Verbal warnings, regarding misloads.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ChrisTheBrown, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ChrisTheBrown

ChrisTheBrown Active Member

I was out of work sick today...Loaded trucks yesterday. My preload supervisor just sent me a message for tomorrow's start time, & I thought I'd ask him if I had any misloads yesterday..He told me that I had 6, & that he has to give me a "verbal warning" regarding the misloads..
    I doubt this is anything that I should be worrying about..Is it basically just a little slap on the hand? Hopefully, if anything, this will keep me in the unload on a regular basis, where I normally am while working preload.
  2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Your steward should be present for any warnings given.
  3. He'll talk to you about it, document it in the computer, and you'll go back to work. But I'd highly recommend you work to drop that number. Not good.
  4. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

The start of progressive discipline. Nothing really to worry about.
  5. ChrisTheBrown

ChrisTheBrown Active Member

It's the highest number I've ever had..As I can recall..I don't load that often.
  6. laffter

laffter Active Member

Unless someone at a higher level is pressuring local management to follow through with progressive discipline for misloads, all you'll ever get are "verbal warnings".

I've only been at UPS a few years, but the only time I've seen anyone get suspended for misloads was about a year ago when it was the flavor of the month.

If it ever gets to that point for you, talk to your steward. The burden is on UPS to prove that nobody but you entered any of your trucks between the time you arrived until the driver left the building. So, unless they have cameras, which they don't, they can't prove anything. If your union local is strong enough, no discipline for misloads should ever stick. It's on you to fight it, though. If you do get suspended or terminated down the line, it's too late to say "you can't prove any of those previous misloads" if you haven't grieved any of their previous disciplinary actions.

That being said, a conversion over the phone does not constitute a verbal warning. Unless your supervisor and steward meet with you in the coming days, there was no verbal or written warning.
  7. Number24

Number24 #24

You should be afraid, be very afraid :-)
  8. MendozaJ

MendozaJ Active Member

When my sup says, "Two misloads, what's up with that," I consider that a verbal warning, however it's construed.
  9. Rawrzxor

Rawrzxor Member

I've had 6 or 7 verbal warnings this past year. My first month, last year, I got a written warning for 12 misloads. :censored2:ed up thing was, i gave my scanner to a sup so he could power scan.

They even give your entire area a warning if a box gets thrown in without being scanned.

They take that :censored2: seriously, if it happens enough. That's their money, and you don't want to :censored2: with a companies money--that's all they care about. They probably factor in some odd amount of money to be lost on misloads, so if they go over thwt, they start cracking heads and giving examples by hanging some poor sod in the hub.

But, you'll know it's getting serious when you get a written warning, then a suspension the next time. In any case, you should work on not getting misloads, just to keep them off your ass.
  10. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

they're starting progressive discipline for how you loaded a truck, but you're not usually a loader?

that sounds kind of :censored2:ed up to me. what do they really expect when they switch your role up from day to day? Of course there's going to be :censored2:-ups... if they kept it consistent they might get consistent results....
  11. cardboard-surfer

cardboard-surfer New Member

Next thing you know when loading feeders the receiving hub will write you up and demand your signature on a warning letter for causing overgoods spills, because of course a feeder never goes over potholes in the city and never, ever spills the walls all over the should always arrive in perfect condition with a perfect wall and of course cheap flimsy boxes should be perfectly intact with no overgoods spills.

12. It may be that way in your area, but that doesn't mean all of UPS handles it this way. Some people treat this issue very seriously and will aggressively pursue discipline for misloads. In my center progressive discipline is routine for misloads, it's not a flavor of the month.
  13. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Just by giving a crap you're going to be better than 1/2 the playing field. Just try your best and make an honest attempt at doing your job safely and efficiently, you'll be fine.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

If your really that bad you could find yourself back in the primary which isn't really that bad.
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  15. PT Car Washer

In my building if they disciplined preloaders for misloads we would have no preploaders.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

They've talked to a preloader in my center who comes in late at least 2-3 days a week, always calls in, always tries to leave early, doesn't really give a :censored2: to be honest, he's just that kind of person, younger guy who came from fedex, they tell him to keep his misloads down so often I'm surprised they haven't turned blue in the face, he's signed 3 progressive discipline misload sheets in the last 3-4 months and they've never done a thing. I'm convinced it's a joke
  17. porkwagon

porkwagon Active Member

6 misloads is alot and creates a hardship for others or service failures. Read all the labels before loading. Bring that number down.
  18. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

Work a very safe, comfortable pace with zero misloads...and see how fast they come after you for the "drop in production". It's a no-win, just do your best and forget about it.
  19. PT Car Washer

Misloads are the Centers problem. The preload manager just wants the packages out of the trailers and into a package car and out the door. By the time the misload messages start coming in he will be home.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Sounds to me that they need to hire a lot more help to slow things down.