What is your start time on Monday

over9five

Staff member
Yesterday was horrible for Package. They were still all in the building when I walked in at 9:30.
Can today be worse???

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Clocked out after 2200 last night with missed pieces and drivers were still coming in, including Ryder rentals still half full of packages, right now they're just trying to get everyone in under 13 hours. Every sup in the building was running a route yesterday, they even had the folks from HR browned up. My center manager looks like a zombie, I think he's been sleeping under his desk the last few days. Today is supposed to be worse.

Super64

I was able to bleed off 150+ to the other mall drivers before I left. Ended up leaving with just over 500 pcs to divvy up between me and my helper. 233 of which went to the same retail client. Was very awkward not having a single piece of overnight on the truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are leaving @ 1000, My count just hit 650 and they are still loading.

I was able to bleed off 150+ to the other mall drivers before I left. Ended up leaving with just over 500 pcs to divvy up between me and my helper. 233 of which went to the same retail client. Was very awkward not having a single piece of overnight on the truck.

Normally when drivers talk about counts it is stop count, which is why I said "Yeah...right...".

moreluck

golden ticket member
It could be Count Chocula and he was describing breakfast........or the count who married Zsa Zsa...he glued his eye shut today (see under wacky news). Or WWE..."he's down for the count!"

Or swingin' with Count Basie. The possibilities are endless.

Super64

Oh, Sorry, My route doesn't really have alot of stops like a resi route would. I park the truck in a loading dock and pull them all from there to the various stores (and a large hotel a few blocks away that's connected by a sky-walk). In my book I only stop once, so stops don't matter to me only package count, but I do have 80-130 "stops"a day. Today was a very heavy day for me, and tommarow will be even heavier as the stores prepare for the after Christmas and new years sales. I have been told to expect my truck to be bricked out and perhaps with some in the cab as all of the missing pcs from this morning will be put on my truck come hell or high water.

Super64

Its also unsafe to park the truck on the loading dock (which is on an incline btw) with out a working parking brake. Thats why it is necessary to chalk the wheels using the helper DIAD. FYI, the only thing I allow in the cab in terms of packages are overnight envelopes, and I require that they be placed inside the unused shipping papers bin. This has been approved by the center manager.

Omega man

I can't see where anyone was MADE to wait around to start. Everyone had the right to start at their normal start time.

What a non-issue!

If you come in early in hopes of starting early you are waiting around to start. Some days management may let you start early and some days they may not let you start early. On these days you are at work, not being paid. This is why we want constant start times. We want to know ahead of time when we can start. Allowing management to float start times hurts us because it robs us of our free time. Floating start times also violates seniority provisions in many Supplements. Junior drivers are allowed to start before more Senior drivers simply because they came in early. Understand now??

Omega man

Got to work at 0815, preload was just about wrapped and I thought we should have left at 0830 but the center manager held us until 0845 for some reason. Heaviest day so far but still punched out and gone by 1815. The center made sweeps through my 2 larger pickups (Staples and MBE) which really helped.

I guess the 10-12 of us who came in early will all get yelled at by Omega Man. Yawn.

I don't yell at my fellow Union members. After working for UPS nearly 30 years and seeing all kinds of nonsense I simply try to educate and help. Sorry you had to waste a half hour of your day. This is exactly what I was talking about. Thankfully, my Supplement guards against this by requiring a constant, unchanging, non-floating start time all week. I can come in 2 minutes before my start time and not waste any of my free time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't yell at my fellow Union members. After working for UPS nearly 30 years and seeing all kinds of nonsense I simply try to educate and help. Sorry you had to waste a half hour of your day. This is exactly what I was talking about. Thankfully, my Supplement guards against this by requiring a constant, unchanging, non-floating start time all week. I can come in 2 minutes before my start time and not waste any of my free time.

Life is full of choices. I made the choice of "wasting" a half hour while you made the choice of coming in 2 minutes before your start time. Neither choice is wrong. As for junior employees starting before senior employees, all employees were given the same choice--about half chose to come in a bit early while the other half came in at their regular times. We did start early again so I guess the half that chose to come in early chose correctly. I passed a few employees who were on their way in as I was on my way to WalMart.

I chuckled when I read how you "simply try to educate and help". We are adults and adults are capable of making our own decisions. We don't need someone such as yourself, good intentions or not, to make or help make these decisions for us. BTW, I have 21 years in.

Our start time is 0915 today but again we were told that if the preload is wrapped we can start early. We were also asked individually yesterday whether we wanted to work for hours or if we wanted our guarantee. I hope to be able to start early and chose to work Code 5 today as I plan to take my helper out to lunch.

over9five

Staff member
If you come in early in hopes of starting early you are waiting around to start. Some days management may let you start early and some days they may not let you start early. On these days you are at work, not being paid. This is why we want constant start times. We want to know ahead of time when we can start. Allowing management to float start times hurts us because it robs us of our free time. Floating start times also violates seniority provisions in many Supplements. Junior drivers are allowed to start before more Senior drivers simply because they came in early. Understand now??

Yawn.

old levi's

blank space
My actual start time on the route Christmas eve was 1123. Someone at the center thought it would be a good idea to do the annual HazMat training prior to leaving the building.
So we did.

YOU GOTTA LOVE IT