UPS Supervisor is awarded 1.5 Million

A federal juge awarded a On-Road supervisor 1.5 Million for reporting (correctly) hours that were worked by drivers who were working over. He got fired and three years later he is a millionaire. He was terminated for another reason and the jury found that UPS fired him for being a whistle blower. Good for him, too bad for UPS, he was one of my first Sups and he was a good one. D, congrats on the win!!!

pretzel_man

A federal juge awarded a On-Road supervisor 1.5 Million for reporting (correctly) hours that were worked by drivers who were working over. He got fired and three years later he is a millionaire. He was terminated for another reason and the jury found that UPS fired him for being a whistle blower. Good for him, too bad for UPS, he was one of my first Sups and he was a good one. D, congrats on the win!!!

Did anyone actually read this case?

I finally found it and it has nothing to do with drivers working over....

There is a lot there, and I can see why region management did what they did. Bad situation overall and the result is probably best for all parties.

P-Man

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
that link really did not have much info.

it seems he felt that he fell under dot regulations since he and two other sups were forced to be out delivering packages.

as pman said, a sorry state of affairs that needed to be settled.

i do see where he tried to get punitive damages, but the court said nope.

wonder what the other two sups got?

d

pretzel_man

that link really did not have much info.

it seems he felt that he fell under dot regulations since he and two other sups were forced to be out delivering packages.

as pman said, a sorry state of affairs that needed to be settled.

i do see where he tried to get punitive damages, but the court said nope.

wonder what the other two sups got?

d

FYI...

He was terminated 7 months after the hours of service incident.

From my perspective, the termination had nothing to do with the DOT reporting. Of course, I'm biased but I believe clever lawyer tied it together in order to win a judgement.

P-Man

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
pman, what was the actual reason for termination, if you can post that information, as i think it is already public, i just cant find it.

and what about the other three sups in the lawsuit?

d

trickpony1

FYI...

From my perspective, the termination had nothing to do with the DOT reporting. Of course, I'm biased but I believe clever lawyer tied it together in order to win a judgement.

P-Man

Biased and naive as well.

pretzel_man

pman, what was the actual reason for termination, if you can post that information, as i think it is already public, i just cant find it.

and what about the other three sups in the lawsuit?

d

Here is the reader's digest version:

A supervisor (its not clear if this is an On Road supervisor or OMS) was working 80 hours at peak season. He realizes that if he was working 80 hours, having to go out and deliver is a DOT violation.

He send a letter to the region labor manager asking about it. After no response in 2 days he sends another. Three days later, he threatens to call the DOT if he gets no answer.

He is told to go home and they will decide if he has a job on Monday.

Five months later, he sends emails out (as part of a workforce flexibility committee) complaining about his management team. He aparrently speaks badly about people up to his district manager.

His management team thinks he is insubordinate. They start tracking his computer to see what else he has been writing.

They find other emails, use of the computer to look for jobs, etc.

By July, it comes to a head, and he is fired for mproper use of Company equipment, sending job resumes, applications, and job searches
from a UPS computer, composing and sending derogatory e-mails to peers. Negative comments directed toward District Manager and Division Manager included in e-mails.”

The other two people are fired / demoted for wrong coding on driver time cards. This was done based on an audit done by security.

P-Man​

Here is the reader's digest version:

A supervisor (its not clear if this is an On Road supervisor or OMS) was working 80 hours at peak season. He realizes that if he was working 80 hours, having to go out and deliver is a DOT violation.

He send a letter to the region labor manager asking about it. After no response in 2 days he sends another. Three days later, he threatens to call the DOT if he gets no answer.

Five months later, he sends emails out (as part of a workforce flexibility committee) complaining about his management team. He aparrently speaks badly about people up to his district manager.

His management team thinks he is insubordinate. They start tracking his computer to see what else he has been writing.

By July, it comes to a head, and he is fired for mproper use of Company equipment, sending job resumes, applications, and job searches
from a UPS computer, composing and sending derogatory e-mails to peers. Negative comments directed toward District Manager and Division Manager included in e-mails.”

The other two people are fired / demoted for wrong coding on driver time cards. This was done based on an audit done by security.

P-Man​

Or maybe it was just because he was from Idaho.....hmmm

trickpony1

Biased and 30 years in management at UPS. I know how things work...

P-Man

....I'm sure you do and I generally respect your posts and wisdom but I'm not so sure on this one.

The company is able to go back 9 months on hourly employees and, I'm told, clear back to date of employment at arbitration.

The DOT violation reported by this supe, I'm guessing, sufficiently pissed some one off enough that they were willing to wait until the supe commited another unrelated violation of the esprit de corps to terminate him.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

it is a dot violation, you can only work 70 and deliver/drive

ah, the labor manager, the one thing at ups that is usually lower than the snakes belly. and of course, the lm cant reply, doing so would admit there is a violation of the contract which his is suposed to uphold. we sure cant have that now can we?

ah yes, the "there are thousands out there that would kill for your job" routine. they always fall back on that one

painted that bulls eye on his back?

and when ups came looking for other things, they had no problem finding it, he gave them ample cause to fire him

P-Man

pman, thanks for your take on the situation, and the posting of the actual charges.

while trick has issues with your synopsis of the situation, i tend to agree with you, since the court did not award the punitive damages sought for lack of evidence of the
and the jury found that UPS fired him for being a whistle blower
which seems to have been an opinion, not fact.

had he not been so stupid, they would not had grounds for termination, which would have made the termination about being a whistleblower.

d

pretzel_man

....I'm sure you do and I generally respect your posts and wisdom but I'm not so sure on this one.

The company is able to go back 9 months on hourly employees and, I'm told, clear back to date of employment at arbitration.

The DOT violation reported by this supe, I'm guessing, sufficiently pissed some one off enough that they were willing to wait until the supe commited another unrelated violation of the esprit de corps to terminate him.

My experience and the facts just don't support your theory.

It would have been easy to fire him in December for insubordination.

In May, they could have done it again. He brought the issue on himself sending out those stupid emails.

Now, from May to July they were looking to get him. No question about that. I've seen that before.

If they wanted to get him, they could have started in January. His incident in December certainly didn't help his case, but that didn't have anything to do with it.

If a supervisor decides to send out derogatory emails about your district and division manager is going to get the termination ball rolling whether or not someone questions hours worked at peak season.

P-Man

Braveheart

That is what we need more of. Upper management intimidates the on-roads knowing they will always be protected while the lower guys get fired.

All the on-roads need to show some back bone and stand up to these tyrants.

Good for this guy and please post this lawyers name for many more may want to give him a call.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
FYI...

P-Man

Looks like the legit DOT issue that he brought up started a witch hunt. He handled it totally wrong and embarrassed his district management group by sending the information to region. Even if he was clean his life would have been a living he'll at that point.

I hope his management team felt the pain too. They should be disciplined for allowing this DOT violation to continue. He didn't need to write anyone a letter about this. They already knew he was in violation and looked the other way. It happens with management people all the time.

Another thing - it's wrong to let anyone work 80 hours a week no matter what time of year it is.