Voter Suppression

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who's to say it wouldn't favor the Dems?
If you would use the same skepticism on your president, you might have your eyes opened.

Right...Blacks, Latinos, the poor, and other minorities usually vote Republican. Like I said, just admit the strategy. It's a good one, but illegal and unethical to boot. It speaks volumes about both GOP morality and their lack of relevance to minority voters.

upsgrunt

Says the self admitted white, republican hater.
Isn't it funny that public aid increases under democratic leadership; it couldn't possibly be to buy their vote, could it?
I mean, do you seriously feel like Obama has the best interests of minorities in mind, or he just wants their vote?

You don't have to answer- I know your response.
It is what you are told to say.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Says the self admitted white, republican hater.
Isn't it funny that public aid increases under democratic leadership; it couldn't possibly be to buy their vote, could it?
I mean, do you seriously feel like Obama has the best interests of minorities in mind, or he just wants their vote?

You don't have to answer- I know your response.
It is what you are told to say.

Of course Obama wants their vote, and compared to Romney, he's way more concerned about the middle class and minorities. Nobody tells me what to say or think...that's the FOX gig. You're a prime example of "FoxThink" at-work.

upsgrunt

Like I've said many times before, I don't watch Fox News.
You and TOS watch enough for all of us.
I prefer to think for myself and don't need someone to tell me "what they meant when they said this" BS.
The left are good at taking things said as literal, but when it comes to Obama or Pelosi all I hear is what you THINK they meant when they had diarhea of the mouth.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Best example I've heard to compare Mitt's & bhos supporters.
Mitt's supporters sign their names on the front of their checks while
bhos supporters sign their names on the back of their checks.

av8torntn

Buuuuut...

The point wasn't that you could get a driver's license vs. non-driver's license ID at these state's DMV's, the point was that a non-insignificant population of (eligible to vote) minorities live outside of 10 miles of DMV locations that run on banker's hours: it's a real hardship for them to obtain proper ID, which they've not needed before, to exercise their right to vote.

Nevermind.

(Between 2002 and 2005 the Justice Department had less than 30 verified cases of voter fraud: this is a 'weapons of mass-destruction/gulf of Tonkin' kind of argument.

If you're comfortable leveraging <30 ineligible votes vs. over a million eligible-but-denied votes in the name of 'states' rights', then I know exactly what you're saying.)

This is so amazing to me. On one hand you claim it is so difficult for someone to get an ID(who I suppose since I've asked multiple times and you never found one it is some mystery person) but not make the trek to the county seat(must assume they didn't register at the ID place), identify themselves, successfully fill out the registration forms, figure out how to check them mail, separate the voter card from junk mail, figure out how to open the envelope it is in, transport themselves multiple times a year to the polling places which change depending on the election, follow the directions on the ballot and successfully submit their vote and getting the ID is the burden. Put aside who in these times doesn't have an ID. You honestly believe there is a million people that figured out how to register to vote, can even figure out where to vote, that don't have and can't figure out how to get an ID? That just blows my mind that someone even thinks that.

On the other hand you claim that there is so much fraud that a government that can't do anything efficiently and without the ability to distinguish if a person casting a vote is the one registered to vote is not really a problem. It is also amazing that anyone can think that anyone can think that the government can catch every case of fraud with their hands so severely tied when with the full resources of a federal government are supposedly going to find enough fraud(that they haven't already found) in Medicare to successfully fund Obamacare.

A simply amazing view of the world you have.

BrownArmy

This is so amazing to me. On one hand you claim it is so difficult for someone to get an ID(who I suppose since I've asked multiple times and you never found one it is some mystery person) but not make the trek to the county seat(must assume they didn't register at the ID place), identify themselves, successfully fill out the registration forms, figure out how to check them mail, separate the voter card from junk mail, figure out how to open the envelope it is in, transport themselves multiple times a year to the polling places which change depending on the election, follow the directions on the ballot and successfully submit their vote and getting the ID is the burden. Put aside who in these times doesn't have an ID. You honestly believe there is a million people that figured out how to register to vote, can even figure out where to vote, that don't have and can't figure out how to get an ID? That just blows my mind that someone even thinks that.

On the other hand you claim that there is so much fraud that a government that can't do anything efficiently and without the ability to distinguish if a person casting a vote is the one registered to vote is not really a problem. It is also amazing that anyone can think that anyone can think that the government can catch every case of fraud with their hands so severely tied when with the full resources of a federal government are supposedly going to find enough fraud(that they haven't already found) in Medicare to successfully fund Obamacare.

A simply amazing view of the world you have.

It's clear to me that we're having two different conversations.

I appreciate your views, I simply don't agree with them.

Thanks for the parley.

av8torntn

It's clear to me that we're having two different conversations.

I appreciate your views, I simply don't agree with them.

Thanks for the parley.

Thank you.

You've pretty much validated that this entire issue is a fabricated one. When I first replied I really didn't know and just thought I'd see where it went.

BrownArmy

You've pretty much validated that this entire issue is a fabricated one.

Which is what I've been saying all along.

(Future readers, I edited his quote to make it seem like he agrees with me...he most certainly doesn't).

My point: yes, the issue (of voter fraud) is entirely fabricated (by the right) to disenfranchise a WHOLE bunch of eligible voters.

You posted something recently that the right to vote wasn't guaranteed by the Constitution?

(Is that correct, if not, set me straight).

I disagree with (one) of your premises that this is a states' rights issue.

I'm concerned because I feel like the power/money machine is trying to disenfranchise a non-insubstantial amount of eligible voters.

Could you elaborate what you're concerned about?

Hit me back.

av8torntn

Which is what I've been saying all along.

(Future readers, I edited his quote to make it seem like he agrees with me...he most certainly doesn't).

My point: yes, the issue (of voter fraud) is entirely fabricated (by the right) to disenfranchise a WHOLE bunch of eligible voters.

You posted something recently that the right to vote wasn't guaranteed by the Constitution?

(Is that correct, if not, set me straight).

I disagree with (one) of your premises that this is a states' rights issue.

I'm concerned because I feel like the power/money machine is trying to disenfranchise a non-insubstantial amount of eligible voters.

Could you elaborate what you're concerned about?

Hit me back.

I can't see any possible way that you are guaranteed a right to vote as people lose that "right" regularly. There is also a mechanism(that varies state to state) to sue to gain that "right" back.

OK, yes you proved to me that the issue of people being disenfranchised by having to present an ID was/is a fabricated one.

I have no concerns, I was just using you to work through the issue. I have since developed the belief that people on your side of this issue are trying to disenfranchise groups of voters by ignoring fraud that you have admitted exists. You have only admitted to a very small amount of fraud which would equal a small amount of disenfranchisement but you would also refuse those in charge of elections the ability to root out more fraud or to even detect any fraud. You fabricate this issue that someone could get to multiple elections a year but couldn't possibly get an ID once every ten years or so. I'm just not buying that there are "millions" of people out there that cannot in no possible terms gain an ID in these times. The dimocrats primarily support this fraud who incidentally also seem to be the ones that sue, sue, sue every time they lose an election until they can get someone to declare them a winner or run out of options.

I'm not surprised that you disagree with my thought that states should be allowed to govern themselves(ninth and tenth amendments to the Constitution). I don't know why as I don't recall you saying anything specific before now.

If you actually are concerned about power and money running the show I hate to break it to you. It does. If you really want to make a change to that you will need power and money yourself.

BrownArmy

I can't see any possible way that you are guaranteed a right to vote as people lose that "right" regularly. There is also a mechanism(that varies state to state) to sue to gain that "right" back.

Are you high?

15th and 19th Amendments to the Constitution.

???

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Maryland Politics Democrat withdraws from 1st District congressional race after allegations she voted in two states

Rosen says she registered in Fla. to support friend there

Wendy Rosen, the Democratic challenger to Republican Rep. Andy Harris in the 1st Congressional District, withdrew from the race Monday amid allegations that she voted in elections in both Maryland and Florida in 2006 and 2008.
Rosen said she was able to register in Florida because she owned property there.
State Democratic Chairwoman Yvette Lewis said an examination of voting records in Maryland and Florida showed that Rosen participated in the 2006 general election and the 2008 primaries in both states.
Asked by The Sun on Monday if she had voted in both states in the same elections, Rosen said she did not remember how she voted. Asked if she had voted twice in the 2008 presidential primaries, she declined to comment "due to possible litigation."

Wendy Rosen drops challenge to Andy Harris after allegations she voted in two states - baltimoresun.com

menotyou

bella amicizia
Makes you wonder how many do this stuff.
Here's another side of that issue. Granted, it's not about the president, but still is an interesting situation.
I know you can't in Cape Vincent, for the local stuff. My parents own land in Brownville and Cape. They pay mighty high taxes in the Cape. Yet, have no say in how those taxes are spent. Should they have the right to an opinion, i.e. vote, on how their taxes are spent?

BrownArmy

Here's another side of that issue. Granted, it's not about the president, but still is an interesting situation.
I know you can't in Cape Vincent, for the local stuff. My parents own land in Brownville and Cape. They pay mighty high taxes in the Cape. Yet, have no say in how those taxes are spent. Should they have the right to an opinion, i.e. vote, on how their taxes are spent?

Offtopic, Menotyou, love the new avatar...

Catwoman...purrrr...

Lue C Fur

Evil member
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Media Shows Pervasive Bias When Covering Voter ID

On July 30, 2012, Huffington Post Senior Washington Correspondent Dan Froomkin issued a clarion call to the news media, imploring them to eschew journalistic integrity and attack those who support voter integrity laws.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SUP]1[/SUP][/FONT] Froomkin claimed that "[v]oter fraud simply isn't a problem in this country," and that new state-level voter ID laws are "attack on the very notion of democracy... poll tax[es] with a new twist."[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SUP]2[/SUP][/FONT] Ample evidence suggests that Froomkin's plea to the media was unnecessary and redundant. The American media consistently denigrates voter integrity measures and vilify those who seek to secure elections.

Since 2011, 37 states have passed or considered some form of voter integrity measure.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SUP]3[/SUP][/FONT] Many of these laws require photo identification for in-person voting.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SUP]4[/SUP][/FONT] While the majority of Americans consider these laws commonsense fraud-prevention measures,[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SUP]5[/SUP][/FONT] the mainstream media has engaged in a systematic effort to demonize voter ID.

The media use three primary tactics to attack voter ID laws: rhetoric, flawed data and selective coverage. The media claim that voter integrity measures are racist, Jim Crow-era voter suppression laws aimed at disenfranchising poor, elderly and monitory voters. Giving an academic veneer to these claims, the media rely on biased work by the Brennan Center for Justice, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, News21, the American Civil Liberties Union and other liberal groups. Finally, the media often ignore two primary facts about voter ID: the American people overwhelmingly support voter ID laws, and the United States Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that state-level voter ID laws can be constitutional.

Media Shows Pervasive Bias When Covering Voter ID
[/SIZE][/FONT]

bbsam

Staff member
I keep seeing more and more righties blaming the "media" more and more. Romney's impotence is showing.