What does Safety Recognition accomplish?

Why do you think the Union has allowed them to become committees that serve the company and not the employees?

Sincerely,I

Maybe because Wall Streat says so.

rushfan

When the safety recognition is fake, just to make "the numbers", doesn't accomplish much. One can tell when real recognition becomes "false" recognition.

Jim Casey promoted safety, and rewarded his employees. That tradition was ruined when a bunch of accountants said, "we could save the company millions"...They may have, but many drivers looked forward to their awards. Now, we are handed the piece of paper, after it had been sitting on a shelf collecting dust, a few months after the fact.

As I've mentioned, UPS kicked the Circle of Honor drivers in the crotch, by getting rid of the banquets, and real recognition. Only to get some SHI%%Y patch.-just to save a few dollars-When these Circle of Honor drivers have saved UPS thousands, by not getting into any crash for over 25 years.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Why do you think the Union has allowed them to become committees that serve the company and not the employees?
I know what 407 is driving at, but I have a slightly different take.

What do you think UPS's response would have been had the union not allowed them? UPS has learned from the union on how to place a semi-truth into the limelight as the truth. So the union did not care enough about their membership to allow the employee's input into the safety picture at UPS........I believe that is how the spin would have been.

There is also a saying, "keep your friends close, but your enemy closer". I believe that also has some play in this issue, and why the Union "allowed" it.

As a practical matter, when it was full throttle at our center, the drivers knew it was their committee. What they brought up was acted upon. If not, after the agreed upon time had passed without action, the grievance procedure would then be used. We did get a lot of unsafe things changed, and a lot of attitudes changed toward the committee.

But it does not take long for a good thing to be ruined by self interests and lazy people in charge that are not interested in furthering safety at UPS.

Sober, you and I are on the same page on this. I just hate to see that instead of raising other safety committee's to our level, they have pulled us down to yours. Its no wonder the safety push is the subject of jokes, derision and division.

d

anonymous,

I don't understand.

Please elaborate.

Sincerely,
I
Because everything including safety is driven by the bottom line and this is driven by Wall Street. Don't get me wrong safety is #1 with me and the Teamsters but ups only really cares about the bottom line. Wall Street is the real bottom line. Think about it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Because everything including safety is driven by the bottom line and this is driven by Wall Street. Don't get me wrong safety is #1 with me and the Teamsters but ups only really cares about the bottom line. Wall Street is the real bottom line. Think about it.
What do you think Wall street,and hence the SEC would think of the manipulations of production numbers which in turn manipulates the stock price?

nicky

I truly believe that nobody in my management team really cares if I am safe or not, what they care about is the trouble and cost that comes with an injury or accident. And the person who leads our safety committee is a scab, thus when she speaks NOBODY listens. Their new thing is to get drivers to ride with teh center managers to follow fellow drivers, then have the driver come and tell you what you have done wrong. Im waiting for my turn so I can report the driver to the union!

brownelf

As a steward and safety committee member all I can say is it depends on how your center manager allows the safety commitee to function. The main reason I'm a member is because we get to review all incidents in depth and have a voice in determining whether a driver is "at fault" by our center manager. Had a "hit while parked" incident a few weeks ago that the center manager was going to charge driver as at fault, until the committee reviewed and convinced center manager that his park position was the safest available at that time due to the weather conditions. It also didn't hurt that the driver knew his depth of knowledge when interviewed by the center manager after the incident. But we don't always side with the driver either, which has always helped with our credibility. Also as steward, if an incident has been determined as a dischargable offense, I immediately have the materials and knowledge of what happened to represent that member to the best of my ability at his hearings. This has enabled me to save the jobs of many (but not all) drivers over the years, many of which (imagine that!) are now on the safety committee. As far as the safety awards go, I also feel it was a bad move by UPS to drop them. In fact we've been discussing using funds from safety committee budget to reward drivers that make the 20 or 25yr safe driving point with $500 gift cards, although center manager needs approval from corporate to do this, we've been told.

reydluap

As I've mentioned, UPS kicked the Circle of Honor drivers in the crotch, by getting rid of the banquets, and real recognition. Only to get some SHI%%Y patch.-just to save a few dollars-When these Circle of Honor drivers have saved UPS thousands, by not getting into any crash for over 25 years.

reydluap

SO TRUE!!

Last year in May I reached my 25 year safe driving accomplishment. It took until December to finally recieve the patch. The only acknowledgement I received was by an OMS handing me the shipping bag it came in and saying here you go. Here a few weeks ago we got a new Center Manager and a few good words were said to me by him. Now I find out that my name wasn't added to the State/National publication of Circle of Honour drivers for 2010. Ketter questions......Oh yeah..Ask me for the answers..... I'll put as much effort into them as the Company has for my achievement. Bitter.....you damn right I am.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A guy (or gal) who has spent a decade or more getting the sh%t kicked out of him by an old, non-power-steering truck with a high step and tiny bench seat could probably care less about recognition or cheap trinkets as an "award" for safety. All the money that is being pissed away on coffee and doughnuts would be better spent on upgrading or replacing equipment that was intentionally designed to shorten the careers of the people who use it.

Talk is cheap. So are framed certificates.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ben

It used to work that way here. But things have changed here for the worse.

As far as drivers going with center managers to follow other drivers around, you might want to check with your union before running to them to report the driver. It would seem the union has agreed to this mess.

Good luck

Integrity, it seems that you have an obsession with what they do for recognition, instead of paying attention to the other issues brought before you. That shows your total lack of integrity to the subject of real safety issues at UPS. You are showing signs of having the very symptoms that UPS is showing. What is the deal?

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ben

It used to work that way here. But things have changed here for the worse.

As far as drivers going with center managers to follow other drivers around, you might want to check with your union before running to them to report the driver. It would seem the union has agreed to this mess.

Good luck

Integrity, it seems that you have an obsession with what they do for recognition, instead of paying attention to the other issues brought before you. That shows your total lack of integrity to the subject of real safety issues at UPS. You are showing signs of having the very symptoms that UPS is showing. What is the deal?

d
dannyboy,

Please forgive me.

What have I neglected to pay attention to?

I am trying to address everything that I think warrants a response, as time will allow.

Please let me know specifically what you feel I have missed.

A link to the post would be helpful!

Thanks!

Sincerely,
I

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Please let me know specifically what you feel I have missed

LOL, you are a case. Now you want me to read all the threads and give you the condensed version so you can address them? I dont think so.

See, I believe that you have read the threads that have explained why safety recognition both was appreciated, and also needs fixing very badly. So instead of fixing it, UPS just cut it. I think you have read them, but choose not to respond. Either because you dont have the knowledge base to respond with (which you have shown many times), or you choose not to respond because it does not serve your purpose, which you claim is integrity.

So what is it going to be. You want the truth, bad or good, or just another flavor of the month club member.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
LOL, you are a case. Now you want me to read all the threads and give you the condensed version so you can address them? I dont think so.

See, I believe that you have read the threads that have explained why safety recognition both was appreciated, and also needs fixing very badly. So instead of fixing it, UPS just cut it. I think you have read them, but choose not to respond. Either because you dont have the knowledge base to respond with (which you have shown many times), or you choose not to respond because it does not serve your purpose, which you claim is integrity.

So what is it going to be. You want the truth, bad or good, or just another flavor of the month club member.

d
dannyboy,

I have read through this thread and I responded to all that I thought required one.

The main purpose of this discussion thread was to see what interested Brown Cafe members thought group safety recognition accomplished.

I have noticed that many responses focused on individual safety recoginition. This was not my main interest.

My main interest is in what people believe group recognition accomplishes.

Sincerely,
I