We..the UPS Teamsters Need to Organize FedEx ......

overflowed

My point had more to do with this: if you were to poll 1,000 FedEx drivers, a very large percentage would not be able to take work action and risk their jobs. That is what organizing FedEx would come down to, sacrifice. The vast majority of people are in no position to organize, and that is not by coincidence. The system is designed to keep people dependent and indebted to keeping up with the Jones's. That's American culture. That's one reason why unions are on the way out.

That's a good point and yes it is by design. However, lots of us live within our means and have savings. I and many others are willing to sacrifice. I do understand that some cannot and would cave if locked out. It would be in their best interest not to, for then they are forever slaves. Because at this point what's their alternative. Believe me, no one at Express is keeping up with the Jones's. We don't have that option. Except the topped out oldschools which are quickly dwindling in numbers.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
As the title states "We the UPS Teamsters Need to Organize FedEx" ..

Individuals on the FedEx forum of BrownCafe are pleading for help in organizing as outlined below. I believe that each and every Teamster Local should be VERY active in attempting to reach out to FedEx hourly employees. I often wonder how many Locals actually make a continued effort to organize FedEx. Complacency, laziness, and apathy are counterproductive to strong representation.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f50/mr-hoffa-get-off-your-ass-right-now-348860/#ixzz2O68Z7jaf

Inside UPS, maybe the first thing YOU need to understand is the law. We have covered this issue many times on this board over the years, and yet, there is always someone posting this story "as if" it was a new story.

The Teamsters "CANNOT" organize fedex air operations as they are covered under the National Railway Act. The Teamsters, however are attempting to organize the "independent contractors" working the ground ops, but as soon as they are organized, Fedex is letting them go.

Second, it takes an ACT of Congress to change FEDEX to the jurisdiction of the NLRB, and with the GOP holding control of the house, this will NEVER HAPPEN.

The Dems have attempted to bring a bill to the floor, but the GOP has killed it in committee several times. Both UPS and the USPS are backers of this action, yet, the Republicans are doing their best to protect Fred S by not allowing the bills to come to the floor.

All the "chatter" about organizing is all for nothing until Congress changes FEDEX status.

You called the teamsters ""Complacency, laziness, and apathy are counterproductive to strong representation."", however, "INCOMPETENCY" to the way the laws are written and applied is far worse.

I suggest you do your homework first.

Peace

TOS

barnyard

KTM rider
If the ibt got serious about organizing Express it actually wouldn't be that hard to help. Every single one of you see an express driver at least once a day, usually more. How hard would it be to flag him or her down. Then talk to this person for 2 minutes and hand them info or a packet with a card in it. Better yet, tell them how much you make. Then hand them the packet with union card to sign. That will light the fire of desire. I want to thank you guys for even talking about our gripe. I understand your being cynical.

I know a bunch of the fedex drivers are contractors that own their own trucks rather than being employees so not sure how that would work with unionizing?

Right there are 2 problems.

You are thinking that UPS will think that it is OK to hand out organizing materials while we are on the clock. Fat effen chance.

You also have UPS drivers that do not appear to know the difference between ground and express.

Until the Fe exemption is lifted, I would not expect to see the Teamsters put any effort into FE. Right now, it would be a waste of time and money. Think for a minute how disastrous it would be for the IBT to announce an organizing effort and then fail. That kind of effort would cost big money with no guarantee of success to pay off that huge investment.

Who would pay the IBT costs????

Would MrFedEx write a check to cover the costs of organizing his station???

There is a union at FE right now. Under current job classification, that is the union that you need to work with.

barnyard

KTM rider
What are FE people willing to do to organize????

Is there anyone that is willing to lose their job for the opportunity to vote??? Even though it is against the law, FE will fire drivers. Sure you can sure under Labor Act laws, but you have to understand that it can take 3 years to wind through the courts. It has happened in St Cloud, Mn when workers at Spee Dee Delivery people tried to organize. 3 drivers were fired. All 3 were given a union lawyer to fight the firings. All 3 firings were found to be in violation of the law and all 3 got back pay, 2.5 years later.

In the end, the organizing effort at Spee Dee failed. Not because UPS people did not talk to them, because managers told them they would all be fired if they voted for a union.

FE people need to study some unionizing efforts before they spout off about 'how easy it would be' or 'how UPS and the Teamsters' need to help more.

If you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

gotbrown

I would think UPS could see this as an oppertunity " the enemy of my enemy" propose the IBT and UPS could consolidate efforts to organizing fedex, and find a way to take legal action to reclassify fedex properly. Really WTF i have never seen a jet deliver any package to final delivery, I bet that the drivers don't even have a pilots license! So how can this stand? This is the best way to safe gaurd the unions future and ups. This I believe would make a better and more suitable negotiations of future contracts.

Just think what could happen organize a strike at UPS in August and a walk out at FEDEX at the same time...
FEDEX could be forced To unionize and UPS would have a competitive edge back in the market. Win win except for FRED..
But again those are the dreams of some, reality is we have to fight for everything we get I would support any action to free FEDEX from its oppressors although be it for our own interest...

hypo hanna

What are FE people willing to do to organize????

Is there anyone that is willing to lose their job for the opportunity to vote??? ....

That is a big part of the problem and why I think it will have to be the newer employees who will have to take the lead on organizing. They are not as likely to have mortgages and kids in school. They are young enough that they have a better chance at finding another job should they be targeted by the fedex anti union goon squads
. They also have many mores years to gain over the course of their careers from union representation.
The older drivers still have a roll to play aside from signing their cards and voting when the time comes and that is to slow down. We have much more experiance with the ways of fedex and can do it with less risk then a new hire. As you guys say, "work as directed". This would be doubly effective if you guys go out on strike this summer.
If FedEx drivers were to start an active union movement and combine it with a slowdown at the same time it would cripple FedEx. They simply don't have the managerial resources to handle it. Throw in the tidal wave of packages from customers because you guys are out and it would be a perfect storm.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would think UPS could see this as an oppertunity " the enemy of my enemy" propose the IBT and UPS could consolidate efforts to organizing fedex, and find a way to take legal action to reclassify fedex properly.

Name a company, any company that helped pay for the efforts to organize a competitor.

UPS has supplied lawyers to states that have filed lawsuits against FE for using contractors (in Ohio for 1, not sure about other states.)

FE employees need to set their expectations a bit more reasonably. The only people that can help them are themselves.

barnyard

KTM rider
Back when the FE exemption was up for reauthorizing, FE executives testified during congressional hearings, that FE employees were not interested in unionizing. How many drivers testified that they wanted the chance????

MAKAVELI

Inside UPS, maybe the first thing YOU need to understand is the law. We have covered this issue many times on this board over the years, and yet, there is always someone posting this story "as if" it was a new story.

The Teamsters "CANNOT" organize fedex air operations as they are covered under the National Railway Act. The Teamsters, however are attempting to organize the "independent contractors" working the ground ops, but as soon as they are organized, Fedex is letting them go.

Second, it takes an ACT of Congress to change FEDEX to the jurisdiction of the NLRB, and with the GOP holding control of the house, this will NEVER HAPPEN.

The Dems have attempted to bring a bill to the floor, but the GOP has killed it in committee several times. Both UPS and the USPS are backers of this action, yet, the Republicans are doing their best to protect Fred S by not allowing the bills to come to the floor.

All the "chatter" about organizing is all for nothing until Congress changes FEDEX status.

You called the teamsters ""Complacency, laziness, and apathy are counterproductive to strong representation."", however, "INCOMPETENCY" to the way the laws are written and applied is far worse.

I suggest you do your homework first.

Peace

TOS

I think you got it backwards bro. The Teamsters CAN organize FedEx express. It has to be nationally under the RLA. They CANNOT organize FedEx ground contractors as they are not employees.

Nolimitz

I think you got it backwards bro. The Teamsters CAN organize FedEx express. It has to be nationally under the RLA. They CANNOT organize FedEx ground contractors as they are not employees.

SPH is correct: there is nothing limiting the Teamsters from organizing FE. But it must be done on a national level, not locally or city by city. Fredmeister has bought "permanent RLA status"
I am already in slow down mode with many others at our station.
If UPS does go out on strike I will be there in uniform on my days off w/ your picket sign in hand

bbsam

Staff member
Interest by UPSers in this topic seems short-lived and without any real direction, much like Fedex couriers interest in it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Interest by UPSers in this topic seems short-lived and without any real direction, much like Fedex couriers interest in it.

Fed Exers coming to a UPS forum and screaming about how we 'have' to help them unionize, is like a preschooler coming up to a group of adults and constantly interrupting the conversation. You try to ignore them, but eventually, you have to tell them to be seen and not heard.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Can't disagree. There is no chance Fedex will ever be Union. It's hard enough at Brown to convince people to stay union.

MAKAVELI

Fed Exers coming to a UPS forum and screaming about how we 'have' to help them unionize, is like a preschooler coming up to a group of adults and constantly interrupting the conversation. You try to ignore them, but eventually, you have to tell them to be seen and not heard.

Nobody is screaming for one. And no one is going to hold a gun to your head. If you want to help that would be great and appreciated. But it wouldn't be the end of the world if you personally don't care . As far as being a UPS forum, I respect that but it is also a public forum I personally don't have anything against you guys . I get along pretty good with the driver in my area. We are all doing the same job for the same reasons. Just because the companies that we work for act like *******s toward each other doesn't mean we have to.

barnyard

KTM rider
Nobody is screaming for one.

There are a couple of members here that seem pretty focused on it. MFE for 1.

I never, ever said that I would not help. I have said repeatedly, that the law needs to be changed before there is any chance. I have said that ad nauseum.

Of course the Teamsters and couriers would benefit from an organized FE. Will it happen under current laws??? No effen way.

Don't get mad at me for speaking the truth.