Upset is an understatement!!!!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
​I worked in the hub for 5 years.
I drove for 17 months and was in operations for another 5 years in various management positions in operations.

If you haven't worked in the hub, you ain't diddly.

​I assume you did not work in the hub since you have nothing but disdain for part-timers.
Truth.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Which sort in the hub and what positions? Not trying to flame you, just asking.
Atlanta Hub - Assigned Twilight sort but I usually worked two sorts per day and many times 3 sorts and even 4 sorts per day on occasion (usually Fridays).
I worked every chance I got.
Unload, sort aisle and load.
Also preload boxline sort as well as preload.
BTW, I was a P/T Carwash supervisor for about a year before going driving.

PT Car Washer

Atlanta Hub - Assigned Twilight sort but I usually worked two sorts per day and many times 3 sorts and even 4 sorts per day on occasion (usually Fridays).

I would say you have earned your opinions.

The Milkman

I drove for 17 months and was in operations for another 5 years in various management positions in operations.

​I assume you did not work in the hub since you have nothing but disdain for part-timers.

Wow 17 Months...Then the letter, After over 18 yrs on the road I transfered to the (Secaucus) Meadowlands Hub. I think you would of heard of it, I believe it had 276 doors and ran 24 hours a day FYI, for 7 months alongside many part timers, then when there was an opening closer to my home I transfered back to Edison Hub and worked with many part timers for over 8 yrs at the Customer counter, and overgoods at times. I saw the way they were treated and bussed in from Nearby NYC while at the Meadowlands Hub, because UPS had a hard time keeping them, turnover was crazy. Also helped High value clerks and some in smalls, so shut your Pie hole

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow 17 Months...Then the letter, After over 18 yrs on the road I transfered to the (Secaucus) Meadowlands Hub. I think you would of heard of it, I believe it had 276 doors and ran 24 hours a day FYI, for 7 months alongside many part timers, then when there was an opening closer to my home I transfered back to Edison Hub and worked with many part timers for over 8 yrs at the Customer counter, and overgoods at times. I saw the way they were treated and bussed in from Nearby NYC while at the Meadowlands Hub, because UPS had a hard time keeping them, turnover was crazy. Also helped High value clerks and some in smalls, so shut your Pie hole

Not hardly as long as I keep getting responses like this.
​It makes it all worthwhile.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
New hire Part-Time employees have had a wage progression. It was not new in 2008.

start$8.50$8.50$8.50$10.00
90days$9.00$9.50
1 year$9.00$9.50$10.00$10.50
2 year$9.50$10.00$10.50$11.00
3 year$10.00$10.50$11.00$12.00
4 year$10.75$11.25$11.87$12.50

Yep. You're right, I just checked the 1997 contract and found it.

I guess I never realized I was in a progression when I was a junior part-timer. It didn't help that I spent most of my early 20's drunk. :sick:

The Milkman

Not hardly as long as I keep getting responses like this.
​It makes it all worthwhile.

You worked the Hubs because your strings were pulled, went where they told you to go, no matter the shift Yes Sir! A Yes man, you had to be otherwise they would of come down hard on you. I drove for over 18yrs whoopee dee frikkin doo...but you could only make it 17 months... I chose to get off the road for physical reasons, did you? was 48 when I went inside, Hub work, driving, Feeders every Job is tough at Ups. But alot of respect from me goes to the P/Ters' because I have seen the Boot Camp mentality that goes on daily and how they are abused, more than likely like people like yourself, They are not Yes men neither am I..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No Guilt here Pops.......You did not answer my question...Did you ever drive and I mean not just 3 weeks, then put your letter in because you could not hack it..Just wondering? No memories because you don't have any......:surprised:

You worked the Hubs because your strings were pulled, went where they told you to go, no matter the shift Yes Sir! A Yes man, you had to be otherwise they would of come down hard on you. I drove for over 18yrs whoopee dee frikkin doo...but you could only make it 17 months... I chose to get off the road for physical reasons, did you? was 48 when I went inside, Hub work, driving, Feeders every Job is tough at Ups. But a lot of respect from me goes to the P/Ters' because I have seen the Boot Camp mentality that goes on daily and how they are abused, more than likely like people like yourself, They are not Yes men neither am I..

Well good for you, glad it worked out.
It worked out well for me as well and I am grateful it did.
I was a part-time Teamster who went where opportunity existed when I worked all the double and triple shifts.
I left driving because, at that time, you could make a lot more money and get awarded stock which was privately held and was doubling in value on average every 6 years. Unfortunately, management at UPS does not offer that rosy outlook in today's world to management.

In 40 years at UPS, I never observed or found a job at UPS that was not tough.

As for "Yes Men" ... everyone at UPS is a Yes Person because we all have to do stuff we don't want to do.
Think about it!

​I have an established history of standing up for Part-time Teamster employees and encouraging drivers insist their plight be rectified in contract negotiations. Unlike you, who said they got what they deserved and they should have voted. I believe in looking out for the less fortunate, especially if they were my Teamster brothers and sisters.

I hope you are enjoying your early retirement achieved on the back of your part-time Teamster brothers and sisters.

I would froth at the mouth and express myself using cuss words but I am not a bitter old man ... old but not bitter.

The Milkman

I was a part-time Teamster who went where opportunity existed when I worked all the double and triple shifts.
I left driving because, at that time, you could make a lot more money and get awarded stock which was privately held and was doubling in value on average every 6 years. Unfortunately, management at UPS does not offer that rosy outlook in today's world to management.

As for "Yes Men" ... everyone at UPS is a Yes Person because we all have to do stuff we don't want to do.
Think about it!

​I have an established history of standing up for Part-time Teamster employees and encouraging drivers insist their plight be rectified in contract negotiations. Unlike you, who said they got what they deserved and they should have voted. I believe in looking out for the less fortunate, especially if they were my Teamster brothers and sisters.

I hope you are enjoying your early retirement achieved on the back of your part-time Teamster brothers and sisters.

I would froth at the mouth and express myself using cuss words but I am not a bitter old man ... old but not bitter.

I agree with most you say of your career but as far me saying they got what they deserved, I only meant that if ALL P/Ters got together and got involved in the issues facing all of them, then maybe their voting block could of changed things over the yrs. But most as you know dont give a hoot about getting involved. They get worked to death and cant get out of the building fast enough let alone hang around and get involved with Shop stewards etc. My retirement was earned by ME not everyone else as you say. Your retirement pkg was earned on ALL our backs. Push push push for more Sph. etc etc. I always thought from day 1 that I made a fair hourly rate, $8.50 back in 81 was fair, the erosion of their pay IMO was not the friend/Ters faults but again the bonus dangled in front of them at least once and them not banding together half as much as any center did. Many had other jobs to go to and UPS was a benefit pkg for most of them. I encouraged the preload on my line to get involved but they for the most part just wanted to wrap up and go..This is the end result yrs later. We are all Yes men as "Work as Directed" but I was no butt kisser like others.I could work as directed and file a grievence, in your case I believe you just had to suck it up and take it...When you started 40 yrs ago........... now I know why you only drove 17 months, I am sure you will agree it was not easy, and also the lure of stock back then had you thinking about jumping ship into management. I am sure you found out quickly that it was not that easy, and also a mental challenge. You earned your retirement, I earned mine...We both deserve it...We come from a different time in Ups history. Peace:peaceful:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Think about it!

We disagree on a lot of things but posts like these are why I respect you.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Another example of senior drivers voting more money for themselves at the expense of their future brothers.

UPS Drivers are greedy bastards as far as I can tell, never caring for anyone but themselves.
I care a great deal about my preloader and the stellar loads he affords me on a daily basis.
​As in the past few years, I will again send him and his family on an all expense paid vacation to Kauai in the spring as a token of my appreciation!

Nimnim

The Nim
I care a great deal about my preloader and the stellar loads he affords me on a daily basis.
​As in the past few years, I will again send him and his family on an all expense paid vacation to Kauai in the spring as a token of my appreciation!

But does every FT driver do as you do? If so there would never be any negative impact on the pt wages and benefits.

I know a majority of pters don't follow union politics or vote but with such a large turnover in the pt ranks how many have even been there for a year to know what they're voting on? I know at least in my local the pters get like a 10 minute speech in their training and then nothing from the union unless they really seek it out.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

That "token" borders on lunacy unless your philanthropy is funded my means other than your compensation as a package car driver.
I guess it's possible that you and your loader could already reside in Kauai?
Or perhaps your loader is your spouse?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That "token" borders on lunacy unless your philanthropy is funded my means other than your compensation as a package car driver.
I guess it's possible that you and your loader could already reside in Kauai?
Or perhaps your loader is your spouse?

Here's a hint. TP-60.