What is your start time on Monday

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My actual start time on the route Christmas eve was 1123. Someone at the center thought it would be a good idea to do the annual HazMat training prior to leaving the building.
So we did.

YOU GOTTA LOVE IT

It sounds as though your center manager may have been expecting that the air would be late and rather than have you guys go out, deliver and then come back for the air, he decided to hold you, give the training, and then let you guys start your areas.

We also had late air but were not held. We went out, delivered for a couple of hours, and then came back for the air. Punched out at 1500 and am hoping that I will be laid off on Monday.

Omega man

Life is full of choices. I made the choice of "wasting" a half hour while you made the choice of coming in 2 minutes before your start time. Neither choice is wrong. As for junior employees starting before senior employees, all employees were given the same choice--about half chose to come in a bit early while the other half came in at their regular times. We did start early again so I guess the half that chose to come in early chose correctly. I passed a few employees who were on their way in as I was on my way to WalMart.
I chuckled when I read how you "simply try to educate and help". We are adults and adults are capable of making our own decisions. We don't need someone such as yourself, good intentions or not, to make or help make these decisions for us. BTW, I have 21 years in.

Our start time is 0915 today but again we were told that if the preload is wrapped we can start early. We were also asked individually yesterday whether we wanted to work for hours or if we wanted our guarantee. I hope to be able to start early and chose to work Code 5 today as I plan to take my helper out to lunch.

I never expect you to listen to anyone. You will continue to do as you wish, even if wrong. You will continue to violate UPS' methods and you will continue to disregard your contract. By doing this, you will continue to victimize yourself, work harder than you have to, work longer than you have to and increase your chances of getting hurt or fired. I am not trying to educate you. You are the one who is educating. You are showing others exactly what not to do as a UPS driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never expect you to listen to anyone. You will continue to do as you wish, even if wrong. You will continue to violate UPS' methods and you will continue to disregard your contract. By doing this, you will continue to victimize yourself, work harder than you have to, work longer than you have to and increase your chances of getting hurt or fired. I am not trying to educate you. You are the one who is educating. You are showing others exactly what not to do as a UPS driver.

You are so right, especially about the "work harder than you have to" part. Unions promote mediocrity and I will not discard my personal work ethic simply because I am a union member.

Please tell me and the others here how I am "violating the UPS contract" by following my center manager's instructions regarding start time. He gave us a choice--start early if preload wrapped or start at regular time--and I chose to come in early. This choice worked out as the preload was wrapped and we started 15 minutes early.

You and I are not that much different. We both take pride in what we do and the manner in which we do it. We simply have two very different viewpoints on how the job should be done. I am not going to change what you do and you are certainly not going to change what I do.