UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

S

SEA1SUX

We are having the same conference call here. Supposedly about not spreading rumors!
LMAO

L

Lurker

There are two different groups in the technical support realm - field technicians (TSG - Technology Support Group) and the helpdesk (TSC- Technical Support Center). The TSC's are being shut down this year and those support calls will be outsourced. Many of the employees who are affected will be moving into TSG. Some TSG employees will also be affected based on their years with the company and other factors. Some of these affected employees will be moving into other positions in other departments. Some will opt to leave, and there is a possibility that a few may end up being layed off. Every effort is being made to avoid that.

TSG is NOT being shut down or outsourced. Technology is a critical part of the operation and the support that TSG provides will continue. Oregon TSG is alive and well. The TSC in Portland is scheduled to be shut down in the next couple of weeks. It all comes down to managing cost and maximizing resources. That's just good business.

L

`Lex

It Doesn't Look Like Anyone's Posted This Yet:

I Work In, And We Just Had Our Confrence Call. In 0932, There Will Be 28 Jobs Left After The Layoffs.

Unofficially, And Sketchy, From What I Understand, The 28th Tech Employee On The List Has A Start Date Of September 1999.

UPS_Techie

Informed
`Lex said:
It Doesn't Look Like Anyone's Posted This Yet:

I Work In, And We Just Had Our Confrence Call. In 0932, There Will Be 28 Jobs Left After The Layoffs.

Unofficially, And Sketchy, From What I Understand, The 28th Tech Employee On The List Has A Start Date Of September 1999.

Here are the numbers.

TSC and TSG combined was 57, now 28. Better (should say worse) than a 50% cut. Hope there isn't a round 2. Sickening!

UPS_Techie said:
Here are the numbers.

TSC and TSG combined was 57, now 28. Better (should say worse) than a 50% cut. Hope there isn't a round 2. Sickening!
OMG, that is AWFUL... Did they address how many (if any) will be able to move to other positions in the company? Or are they being given any choice?

UPS_Techie

Informed
Anothertsg

You're telling me! Awful!:mad:

They haven't ironed the details out yet. Should know over the next two weeks or so. More waiting. I'll post when we find out. Doesn't sound very good though. Techs are not allowed to choose grade 9 admin jobs, so the pickin's are slim. I posted before that we can TRY to get Feeder, Package car, Put our letter in for promotion, Inside Part time Sup, Inside Union worker. If we would get one of these jobs other than a promomotion, our Pay scale is set back as if we were a new hire. We'd keep our Length of service and the number of vacation weeks but, we'd pick those weeks last.

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
UPS_Techie said:
Just wanted to clear up my thoughts on the whole issue. I will still have a job, I'm not breaking anything. I'll be one of the ones fixing it. I didn't take it personally. Thanks for the follow-up though!
glad you didn't take it personally...

UPS_Techie said:
Anothertsg

You're telling me! Awful!:mad:

They haven't ironed the details out yet. Should know over the next two weeks or so. More waiting. I'll post when we find out. Doesn't sound very good though. Techs are not allowed to choose grade 9 admin jobs, so the pickin's are slim. I posted before that we can TRY to get Feeder, Package car, Put our letter in for promotion, Inside Part time Sup, Inside Union worker. If we would get one of these jobs other than a promomotion, our Pay scale is set back as if we were a new hire. We'd keep our Length of service and the number of vacation weeks but, we'd pick those weeks last.

It just FLOORS me that they can make a decision of this magnitude, but not have "details ironed out" anywhere in the friggin nation. How can anyone truly believe the fairy tale
"It all comes down to managing cost and maximizing resources. That's just good business."
HAHAAHHAA!!!! A company which supposedly prides itself on technology descimating it's tech support workforce? That's not good business, it's a severe lack of long term planning. To respect this kind of decision making is blind idiocy. An outsourced desk has ZERO chance of offering anything resembling support in an environment with as many home-brew, mission-critical applications as UPS. They will simply be an answering service for the TSG skeleton crew left behind.
Amazingly enough, the corp big dogs don't realize the long term insidious effect this has already begun to have on personnel THROUGHOUT THE COMPANY. No one thought UPS would treat their people like this, even during a downsizing. To see it happening, to people who offer support to all other departments and are therefore known to almost everyone, is frightening and demoralizing to most everyone. Everyone, including almost all management, is ASHAMED of what this company is doing. It is one more "cost saving" decision that is eroding the pride UPSer's used to have in working here. Why stand behind a company who treats long term employees like garbage? I remember a downsizing to a different department a few years ago, which involved more lost positions in our district than we will lose in TSG. All of these people were reassigned, except one who retired. So either the company has changed, or the company has very little use for its technical workforce.

tieguy

Banned
I keep seeing the use of outsourced desk . Why are you saying its outsourced when my understanding is Las Vegas stays open and is staffed by UPSers?

tieguy said:
I keep seeing the use of outsourced desk . Why are you saying its outsourced when my understanding is Las Vegas stays open and is staffed by UPSers?

You are truly unbelievable. He is saying it is outsourced because the LV center is not UPS. It is a private call center. It is the same people that staff our incredibly horrific external helpdesk. I assume the only reason your saying your understanding is that it is staffed by UPSers is that one person on here said it over 100 posts ago? If you have some sort other source to substantiate what your say post it! Otherwise get the friend* off here!

tieguy

Banned
Brown I won't respond to your ignorance other than to acknowledge it.

Anyway my question was posed to the sane here. From talking to the TSG people in my district I'm told the plan is to collapse call centers into one in las vegas that is staffed by upsers. Thus my question as to why you think its being outsourced.

tieguy said:
Brown I won't respond to your ignorance other than to acknowledge it.

Anyway my question was posed to the sane here. From talking to the TSG people in my district I'm told the plan is to collapse call centers into one in las vegas that is staffed by upsers. Thus my question as to why you think its being outsourced.

tie you have issues. ADHD perhaps?
The EXISTING call center that UPS currently uses to handle external... ie worldship support calls... is now also going to handle internal UPS calls previously handled by the TSC.
Is that too complicated for you to understand??

UPS_Techie

Informed
Tieguy!

UPS_Techie said:
The TSC/TSG people that are effected by these cuts don't control these servers. They are controlled by Corp TSG.:confused:1

It just goes to show how uninformed you really are about this whole situation. It's no wonder you have so many posts. You have to back-track 4 or 5 times every post, to cover your stupidity. What a :censored2:!:wink:

I guess you needed a few days to think about how to BS your way out of this post? Take your time, come up with something you feel is "clever":confused:1
You ignored my post because you're stuck again, nothing to say about being wrong... again.

Get your facts straight, before you open your mouth!

Make some calls, get the facts.
"Say what you know, not what you think you know":)

Crystal

tieguy said:

Tieguy, Brown is correct saying that the TSC jobs are going to a desk in Vegas. They are NOT UPS employees. My manager said something along the lines of them being light brown but they are the current external customer center desk. Your TSG might know something about whats going on with the TSG department but not too much when it comes to the TSC.

We in 09/35 are having a workforce Realignment meeting at 3:00P.M. today.

I'll post what we find out to let everyone get an idea of how bad our area is affected.

:sad:

tieguy

Banned
brown_blood said:
tie you have issues. ADHD perhaps?
The EXISTING call center that UPS currently uses to handle external... ie worldship support calls... is now also going to handle internal UPS calls previously handled by the TSC.
Is that too complicated for you to understand??

Why no Brown do you have ADHD? You seem to have a real hard time answering these questions. What wrong are you afraid I might catch you in a lie? Since you apparently have a copy of the master plan could you post it for us Brown and prove that las vegas will not be staffed by UPSers when this realignment is done?

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
Anonymous Coward said:
We got official word today that UPS will be laying off their technical work force. These are the hourly folks unprotected by the union.
I was a non-union Administrative employee 2 years ago and was "displaced". I'm not surprised to hear UPS is still laying off it's employees. A friend who still works there has just gotten her admin position "Cancelled". She has no job, UPS just deleted her job. So she had to scramble to find another non-union job at UPS. She had to take a job she didn't want. But hey, at least she still has a job. I was displaced, no chance of going back ....ever. So I went back to college full-time.

I no longer have the UPS headaches. I don't think I'll ever work in a company that allows the union into it.

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
tieguy said:
I'm a little confused Speed demon? How many drivers at UPS have you seen get laid off permanently?
Exactly! A layoff; you get your job back eventually. But when UPS starts cutting back it's technical and admin staff, they are let go for good. Drivers are protected by the union, but not tech guys or admin people.

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
ncrtscisme said:
Hello, fellow UPSers!
Unfortunately, i will not be able to say that for long because i am directly affected by this "layoff". Here is what I know so far. Nothing has been put in writing yet, but I'm hearing it all first-hand:

- there will be a "LIST" created containing every technician's name by order of seniority (this includes TSC, TSG and external TSG)...in my case, that list will contain all techs in district 46, 47, Region 02 offices, and CACH.
- there will be a "LINE" drawn at a yet-to-be-announced place in that list (rumor puts this line somewhere between 6 and 10 years of service as the cutoff)
- if you happen to currently work in a position that will NOT be eliminated AND you are above that line, then your job is supposed to be safe.
- if you are currently working in a position that WILL be eliminated and you are above that line, you will have the choice of A:leaving and taking a severance package, or B:bumping another tech out of his/her position if they are below that line and currently have a position that has not been eliminated.
- if you are below that line, you have but ONE CHOICE: to leave and take a severance package. You can NOT move to an open job in another department. However, if enough people who were above the line leave and as a result there are open positions left over (this would be HIGHLY UNLIKELY), then the people just below that line will be able to stay (with the last pick of job choices, of course).
this is exactly what happened to me and many other admin people, 2 years ago, the cutoff year was 16 years. Anybody who had been with the company 16 years of more kept their jobs. (But now those jobs are being "Cancelled"). We were offered positions far away. I turned down those positions and was given a severence package. I was well acquainted with The List and The Letter. Have the TSG guys gotten their letters yet? And I was also "bumped" out of my position by someone who was less quailified than I was for it.

Who the hell is thinking up these ridiculous ideas? When I first went to work for UPS I thought it was the best company in the world. Obviously I was disillusioned.

cinamingrl

Animal Lover
What was the most disgusting thing about us getting displaced was that the company began promoting people like crazy. I worked in HR and suddenly about 10 people a week were getting promoted into managent, while a lot of us admin people were put on "the list" and then displaced. Even my witch superviser was promoted to full-time during the same time hundreds of people were losing thier jobs.

I'd like to know why that company did not get rid of all of it's ******* managers? Instead of coming up with the ridicoulous plan they implemented, they should cut back on the higher paying management positions. The ones who stand around with their hands on their hips, pretending to be gods.Or the ones who refuse to give their admins fair raises.