vacation/sick/personal time cashed out when you leave UPS?

rellek

I have recently left UPS and asked if my 40 hours vacation, 7 personal, and 8 sick days would be disbursed to me. My supervisor told me no then sighed to himself saying all people want is free money. However one of my co-workers said he is wrong. Who is right? Do I get cashed out?

UPSGUY72

I have recently left UPS and asked if my 40 hours vacation, 7 personal, and 8 sick days would be disbursed to me. My supervisor told me no then sighed to himself saying all people want is free money. However one of my co-workers said he is wrong. Who is right? Do I get cashed out?

You will get paid for any time that you haven't used. You asked the wrong person in your next job if you have a question about pay or benefits talk to the HR person NOT your SUP.

JonFrum

Check your Supplement for proof of the exact number of paid-off days you are entitled to.

They should be paid to you as follows . . .

ARTICLE 23. SEPARATION OF EMPLOYMENT
Upon discharge, the Employer shall pay all money due to the employee during the first (1st) payroll department working day. Upon quitting, the Employer shall pay all money due to the employee on the payday in the week following such quitting.
- - - -
If you continue posting on Browncafe, will you change your name to RellekFromThePast??? :wink2:

OptimusPrime

Wtf contract are you working under? Been working for UPS 10 years, and get 3 personal days, and ZERO sick days. You have 7 personal days? Are you retiring? Or am I working in the wrong state or something?

klein

Für Meno :)
I never heard of optional days or sick days getting paid out upon leaving, either !

Here, he would be entitled to his vacation pay only !

Actually, come to think of it, I never heard of sick days either at UPS.
They were just all combined as 5 optional days per year.
Wether they be used for sick or personal use, no matter...., but they don't get paid out upon leaving !

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would file a grievance, which you have the right to, and include Art.50 double pay/penalty pay. Then, tell your center manager how much you like FREE MONEY!
:rofl:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wtf contract are you working under? Been working for UPS 10 years, and get 3 personal days, and ZERO sick days. You have 7 personal days? Are you retiring? Or am I working in the wrong state or something?

Probably because you chose option 1 in your handling of personal/sick time. (if that is the right option, someone double check that)

You can either keep your sick/personal days "floating" or you can lump 5 together and make another vacation.

Here, we get 5 sick days and 3 personal holidays. There are options to take 3 sick/2 personal days to make a vacation, or all 5 sick days, as well as keep them banked for later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We get 4 personal and 5 sick days here. We do not have to option of carrying them over to the following year and get paid for any unused days 2 weeks before the end of the year. In my 22 years I have never been paid for unused days; in fact, I normally am out of days by September, if not earlier. If scheduling permits they will let us use personal/sick days as a vacation but it is not in our supplement to do so.

Johney

4 sick days 3option days and 1 personal holiday. If you choose that option of the 3 available. None to be paid if you leave before using them.

Option 1-58 hrs paid as an added week of vacation
Option 2-58 hours paid to you in a check
Option 3-7 days paid as stated above at 8 hrs each(which works out to be only 57 hours) so with this you loose out on 2 hours.
Everyone gets 1 personal holiday no matter which option you choose

menotyou

bella amicizia
We get 4 personal and 5 sick days here. We do not have to option of carrying them over to the following year and get paid for any unused days 2 weeks before the end of the year. In my 22 years I have never been paid for unused days; in fact, I normally am out of days by September, if not earlier. If scheduling permits they will let us use personal/sick days as a vacation but it is not in our supplement to do so.
What are these options everyone is talking about? I wasn't offered options. Were you?

Nimnim

The Nim
What are these options everyone is talking about? I wasn't offered options. Were you?

They're in the supplement so not everyone has them or the same ones. I don't recall the exact language for mine in the southern region, but option one is use it as an extra week of vacation chosen at the same time as vacation picks. Option two is work through it but get paid for it at a time of your choosing and it's able to be rolled into 401k or something. Option three is get 7 days to be used as option or sick days.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I said "here" but a little later in the post. We all know things vary by supplement.

Yeah, I know. I was kinda directing it towards Upstate, since he and I are in the same local. He started a few years before me, so I didn't know if he had heard anything about this in our area.

Thank you for the replies, Nimnim and Sleeve. It always fascinates me the differences from region to region. I think it would be a lot less complicated if we had one contract, though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, I know. I was kinda directing it towards Upstate, since he and I are in the same local. He started a few years before me, so I didn't know if he had heard anything about this in our area.

Thank you for the replies, Nimnim and Sleeve. It always fascinates me the differences from region to region. I think it would be a lot less complicated if we had one contract, though.

You get 5 and 4 but we have some pretty favorable language in our supplement compared to other areas. It's all good. I agree, this (holidays, vacation etc) should be standard across the country.