TECHIE, Any truth to the rumor that two-thirds of the techs in Metro Detroit took the serverance package?

Haven't heard a thing about Metro Detroit, Cach or such.
Sorry!
Maybe NCRtscisme has something for you.

Hangingon

It's been a long time since we've had to spell out any street designations. It would be fun to see you trying to make it as a driver though.

Hangingon said:
It's been a long time since we've had to spell out any street designations. It would be fun to see you trying to make it as a driver though.

You didn't get the joke but that's beside the point for this thread... It would be fun as a driver. I'd run circles around you guys. Don't think I didn't do any physical labor. My previous job was 70% physical and 30% technical work, with 80+ hours a week. I still remember the week when I put in 112 hours.

O

One of the few

I have read this thread and all I can think of is "wow". In all, I hate to see the good "quality" technicians losing their jobs and the ones that don't do or have any real technical expertise make the cut. I ultimately wish that UPS would base their job cuts on experience and "know how" versus a hire date. I know...I know...there are those that will say "but I have been here 15-20 years and that should account for something", well to that I say "if you can't do anything without being a 4-6 legged tech then what do you really bring to the table besides having a longevity". We are losing some really good people in all of this and I think UPS will definitely suffer from the loss of these techs that have the know how and tech saavy to do a great job for years to come.

I still do not know the full details of the cuts, as the TSG management hasn't seen it fit to elaborate totally what the final say is on exactly who and when, with exception of those that have already been toe tagged with a seperation date and those of us that fall under the May '97 cutoff were told we would be in a position to lose our jobs to displaced TSC personnel. I have read in this thread that there will be job placement for "some" TSG, well I know for a fact that the initial ones that are cut are not being given that option...regardless of time of service...where their length of time is greater than others. Which is quite contradictory to some of the things I have read here and to the "UPS Commitment" to it's people in regards to the length of service rules policy.

In all, it is sad...and I hate to see great techs get set aside and I wish all of those displaced...all the luck in the world on finding another job.

p.s.

I HATE AND BLAME PMT!!!! :P

ncrtscisme

TSCer, today I was told that the Michigan district (02/51) was going to lose 7 of their 25 internal TSG positions. And I believe that Noth Illinois External TSG (02/46) is losing 1 of the 9 or so positions they have (not sure about internal 46 TSG yet). That's all I know so far as the TSG positions go.

A

Anonymous Coward

over9five:

We have all seen the drivers act like using a DIAD is rocket science. I think you are angry that the "nerds" make 95% of your pay, don't have to spend 10hrs a day sweating and moaning, and can put a string of words together coherently. We all understand that the drivers are the backbone of this company, but it is ignorant ***** like you that are going to undo our greatness. UPS is willing to pay you more than many college grads make without even requiring a high school education. I mean you are getting paid to show up on time and drive a freakin' little brown truck around town all day! So please shut up and be thankful you stumbled your way into this job, or else your "career" would be "would you like fries with that?"

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
UPS_Techie said:
I agree. I specifically said that it wasn't the right thing to do!

I simply said that there ARE rumblings and most every TSC has it's handful of people that might do something like this. There are a lot of Techs with very little time in that will certainly be gone. I know it's against the law. I just think that it's something that the company should plan for.

*** Again, this wouldn't be the right thing to do! ***

I was only making reference to the rumor you mentioned in your post and hoping it wasn't true and why. I did not believe when I read your post you were speaking on behalf of yourself. I took your post to mean that you heard the rumor and was passing it on to the rest of us. Please read the post - I was not personalizing the post to you or accusing you of anything.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
in fact it was a good thing. No readings of endless emails as those in staff jobs let others know they were still alive. Could ya maybe tweak those servers? Anything that is sent via a daily email list gets scrambled with the virus scanners? Anything with the word late or missed in the subject line gets deleted. Anything with the words conference call in it returned to sender with a TOS violation notice.

lr1937

No one likes layoffs but stockholders are screaming for an increase in the price per share and ups is confronted with non union no benefits competitors. How else to you remain competitive. For those union members on the board, you had better take a look at your compensation package compared to competitors and be asking you union how they propose to protect your jobs down the road. How much is enough and how much will keep us competitive. If the volume goes so do you. Take a look at fedex ground drivers and imagine 5 years down the road. Is you future in big bucks and othe compensation now or is there anothe way for ups to remain cometitive with non union jobs.
The world is getting flat and global competition is here to stay. How does you union keep members and jobs in a global market place. How does you BA respond to this question?? Time to find out is now.

Hangingon

I've always wondered just how much of our stock is held by nonUPSers or retirees? (I include the Annie E. Casey foundation in the latter group) I certainly know none of the voting stock is. So when you say the stockholders are screaming for a higher price per share do you mean the people owning the large blocks of voting shares?

A

Anonymous Poster

Hangingon said:
I've always wondered just how much of our stock is held by nonUPSers or retirees? (I include the Annie E. Casey foundation in the latter group) I certainly know none of the voting stock is. So when you say the stockholders are screaming for a higher price per share do you mean the people owning the large blocks of voting shares?

You are dead wrong about nonUPSers and retirees holding A shares. They certainly do. My guess is you've never even seen a 'Brown Share'.

F

Frustrated in ECR

bdva50 said:
What is frustrating in ECR is that it appears that NCR is getting some information. We are getting stonewalled by our management which is nothing new. They seem to thrive on keeping secrets.

I hope that everyone realizes this is just the beginning of the way the upper management will treat everyone. To those that are protected by the union, I suggest you have some real strong negotiators. Why do you think UPS bought Overnite (a non union company )? I have heard more than one management type mention they will still be able to deliver a lot of freight even if there is a strike.

I agree with you. I look at all these posts and it appears that more and more regions and districts are getting some answers - maybe not the ones they want - but answers just the same. The ECR has not made any announcements in 2 weeks. TSG management says to talk to HR, HR says to talk to TSG management. I would appreciate it if management would at least tell us what has happened so far, what is being worked on and what the estimated timeframe would be. Maybe we need to snap some suspenders to get some action! Or maybe that wonderful ECR manager can get involved and help us out (RIGHT!!!).

UPS_Techie

Informed
tieguy said:
I thought of you folks yesterday when the email servers were acting up. :wink:

The TSC/TSG people that are effected by these cuts don't control these servers. They are controlled by Corp TSG.:confused:1

It just goes to show how uninformed you really are about this whole situation. It's no wonder you have so many posts. You have to back-track 4 or 5 times every post, to cover your stupidity. What a :censored2:!:wink: