Ups my choice

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've already heard concerns from Customer Counter employees where these packages usually end up, about losing their jobs since it is a large part of what they do....

I hadn't even considered this when I read about this new service offering. We don't do a lot of SDWC's in my center so the impact would be minimal here.

Delivered

We'll probably have to turn leads in for this too. I figure it will take about a week before I have to break off with a plugged P1000 at 1045 to go and deliver some old lady's LL Bean sweater that I won't be able to find. But I'll gladly rack up the extra miles and $$

Remember there is no "I" in Team but there is one in OVERTIME!!!

THETOWN

Will they update the delivery notice to a four hour window or whenever you would like the delivery? No problem breaking off, I'm here to serve at your pleasure.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
i clipped the article that ran in the Business Section of the newspaper yesterday and brought in to work this morning.My On road and center manager claimed to have no idea about this new service,both said this was the first they had heard of it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A four hour window for delivery time, ok. There are gonna be alot of pissed of customers when johny fireball runner driver finds their package as a misload and just fires it in with pu pieces.

Debacle in the making, much worse than the brown ink pens some atlanta joker came up with about 5 years ago that did not show up on brown cardboard.
Not 4 hr............ 2 hr. That's what we were told today.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I especially love the part where the consignee pays $40/year for the premium 2 hour window, then gets charged an additional $5 every time the delivery is actually made in that time window.

UPSGUY72

The customer doesn't get to pick the time. UPS tell them a 4 hour time block when the package will get delivered. They have to pay something like $40 dollars a year for the 2 hr time block and again the customer doesn't get to pick the time UPS tell them when the 2 hr window will be. The customer can also have the package delivered to there local UPS store if the request that to start.

As far as signing for packages if the shipper request a signature they need to be there in person unless the shipper has a contract with UPS like apple does.

I would have to believe that UPS would notify these customers on the morning of the delivery. Else there is going to be big problem with all the add/cuts that happen everyday.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The customer doesn't get to pick the time. UPS tell them a 4 hour time block when the package will get delivered. They have to pay something like $40 dollars a year for the 2 hr time block and again the customer doesn't get to pick the time UPS tell them when the 2 hr window will be. The customer can also have the package delivered to there local UPS store if the request that to start.

As far as signing for packages if the shipper request a signature they need to be there in person unless the shipper has a contract with UPS like apple does.
If this is accurate, not saying that it isn't, I'm not sure this is any better than the customer picking the time. My OMS is notorious for her BAD timing. Somehow I doubt that our CSR's will be any better. They certainly aren't going to contact the driver to help determine an ETA.

What'dyabringmetoday???

One-hundred years from now, people will continue to get big, fat paychecks from UPS. I get what everyone is saying, but this place will keep going whether anyone likes how it is run or not. Most stay around and keep working. Kind of interesting, no?

UPSGUY72

One-hundred years from now, people will continue to get big, fat paychecks from UPS. I get what everyone is saying, but this place will keep going whether anyone likes how it is run or not. Most stay around and keep working. Kind of interesting, no?

Like most drivers there are days that I have some unkind words for my SUP's, dispatch and the preloader. However, I don't let it bother me too much anymore anymore it is what it is. This is how I look at it I make $30 hr with benefits it's like $50 hr. All for delivering cardboard. What the hell am I complain about.

DS

Fenderbender
I especially love the part where the consignee pays $40/year for the premium 2 hour window, then gets charged an additional $5 every time the delivery is actually made in that time window.

True,but some customers would be more than willing the pay this if they dealt in time sensitive merchandise or documents.
The problem is,this new service puts even more pressure on the driver by making him break trace for the special deliveries.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What about "storing" all these scheduled deliveries. There isnt enough room already for futures, and now we are going to jam up the small space with scheduled deliveries? Secondly, preload will be responsible for "pulling" all those scheduled deliveries and they cant even put the right stops in the car in the first place nor can they put the proper futures in the car on the right days.

The distance between my business area and my residential area is 5 miles. If im in my business area , I can assure you that I WILL NOT BREAK off and head up the hill for a ground package during that time.

The cost of delay would be 12 mins up the hill, 5 minutes to complete the stop, and 12 minutes back to my business area. Thats 29 minutes that I DO NOT HAVE. Thats just ONE DELAY. Imagine a multitude of scheduled deliveries?

Sounds like a bunch of service failures to me. Now I know some management person on this board is going to tell us that the "center team" will figure out all the delays, but let me be the first to say that management is the dumbest element of the UPS system and they couldnt figure out how to tape a box shut collectively.

Some OMS will try to make me leave my pickups and go make a delivery miles away? I dont think so.

This service will turn out to be another "DIS SERVICE" to the UPS customer. RIght now, I am doing between 50 and 70 stops after 6PM because I cant get to them before 5PM, now UPS is going to tell me that I have to break off and go deliver 1 package in that area?

Not in this lifetime. Heres the message "can you deliver 25011 elm st at 330PM, cust made an appointment with my choice UPS"... My response is "I wont be in that area till 830PM tonight, advise cust to leave porch light on"

Peace.

Not in this lifetime. Heres the message "can you deliver 25011 elm st at 330PM, cust made an appointment with my choice UPS"... My response is "I wont be in that area till 830PM tonight, advise cust to leave porch light on"

Peace.

"Work as directed or park the truck and walk back"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rural rtes are going to be the ones that are most affected by this new nightmare.

I disagree--I think those in urban areas are more likely to utilize this service while those in rural areas tend to be more patient or flexible.

I still think that we should wait to see how this thing shakes out before forming opinions. I don't know how many consignees who would be willing to pay $40 per year and $5 per delivery for this service.