Voter Suppression

bbsam

Staff member
Why are you so insistant that the government foot the bill; over and over and over?
The government does not pay for my drivers license.

Because that is one of the main barriers republicans have thrown up in the guise of "protecting the vote". Republican leaders have admitted that this is not about voter fraud, but I am willing to address that issue for those who believe it to be a significant problem. What I am not willing to do is let a party steal an election under the guise of a solution that by all accounts is miniscule.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Then why are some of the states pushing voting ID laws trying to curtail Saturday voting?

The answer is obvious, but not to the usual suspects. Nobody would be forcing them to vote, but they would have a better opportunity to do so. Voting is for everyone, unless you're Black, Hispanic, Asian, Laotian, Vietnamese, East Indian, Native American, Ethiopian and on and on (non-white).

av8torntn

Then why are some of the states pushing voting ID laws trying to curtail Saturday voting?

My guess would be cost.

Just a guess but if say a Constitution mandated that a federal election had to be held on, just pick a random day like say the first tuesday in November, it would be much cheaper to have state and local measures added to the same ballot.

Another guess would be that you get an increased turnout when local measures are not the only thing on the ballot. Personally it seems much easier to vote on a workday as I can drive by and vote on the way to work. If it were on a weekend chances are I wouldn't even vote. Political scientists debate these types of things but honestly I think if you want to vote there are enough ways to cast your vote. I prefer to vote in person versus absentee as they don't even count those ballots here unless there are enough to cover the margin of victory.

If you are a racist like MrFedex and then try to claim racism at every turn yourself then save your time and just assume that I disagree with you.

BrownArmy

My guess would be cost.

Just a guess but if say a Constitution mandated that a federal election had to be held on, just pick a random day like say the first tuesday in November, it would be much cheaper to have state and local measures added to the same ballot.

Another guess would be that you get an increased turnout when local measures are not the only thing on the ballot. Personally it seems much easier to vote on a workday as I can drive by and vote on the way to work. If it were on a weekend chances are I wouldn't even vote. Political scientists debate these types of things but honestly I think if you want to vote there are enough ways to cast your vote. I prefer to vote in person versus absentee as they don't even count those ballots here unless there are enough to cover the margin of victory.

If you are a racist like MrFedex and then try to claim racism at every turn yourself then save your time and just assume that I disagree with you.

Yet if certain states had traditionally held Saturday voting without any problems, and ALL OF A SUDDEN, it was such a problem that the courts needed to be involved, what would you think then?

av8torntn

Yet if certain states had traditionally held Saturday voting without any problems, and ALL OF A SUDDEN, it was such a problem that the courts needed to be involved, what would you think then?

I wouldn't think anything about it. Like I posted earlier it would be much more prohibitive for me personally to vote on a Saturday election than a weekday election but if I really wanted to vote I'd just cast absentee. If they required an ID to vote and I really wanted to vote I'd either get an ID or make one.

I personally think that this is yet another fabricated issue by the left.

av8torntn

What would you think if, ALL OF A SUDDEN, absentee voting was being challenged?

(Hint, it is, in several states...for what purpose?)

Why don't we just pay to hire people to carry ballots to every eligible person so they can vote. That wouldn't solve your voter suppression problem and it wouldn't stimulate your economy but it would be funny to read your response as to how horribly suppressive it was to the voters.

BrownArmy

Why don't we just pay to hire people to carry ballots to every eligible person so they can vote. That wouldn't solve your voter suppression problem and it wouldn't stimulate your economy but it would be funny to read your response as to how horribly suppressive it was to the voters.

LOL.

The funny thing is that eligible voters being caught in the new voter ID craze that's sweeping the Republican nation are:

Members of the Armed Forces;

Folks like you and I that have odd hours and counted on absentee ballots for convenience (citizens all!);

Minority voters;

And, (just for effect) minorities.

(P.S. I have a vehicle and have no problem making it to the polls before I have to make it to work...not everyone is so lucky.)

So, do we leverage the 0.004% of verified voter fraud vs. the larger population of newly targeted voters, who are all eligible to cast a vote, but will be disenfranchised due to (frankly) bull****e new regulations?

moreluck

golden ticket member
LOL.

The funny thing is that eligible voters being caught in the new voter ID craze that's sweeping the Republican nation are:

Members of the Armed Forces;

Folks like you and I that have odd hours and counted on absentee ballots for convenience (citizens all!);

Minority voters;

And, (just for effect) minorities.

(P.S. I have a vehicle and have no problem making it to the polls before I have to make it to work...not everyone is so lucky.)

So, do we leverage the 0.004% of verified voter fraud vs. the larger population of newly targeted voters, who are all eligible to cast a vote, but will be disenfranchised due to (frankly) bull****e new regulations?

Just in Virginia......10,000 dead people regstered to vote Non-existent? Yeah, the people registered there to vote ARE non existent

Review finds 10,000 dead on voter rolls | Associated Press | Richmond, Va.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=2]30,000 Dead Registered to Vote in North Carolina[/h]
A Raleigh-based group devoted to reducing the potential for voter fraud presented the N.C. Board of Elections on Friday with a list of nearly 30,000 names of dead people statewide who are still registered to vote.
The Voter Integrity Project compiled the list after obtaining death records from the state Department of Public Health from 2002 to March 31 and comparing them to the voter rolls.
“Mainly, what we’re concerned about is the potential [for fraud],” said project director Jay DeLancy. “Since there is no voter ID law in North Carolina, anybody can walk in and claim to be anyone else.”

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

30,000 Dead Registered to Vote in North Carolina

A Raleigh-based group devoted to reducing the potential for voter fraud presented the N.C. Board of Elections on Friday with a list of nearly 30,000 names of dead people statewide who are still registered to vote.
The Voter Integrity Project compiled the list after obtaining death records from the state Department of Public Health from 2002 to March 31 and comparing them to the voter rolls.
“Mainly, what we’re concerned about is the potential [for fraud],” said project director Jay DeLancy. “Since there is no voter ID law in North Carolina, anybody can walk in and claim to be anyone else.”

I would have been curious of the results had the NC Board of Elections taken the next logical step and checked the records from the most recent election to see if any of the names of any of the 30K had been used.

bbsam

Staff member
I would have been curious of the results had the NC Board of Elections taken the next logical step and checked the records from the most recent election to see if any of the names of any of the 30K had been used.
Any guesses on why they didn't bother to do that?