use of ipods..

mainebrown

i was wondering if we are aloud to use ipods white driving...i have an iphone and it would be great to use on a rural route...if we arn't aloud..what kinda trouble can we get into?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i was wondering if we are aloud to use ipods white driving...i have an iphone and it would be great to use on a rural route...if we arn't aloud..what kinda trouble can we get into?
Hook it up to some speakers and you won't have a problem. DOT rules forbid wearing headsets while driving a commercial vehicle, though you could probably get away with it in your personal car. You may want to use the Brown Cafe search assistant on this one, as it's an ongoing discussion in another thread.

Ghost in the Darkness

if we arn't aloud..what kinda trouble can we get into?

I wouldn't recommend doing it because its bad habit to get into mainly because it will affect your ability to hear and it also looks unproffessional. I have a Milwaukee portable radio the has the capability of hooking up to my Ipod... it works great. The radio itself runs on a rechargable 28volt battery (can be used for power tools too) and has the ability to charge my Ipod and it runs fine all day.

UPSGUY72

Beside the DOT rules, each state has rules to. Get Some speakers if you want to listen to music. You could lose your job.

NHDRVR

The DeWalt radios are extremely popular in our building and most of us run our mp3 players through them.
Don't wear earbuds. They are illegal while driving and you don't need the hassle.

switchoff

Eye wére end ipΦd at werk, eye just keåp the voluum lowe. Eye can here everythiⁿG

City Driver

Hook it up to some speakers and you won't have a problem. DOT rules forbid wearing headsets while driving a commercial vehicle, though you could probably get away with it in your personal car. You may want to use the Brown Cafe search assistant on this one, as it's an ongoing discussion in another thread.

i thought it was illegal to even drive a car with headphones on

TheDick

I have e DeWalt boombox and it'll play an ipod just fine but a headphone booster would help as a pre-amp to help drive the music coming from ipod.
Radio shack has them. And yeah you'd probably lose ur job for that one.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Funny that is illegal to ride with headphones of any sort in/on your ears while operating a motorized vehicle yet, I see motorcycle riders doing it all the time

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Funny that is illegal to ride with headphones of any sort in/on your ears while operating a motorized vehicle yet, I see motorcycle riders doing it all the time

Recommended that on one ear is plugged ... also, many are mixed with their GPS unit for directions.

Dustyroads

Sears sells a great little craftsman radio that has a plug for ipod/mp3 input. The radio has good reception, and the speaker can still be heard over the screaming engine noise. They use a 19.5 volt craftsman cordless drill battery and will play about 14 hours on a one hour quick charge. A bargain under $30, and you don't look like a goofball with your earplugs in.

M

Mike23

I picked up a Eton. It's smaller then our diads (so why can't our diads have a radio?!) and fits in my DIAD holder. I can hear it just right in a 1000 (and those who drive a 1000 know how much they ROOOOOAR).

It cost me $50 at the source and I also picked up the $25 3 year warranty on it. According to the guy if it breaks (being dropped, etc...) they replace it! I couldn't pass up on that considering how often we break things at UPS! Then another $50 for battery charger and rechargeable batteries. I've now used the radio for 24 hours without having to replace the batteries once.

Oh, it also has a flashing light (red or white) and flashlight AND a siren (because sirens are pretty darn cool). It's also crankable incase your battery does die. Apparently it's 2 turns per 90 secs of tune time.

As you can probably tell...I like it...A LOT!

Cementups

Box Monkey
This is what I have in my PC. It's rather large but it thumps pretty well. No problems hearing it in or out of the PC. It straps to the little shelf that sticks out and supports the DIAD holders with the help of a couple of bungees.