ups misleading the masses

wrecker

Actually, in RI, and all of New England, contributions to pension and H&W funds are paid on all hours that the employee is paid for, up to a maximum of forty hours per week. If an employee works ten hours a day Monday thru Thursday, he has already gotten his forty hours maximum for the week. His overtime hours count. However he earns no additional benefits, and no contributions are made on his behalf, if he works on Friday.

All paid hours count toward the forty hour maximum, vacation days, holidays, sick days, etc.

Odd as it may seem, a New England employee who has gotten his forty hours maximum each and every week earns a full year of Pension Credit in the Pension Fund by Veterans Day. He earns no additional pension credit for working the rest of the year. Contributions are still made up to forty hours per week, but he accrues no additional pension credit. So if someone arranged to take every Peak Season off for their entire career, say, by using unpaid FMLA Leave, they would earn the same amount of Pension Credit as someone who suffered through each of those thirty or more Peak Seasons.

[Of course, taking even one Peak Season off would be wrong. So very wrong.]

I stand corrected.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I predicted back in November that this would happen. Lay off drivers so they can show all the powers that be that they are cutting jobs to save money in this down economy, then overload everyone else. It's happening here, we get on the 9.5 list and so far nothing has changed. Let the greivances roll!

JonFrum

Your vacation paid time is calculated using the previous years paid hours, correct?
Yes. In New England each vacation check is prorated, based on 1/52nd of your previous calendar year's total earnings.

Full-timers get a guaranteed minimum of forty hours pay; part-timers get a twenty hour minimum.

JonFrum

I predicted back in November that this would happen. Lay off drivers so they can show all the powers that be that they are cutting jobs to save money in this down economy, then overload everyone else. It's happening here, we get on the 9.5 list and so far nothing has changed. Let the greivances roll!
I pointed out a while back that the 9.5 contract language is a lot weaker than most people seemed to think. The tripple time pay is not a given, it's only one of several options at the National level. And there's that 9.5 Committee that has the power to modify the language details.

Anyway, now some of those 9.5 grievances have finally been heard at the National level, and the results are underwhelming.
http://tdu.org/files/ngcminutes-feb09.pdf

I pointed out a while back that the 9.5 contract language is a lot weaker than most people seemed to think. The tripple time pay is not a given, it's only one of several options at the National level. And there's that 9.5 Committee that has the power to modify the language details.

Anyway, now some of those 9.5 grievances have finally been heard at the National level, and the results are underwhelming.
http://tdu.org/files/ngcminutes-feb09.pdf
I hear that, but I will continue to file them. If for no other reason that to be a thorn that has to be pull out. I am very disappointed in the Teamsters that are part of the National 9.5 committee. The decisions they made so far completely circumvent the intent of the 9.5 language in the contract.