Watchmen

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Anyone see Watchmen? If you did, did you like it?

I saw it last weekend and I have to say I really liked it. I am unfamiliar with the graphic novel it is based on but I am thinking of buying it to see how it compares with the movie.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The graphic novel is excellent. I almost went to see this movie last Saturday, but I decided to wait one more weekend in hopes of catching it in a near empty theater. I hate crowds.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I actually walked out about 1/2 hour in to it. I told my son and he laughed at me. I asked him if I needed to watch the other movies first and he said that would have helped. I just had a hard time following the story as I couldn't find one to follow.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I actually walked out about 1/2 hour in to it. I told my son and he laughed at me. I asked him if I needed to watch the other movies first and he said that would have helped. I just had a hard time following the story as I couldn't find one to follow.
There are no other movies. It is a strange and convoluted story, and for a long time it was considered unfilmable. Alan Moore, the author of the graphic novel, refuses to have anything to do with the movie adaption as he hates Hollywood. I suspect it's just not your cup of tea.

There are no other movies. It is a strange and convoluted story, and for a long time it was considered unfilmable. Alan Moore, the author of the graphic novel, refuses to have anything to do with the movie adaption as he hates Hollywood. I suspect it's just not your cup of tea.
But he sure took the money to let them film it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Actually, no he didn't. The film rights were purchased from DC, who published the graphic novel. Moore has stipulated that his name is not be associated with any film adaptations of his work and that he will receive no money from those adaptations.

wkmac

I heard the movie was very bloody and violent. Not seen it so I'm going off what others have said. I get tickled at what we once called comic books are now called graphic novels but then considering the stories and content, using the term comic does seem wrong.

Also the stories coming from these ranks are more and more the most thought provoking and question posing of any cinematic artform coming out these days. Kids are also eating this stuff up as well and actually getting it and therefore challenging the status quo like we did back in the day. Just hope they don't sell out like we did!
:happy-very:

I'm still waiting for Alan Moore to put the Guy Fawks mask on Evey for the sequel, The Resurrection of "V"!
:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:

wkmac

Thanks for the interview, it was interesting and I do hold no illusions that Moore will have Evey donn the mask. In fact, if he did. it wouldn't work in relationship to what he did in the original. I've had fun using the "V" thingy as an avatar and playing (HAMMING) it up for the purpose of spectcle's sake but Moore forced a view of "V" that in some ways, he was as bad as Norsefire and all the power and abuse that revolved around that.

Gov't taken to extremes can cause all kinds of bad and wrong but taking violence in the name of freedom can be just as wrong. "V" poses the age old question of, does evil require evil to overcome? Does the means and method of evil become justified when a good outcome is achieved as in the case of imprison, torture and abuse Evey to get her into a desired frame of mind?

The same POV in looking at "V" can be equally used in looking at our own situation in regards to terrorism and acts of violence in the name of political or even religious belief. On the one hand you could insert Osama bin Laden as a type of "V" type persona as representative of an abused peoples of longstanding from western civilization and his violent acts like "V's" are therefore justified if you see "V" as a good thing. However, in the case of both "V" and Osama, their actions in turn negatively effect multitudes in innocent peoples in the name of getting at the bad guys. Getting the bad guys would require the ideal on both sides that "if you are not with me, you are against me" and therefore the enemy so I am free to do as I please and what befalls you, you deserve. This justification of violence for it's own sake to an ends IMO is the message of "V" and not the glorification of a rebel character to the system as fun as that might be to play with!

In 1971' I went to a Jethro Tull concert and a Tull roadie was wearing a T-Shirt that said "Genesis" and then Trespass. I thought it was some religious statement so I asked the roadie about it. He explained it was this band that he had worked as a roadie recently in Italy and then asked had I not heard of them which before the days of the internet, obsecure, up in coming bands relied on word of mouth. I told him I had not and luckily for me on the house sound tape machine (good ole reel to reel), they had a song of Genesis off of Trespass called "The Knife" which the house sound engineer qued me when it was coming up. I was hooked the moment I heard it but later learning the lyrics I was equally impressed. The lyrics has to do with revolution and violence even righteous sounding can easily cross a line towards wrong and evil. I'll leave you with those lyrics to enjoy.

Tell me my life is about to begin
Tell me that I'm a hero
Promise me all of your violent dreams
Light up your body with anger

Now, in this ugly world
It is time to destroy all this evil
Now, when I give a word
Are you ready to fight for your freedom ?

NOW

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies, that have spread like disease through our minds
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness to all who our love now deserve

Some of you are going to die
Martyrs of course to the freedom that I shall provide

I'll give you the names of those you must kill
All must die with their children
Carry their heads to the palace of old
Hang them, hang them, let the blood flow

Now, in this ugly world
Breaking the chains around us
Now, the crusade has begun
Give us a land fit for heroes

NOW

Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies, that have spread like disease through our minds
Soon we'll have power, every soldier will rest
And we'll spread out our kindness to all who our love now deserve

We are only wanting freedom ?

I also noticed Alan uses the term comic instead of graphic novel. Old habit hard to break or is Alan saying something even there? I don't know but he is a great thought provoking writer for sure!

drewed

Shankman
a comic book is still a comic book, a graphic novel is a collection comics with a continuing story line, eg there were 10 watchmen comic books (i dont know the exact amount) the publisher decided to release the story in 1 graphic novel

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
To me, the movie Apocalypse Now demonstrates perfectly the hypocrisy of war in that to do good we commit acts of evil, but acts of evil that we say are justified.

When Kurtz in the movie goes off the reservation and uses any means to justify the ends we call him a mad man, but ironically he delivers the results that eludes our "moral" military.

It is a difficult conundrum for anyone with a conscience to resolve but we almost all come to the point where we find that evil in the form of violence to another is indeed justified if the stakes are high enough.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Finally saw this over the weekend. I liked it on a lot of levels (Rorschach was hands down the best performance), but over all I don't think it came anywhere near to approaching the graphic novel. It was probably the best Zack Snyder could do.
My wife hated it, I'm sure she would have pulled an Upstate and walked out if I wasn't driving :happy2:. On the plus side when we got home she dove into the comic to see if she understand what the hell I was talking about, and pronounced it to be far better than the movie.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I am definitely going to have to read the comic now, I must know how they compare.

I agree about Rorschach.

My wife hated it...

My son liked it, but I went with four other people and none of them liked it.

...pulled an Upstate and walked out...

I find it interesting Upstate that you walked out after the first half hour because the visuals and music of the opening is what sucked me into the movie.

If anything it is a polarizing movie.