Volume shortage

DOK

They tell us overall volume is down but if someone calls in they have to cut a route Wednesday and Thursday because we don’t have any extras to cover it. Saturday they are begging people to volunteer and trying to force people in and it’s not working.

But what do they expect when people expect to work and they only do 2-3 days a week. People aren’t sticking around for it.
Back in the day we all stuck around

Just gotta adapt and act like them.
No this job has changed a lot over the decades and unfortunately many of the new people do not want to go driving.
And with so many other places raising their starting wages UPS isn't attractive is it used to be but on the other hand these people don't realize how much our benefits cost and what they are worth to them.
Not too many jobs have a pension plan anymore and especially if you are part-time

JustDeliverIt

Back in the day we all stuck around

I get that to an extent. If you got hired as a driver, even as a T-S driver, you expect to work T-S. People got bills to pay, and when they get dicked around they quit. Can’t blame them. Can’t take a second job because they want to give this one a honest chance then don’t get the hours.

The money/benefits/pension can be worth it in the long run but they aren’t giving people the chance make it a lot of times.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I get that to an extent. If you got hired as a driver, even as a T-S driver, you expect to work T-S. People got bills to pay, and when they get dicked around they quit. Can’t blame them. Can’t take a second job because they want to give this one a honest chance then don’t get the hours.

The money/benefits/pension can be worth it in the long run but they aren’t giving people the chance make it a lot of times.
At least when I started I worked 9 months and collected unemployment for 3. After 2 1/2 years I got on the seniority list. 2 year progression and done. Today, I can’t imagine putting up with the BS they put guys thru.

JustDeliverIt

At least when I started I worked 9 months and collected unemployment for 3. After 2 1/2 years I got on the seniority list. 2 year progression and done. Today, I can’t imagine putting up with the BS they put guys thru.

That’s it as well. Took me 10+ years as a Pt to get a chance to drive. Then a 4 year progression so almost 15 years to get to top rate. But I knew what this place was.

They hire these people off the street and it’s culture shock. They get coddled for the first week or two, then treated like everyone else. Once they qualify, work 2 or 3 days a week. Until vacations hit, then we need you 6 days. Then wonder why no one inside wants to drive and off the street hires don’t stay.

UnionStrong

That’s it as well. Took me 10+ years as a Pt to get a chance to drive. Then a 4 year progression so almost 15 years to get to top rate. But I knew what this place was.

They hire these people off the street and it’s culture shock. They get coddled for the first week or two, then treated like everyone else. Once they qualify, work 2 or 3 days a week. Until vacations hit, then we need you 6 days. Then wonder why no one inside wants to drive and off the street hires don’t stay.
It’s ridiculous. I never even worked part time, I was an off the street casual. But we could work most of the year back then. I seldom missed a full week from April through peak.

UnionStrong

Off the street hire. That explains a lot of your elitist attitude.
Never played a day in the minors, suckah. Driver from day one. I don’t know where you come up with the name elitist, I worked harder than you do. I just didn’t have to grovel as a part timer. But you’re just full of nonsensical statements.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Never played a day in the minors, suckah. Driver from day one. I don’t know where you come up with the name elitist, I worked harder than you do. I just didn’t have to grovel as a part timer. But you’re just full of nonsensical statements.
Were you one of the off the street supervisor hires?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
No this job has changed a lot over the decades and unfortunately many of the new people do not want to go driving.
And with so many other places raising their starting wages UPS isn't attractive is it used to be but on the other hand these people don't realize how much our benefits cost and what they are worth to them.
Not too many jobs have a pension plan anymore and especially if you are part-time
Most youngsters and people in general now are very short sighted and don’t get the big picture then wonder why they remain begging for scraps.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Most youngsters and people in general now are very short sighted and don’t get the big picture then wonder why they remain begging for scraps.
Especially when kids are supporting lifestyles by just getting on tiktok and flailing around like a mongoloid. The future is now old man, better snap to or you’re going to be left behind.