Walkway egress in driver car

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Are they saying the path has to be maintained even when it's finished or only until you're done loading it? Because a truck leaving the building with a clear path front to back is a rare sight for me.
Only while you are loading it. You need a clear path without stepping over boxes. You also need that clear path to get back out, especially if the lights go out and you cannot see.

When you're done, you can bulk out the truck front to back and top to bottom. You no longer need that clear path.

As the driver delivers, he will unload bulk and work on a path to the shelves.

That is what ORION does not know. The driver is not required to climb over boxes to get to the 7000 shelf to deliver what ORION is telling him to deliver. He needs a clear path and a clear egress to get back out.

Packmule

Only while you are loading it. You need a clear path without stepping over boxes. You also need that clear path to get back out, especially if the lights go out and you cannot see.

When you're done, you can bulk out the truck front to back and top to bottom. You no longer need that clear path.

That is what ORION does not know. The driver is not required to climb over boxes to get to the 7000 shelf to deliver what ORION is telling him to deliver. He needs a clear path and a clear egress to get back out.
So if I can't access it, screw it?

10 point

What good would a walkway through the truck be? The first little bump and half the load falls off the shelves into the middle anyway.
Again, when on road it's the driver's deal to select from what they can reach if you want to push the safety methods. It's not practical all the time because our pkgs are not cookie cutter identicals but when parked in the building and the employee has to be able to escape it becomes a more serious issue because the exit doors aren't ten to twelve feet away as they are in a large PC.

oldngray

nowhere special

"When you're done, you can bulk out the truck front to back and top to bottom." That implies you stacked out packages which UPS says you are not supposed to do. Anyone who has loaded knows you stack out bulk but the "experts" sitting in offices don't like that. They claim it slows you down to double handle packages. And of course, load quality doesn't show up on their reports.

10 point

"When you're done, you can bulk out the truck front to back and top to bottom." That implies you stacked out packages which UPS says you are not supposed to do. Anyone who has loaded knows you stack out bulk but the "experts" sitting in offices don't like that. They claim it slows you down to double handle packages. And of course, load quality doesn't show up on their reports.
Shut off the belt.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

That is something I've been wondering ever since I even heard of ORION. My center doesn't have it yet but I figured ORION can't possibly know there's no way in hell I'm even getting to my 6000 section until I get off a couple stops way off it's suggested trace.

10 point

You can't do that with a boxline. And if you keep shutting off the boxline you will definitely get yourself into trouble.
OSHA busted our center for egress about four yrs ago.
Guess what? We have the right to shut down the belt when egress is not compliant.
They can choose: belt goes down for a minute or two or OSHA comes back. The fine was about $2300.00 for the one infraction that day. The next one, if deemed "willful" will be up to $69,000.00.

It's the employees right and responsibility to maintain correct egress in their work area.

10 point

Load quality shows up on our reports. They call it overallowed.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I don't have a bulk problem with my load. But, a coupe areas in our center are front to back. Drivers have to deliver out the bulk head one stop. Then out the rear for others. The same day after day. I will stay with my country route. Thank you.

Our building is having issues with the loaders exiting the truck. With all the new trucks. They are 2 inches lower. They keep twisting their ankles. On the dock edge to the bumper. Of course UPS says look before stepping. Anyone else have the same issues? What have you guys done?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Are they saying the path has to be maintained even when it's finished or only until you're done loading it? Because a truck leaving the building with a clear path front to back is a rare sight for me.
It's sad that it's gotten to the point that if I can walk through the truck in the morning. My first though is hell yeah gonna be a good day.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our building is having issues with the loaders exiting the truck. With all the new trucks. They are 2 inches lower. They keep twisting their ankles. On the dock edge to the bumper. Of course UPS says look before stepping. Anyone else have the same issues? What have you guys done?
I'm with ups on this one. Look where you're stepping.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm with ups on this one. Look where you're stepping.

I worked on New Year's Eve and came in early to load the pkg cars. Of the 5 cars that I loaded 4 were level or close to level with the dock. I had to be careful when loading the 5th car and can see where it would be easy to twist an ankle if you were in a hurry.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So if I can't access it, screw it?
If you can't access it, deliver when you can access it. Before ORION came along, we all got rid of most of our bulk in the center of the truck first. If they make you follow ORION, and you cannot get to a package that it is telling you to deliver, skip it and go to the next one.

You will eventually find a stop that you can get to the package. But then again, this is one of the reasons UPS only expects you to hit 85% compliance. They know ORION is flawed.

They would expect you to deliver some of that bulk to clear a path and then follow ORION. This should still keep you at or better than 85%.

edit: They will never require 100% compliance because they know it is flawed.

Last edited: