US Economy

rickyb

Are you happy where you live? If so how happy? Purely subjective.

sure. it was 1 line in a massive article i posted LOL

but then again u could do a survey and get a general sense of how happy people are, and some countries would be better than others.

oldngray

nowhere special
sure. it was 1 line in a massive article i posted LOL

but then again u could do a survey and get a general sense of how happy people are, and some countries would be better than others.

Again how would someone living in country A know what it is like living in country B? No basis for comparison.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Another meaningless link. Because it is impossible to quantify "happiness".

We are talking about societies as a whole...not individuals. Just because you go to church every Sunday, enjoy "Gomer Pyle" re-runs, and hate all of our Communist social programs, it doesn't mean those things make others "happy" too.

Broad societal indicators have pointed toward the Scandinavian countries as excellent places to live for many years. One of the prime reasons is socialized health care.

oldngray

nowhere special
We are talking about societies as a whole...not individuals. Just because you go to church every Sunday, enjoy "Gomer Pyle" re-runs, and hate all of our Communist social programs, it doesn't mean those things make others "happy" too.

Broad societal indicators have pointed toward the Scandinavian countries as excellent places to live for many years. One of the prime reasons is socialized health care.

Scandinavian society is different and their happiness has nothing to do with socialized health care. They are very homogenous populations without the friction caused by culture clashes. Or they were. That is changing with many immigrants especially to Sweden creating many of the same problems other countries have been facing.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
Scandinavian society is different and their happiness has nothing to do with socialized health care. They are very homogenous populations without the friction caused by culture clashes. Or they were. That is changing with many immigrants especially to Sweden creating many of the same problems other countries have been facing.
Again how would someone living in country A know what it is like living in country B? No basis for comparison.

rickyb

my point was if u ask 1000 people "are you happy" or rate your happiness on a scale of 1 - 10, you could compare the scores between countries. i agree happiness is subjective. and if u actually watched the video you would see that they point out the guaranteed healthcare, free college, etc etc as likely contributing factors to that happiness.

again it was 1 line in a big paragraph i wrote on how danes have a higher standard of living working at mcdonalds than americans.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The old people in Sweden can't except other races or cultures either?

rickyb

defenders of capitalism come at me:

http://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Employee-Review-UPS-RVW6707784.htm

“customer service rep ”

Current Employee - IT Helpdesk

I have been working at UPS
3 OUT OF 5 STARS

Doesn't Recommend

Disapproves of CEO
Pros

Easy to follow procedures and written processes to follow
Easy call center work environment

Cons

They limit our bathroom breaks to 4min per day, and you can't go over 20 min per week
which is ridiculous. I think banning us and limit our bathroom breaks is Illegal

Advice to Management

Not a good place to be at. Look someplace else

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

this is why workers should own and control the jobs they work in. time to eliminate capitalism and take back our dignity, our money, and our lifestyles

rickyb

i was listening to a chomsky talk from the 90s, and he said in 1985 americans had the highest wages in the developed world (what you would expect from the wealthiest country in the world), and by 1990 americans had the lowest wages in the developed world

oldngray

nowhere special
i was listening to a chomsky talk from the 90s, and he said in 1985 americans had the highest wages in the developed world (what you would expect from the wealthiest country in the world), and by 1990 americans had the lowest wages in the developed world

Not true. Just something he said. Which was incorrect as were most things he said.

rickyb

THom Hartmann says:
"While the top earners in the bottom 50 percent of Americans only make 36,000 dollars a year."

so the median income in america is roughly $17/hr.... I dont call that middle class.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
THom Hartmann says:
"While the top earners in the bottom 50 percent of Americans only make 36,000 dollars a year."

so the median income in america is roughly $17/hr.... I dont call that middle class.
If both spouses work, then the household income is $72,000 PER YEAR.
THAT IS MIDDLE CLASS.

bbsam

Staff member
THAT IS MIDDLE CLASS.
So if a FedEx Ground contractor pays $36k per year, that's fine and the spouse/significant other should do their part to make them middle class.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So if a FedEx Ground contractor pays $36k per year, that's fine and the spouse/significant other should do their part to make them middle class.
Whatever they want!
When you compare middle class back when the wifey did not normally work:
Middle class meant:
One car
Smaller house <=1200 sq ft
No denture work (we looked English)
No expensive vacations ... maybe go to the beach or visit relatives and stay with them
Kids went to public school

The excess consumeristic America is the result of a two family income.

rickyb

THAT IS MIDDLE CLASS.

lets not forget women used to not work and 1 man could single handedly provide for his family.
i watched some PBS frontline documentary with bill moyers, they followed 2 families for 30 years in cities that were de-industrialized. 1 guy who had a manufacturing job made $40/hr, and lost it, and after 30 years of trying, the couple together were finally able to earn the $40 that the 1 guy earned by himself.

u can barely get by on $15/hr right, so why would $17/hr be middle class.

rickyb

this video is a must watch. prof richard wolff, who graduated harvard, stanford, and yale, and is a professional economist, usually does a speech like this about what is happening to the middle class in america, but this one is special because its got illustrations too.