Walkway egress in driver car

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by altstewie, Jan 21, 2015.

1. altstewie

altstewie Combo Hopeful

Hey I just got into a friendly discussion with an Orion supervisor. They said in cars an 18inch pathway is needed for drivers and us at all times. We all know that doesn't happen. For me as a preloader I've always waited until the last smalls come so I can put them all in orderly instead of tossing them in or climb over packages. I argued it is always a 28inch walk path for preloaders in case of emergency exit. Has anyone heard anything different. I'm trying to find OSHA related for the cars I just find the 28inch part.

2. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

18 inch walkpath. Learn to put as much of your bulk and irregs in without blocking your path. It can usually be done if you're smart about it.

3. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

Try maintaining a clear walk path in a 500. When you get irregs that are big has the car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. altstewie

altstewie Combo Hopeful

I just don't understand if a walk path is 28inches around the building wouldn't 28 be inside a car. I'm constantly walking in and out of the car so it is a walk path. Is the 18 one of those ups mandates or methods but in all reality it should be 28. I know when I was in trailers on different shifts and in unload and load it's a 28inch walk path

5. bleedinbrown58

I don't load anything smaller than an 800.

6. bleedinbrown58

I know next to nothing about trailers. In my almost 9 years as a loader....I've never even set foot inside a trailer. 18 inch path inside a PC is what I was always told. What the hell difference does it make? The.sup told you what it was.....do what you're told.

7. Jkloc420

Today UPS decided to let me load 5 trucks out in a module. With another guy on the other side loading three trucks and putting post office in a semi. 13 years I been at ups and loading. Every year it is something new or a new rule they come up with. Today a part time sup tried to convince the drivers have to read the the hin labels has opposed to addresses. These are the same people who stare at you when a truck is getting blown out and packages are getting damaged. Just loading it in they say. Bunch of ridicolouos people who I am convince just want to make your job harder.

8. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Yeah, maintain that walk path inside package cars but don't stack anything out. How is that working out for you? :dead:

9. Jkloc420

Yea that is another thing UPS likes to preach.

10. bleedinbrown58

Beautifully if you know what you're doing. I almost always have a clear walkpath from bulkhead to RD in every car until 10 min before I clock out.

11. bleedinbrown58

13 years and you still listen? I learned to ignore and turn up my ipod volume years ago.

12. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

osha web site is having problems. Search for egress when its fixed

13. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Apparently you don't load routes with a lot of bulk.

14. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

Are they saying the path has to be maintained even when it's finished or only until you're done loading it? Because a truck leaving the building with a clear path front to back is a rare sight for me.

15. In my center we always say 28 inches of egress.

16. 10 point

10 point Well-Known Member

Actually, it's 28" in an escape route walk path but 26" on stairs.

If the lights would go out and you're loading inside a vehicle, confined space egress to escape should be at least 28" but length of egress in a confined space may also dictate a different width if "within x feet to an escape route".

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  17. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Guess what happens to that clear path the first time the driver hits the brake or turns a corner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. 10 point

There should also be egress lighting to a certain "foot candle" power to illuminate that area.

19. 10 point

The driver dictates his own egress throughout the day..they say.

20. rod

rod retired and happy

What good would a walkway through the truck be? The first little bump and half the load falls off the shelves into the middle anyway.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List