Warning Letter over Telematics

ups2000

Doesn't matter really the reports aren't accurate. Last week on a buisnes route 3 days 60 backs 2 days it says only 11 .

thessalonian13

Ok guys, I've always heard that a driver cannot be disciplined over telematics. Well, I've just received a warning letter over telematics telling them I backed first 3 times in one day, which I honestly say is a damn lie. Can you guys point me in the right direction on where in the national agreement this is covered? Ready to file grievance just need solid info backing me.
I would tell them: "Since you are going to give warning letters for backing, then I WILL NEVER USE MY REVERSE GEAR EVER AGAIN!!!!!! I will walk off every dock stop and so on. Do that 1 day and call them at 3pm asking them to take off 60, 70, or more residential stops since your commercial stops would take so long to walk off.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ok guys, I've always heard that a driver cannot be disciplined over telematics. Well, I've just received a warning letter over telematics telling them I backed first 3 times in one day, which I honestly say is a damn lie. Can you guys point me in the right direction on where in the national agreement this is covered? Ready to file grievance just need solid info backing me.

In our current contract, there is NO PROVISION that protects a driver from telematics that ANYONE can point to. Article 6 only deals with dishonesty related to GPS or subsequent systems and not proceedures.

In some locals ( like mine ) we have a provision in our package rider that prohibits the use of ANY telematics information or information obtained via DIAD to establish "excessive personal time"... but thats it.

As for your warning letter, simple answer is , grieve, make the company show why you didnt have to back first.

Todays UPS management is filled with pencil pushing paper tigers who have a hard on for warning letters. Backing first happens, sometimes its just the nature of the business, being blocked, stalled cars, chitt heads etc etc etc.... we do what we do when we are on the road.

UPS may not want us to back first, but they cannot predict the conditions on the road that "we" cannot control.

File the grievance, put up a fight and force them to make their case. Also, besides some lip service, ask them to show you the policy book where its stated and you were trained not to back first.

Peace

TOS

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When I get stuck where I'm going to have a back first exemption I do the following to avoid getting a hit on telematics. 1. Park truck, set e-brake, leave truck ON. 2. Scan package with truck on and put in prerecord then deliver package. 3. Get back in truck, back out, and turn around. 4. Turn truck off. 5. Bring package back in diad from prerecord and DR package. 6. Start truck and leave going forward.

If you follow these procedures you will not get a back first exemption or a recording while idling. It will increase your idling time.

I just hate it when I go up a driveway and find a locked gate and no place to turn around. I'm not going to back out and then run the package all the way back in just to avoid a back first exemption. I have better things to do with my time.

When I am in a situation where I have no choice but to do a back first exception...i just do my job and dont worry about what Telematics might say. If they approach me about it the next day, I politely suggest to them that they share their concerns with someone who gives a :censored2:.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In our current contract, there is NO PROVISION that protects a driver from telematics that ANYONE can point to. Article 6 only deals with dishonesty related to GPS or subsequent systems and not proceedures.

In some locals ( like mine ) we have a provision in our package rider that prohibits the use of ANY telematics information or information obtained via DIAD to establish "excessive personal time"... but thats it.

Art 28 Section 2 of the Western Region Supplement affords us superior protection than the National language in regards to Telematics discipline.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

As for your warning letter, simple answer is , grieve, make the company show why you didnt have to back first.

Todays UPS management is filled with pencil pushing paper tigers who have a hard on for warning letters. Backing first happens, sometimes its just the nature of the business, being blocked, stalled cars, chitt heads etc etc etc.... we do what we do when we are on the road.

UPS may not want us to back first, but they cannot predict the conditions on the road that "we" cannot control.

File the grievance, put up a fight and force them to make their case. Also, besides some lip service, ask them to show you the policy book where its stated and you were trained not to back first.

Peace

TOS

TOS...have you had your locals pre contract meeting yet, just curious if technology was brought up by any members?

Vincent Rush

If UPS didn't have the ability to discipline over telematics, they wouldn't have invested and continue to invest tens of millions into it. Now what agreements the union has worked out may dictate to what extent. You have the Geo Tab product which is better than 99.9% accurate and reliable. Very unlikely that it would falsely register incorrectly 3 separate times on a backing issue, but there is always the chance I suppose. Hope that helps.

CAFAL

Indecision is right. It is not safe to start right in reverse. Maneuver the truck so you just get in and go. They can print out your infractions. Ask to see it. The worse thing is if you did,they know where and can catch you in person. Be smart. Follow the methods and work as directed

CAFAL

yes they are now telling us that we have to drive past the stop and turn around in the cul de sac and drive back to the stop then make delivery out of the driver side door. WTF i was always taught to pull up even with the door on the house to have a straight shot. i guess some ***** in Atlanta sitting in a corner cubicle is trying to get promoted and thought of this fantastic idea.

Why not dr package then turn around? If you start your truck and put it in DRIVE,you will not get hit with a back first exception. It's when you start truck and put it in REVERSE is the exception

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why not dr package then turn around? If you start your truck and put it in DRIVE,you will not get hit with a back first exception. It's when you start truck and put it in REVERSE is the exception

This is not true---you have to drive forward for a short distance and/or at a minimum mph before putting it in to reverse if you want to avoid a back first exception.

CAFAL

I don't ever show up on the report. The distance must be minimal. I have many cul de sacs on my route and I drive a p-1000. I've only shown up on the report when I've started in reverse. Actually it's only happened twice.

DorkHead

Ok, you received a warning letter for to many "backing first after a completed stop". So my question is what part of the Master Agreement or supplement did you violate?