What Should I do?

CustomerConcern

Sounds like he is looking for a way out. Its up to you, but it never hurts to go to the training and get a better undrestanding of what rights you have and how to better understand the contract.

CustomerConcern

Frivolous grievances are a waste of everyone's time.

What exactly is frivolous? If its a violation of the contract should it not be grieved? Who is to judge what is worthwhile and isn't when it comes to contract violations? I find it frivolous to be wrote up for missing 2 of the 10 point commentary even though my Space adn Vis ride along shows that I use every method properly.

CustomerConcern

Whose time am I wasting exactly? And like I said, its not all the time, just when they need to be taken down a notch. I do my job the way I was trained, I show up on time, am always available for any extra work or to help any brother or sister out there. I have thier respect, but when push comes to shove I make sure they understand that OUR boss signed off on that contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whose time am I wasting exactly? And like I said, its not all the time, just when they need to be taken down a notch. I do my job the way I was trained, I show up on time, am always available for any extra work or to help any brother or sister out there. I have thier respect, but when push comes to shove I make sure they understand that OUR boss signed off on that contract.

If you wish to keep their respect you should stop with the bs grievances.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Silk, keep working with your union business manager, bypass your steward (it sounds like he doesn't want to do his job). Fill the grievances when the Sup really does something against the contract, but don't be a jerk about it. That will get you more attention than you want.
And don't be afraid to go over your sup's head either.

Would not hurt to ask for the HR rep conduct the road test as well.
Don't know how it works in Canada but HR use to road test everyone and they had to be trained to conduct a road test.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So everyone knows, it has been grieved and won in our bldg when supervisors dress in street clothes to avoid being seen doing union work. I don't know what the badge thing is about and if loosely related.

helenofcalifornia

Yet if UPS wants to write us up for a "frivolous" violation, they do. We may consider it "frivolous" (and management may consider it frivolous) but if UPSers have been instructed to do or learn this "frivolous" thing and don't, we can be written up. Right? UPS supervisors have been instructed to wear their name tags and don't. Another "frivolous" violation that can be used by UPS workers to file on. It appears to me that frivolity has been used by both sides when one wants to "get" the other.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I don't get this at all. WEhat part of your contract states that management personnel must wear ID badges and wear "street clothes"??? Isn't anything other than a uniform "street clothes"?
Who are you guys kidding?

Silk, Don't take this the wrong way, but are you working alone? Some of your questions seem so basic that I am surprised that a coworker couldn't answer them for you.
I don't even work at UPS (anymore) and can visualize what you're talking about.
If you've been there as long as you have, why the uncertainty about these things?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yet if UPS wants to write us up for a "frivolous" violation, they do. We may consider it "frivolous" (and management may consider it frivolous) but if UPSers have been instructed to do or learn this "frivolous" thing and don't, we can be written up. Right? UPS supervisors have been instructed to wear their name tags and don't. Another "frivolous" violation that can be used by UPS workers to file on. It appears to me that frivolity has been used by both sides when one wants to "get" the other.

That is a very frivolous post Helen! 5 times and that's not counting frivolity.

UPSGUY72

The problem with this post is that we only know what your tell us and we weren't there when you took your road test. They give road test to see how well you can drive a package car. They fail people for stupid stuff including rolling back and inch when starting on a hill, etc. It appears that the person who gave you your road test felt that at the time there where saafety issues with the way your whee driving. They should have filled out paper work on what you did wrong and or right during you road test.

If your going to file a grievance for something make sure that it has some substance to it other wise management could start writing you up for stupid stuff. In other words read your contract and know if cover to cover and play by the rules if you want to hold management to the same rules.

You'll have another chance to take a driving test just make sure you don't make the same mistakes and no matter what you think you didn't fail because your really good at your current job.

JonFrum

A variety of employees have gotten in trouble as a result of dealing with Management personel who were not identified as such, or who could not be identified by name.

Imagine a Manager or Supervisor who does bargaining unit work, but is "flying under false colors" and is not identiified as such.

Imagine being confronted by a bossy co-worker who you then tell to mind your own business (or worse), only to be disciplined or fired for insuboardination, because that was the new head of the building you just ignored or swore at.

Imagine speaking freely about confidential matters thinking you are amongst co-workers, only to realize you were talking to, or being overheard by, a member of Management.

Apparently Labor and Management thought it important enough to include these words in the National Master:

ARTICLE 20. EXAMINATION AND IDENTIFICATION FEES
Section 5. Identification
"Should the Employer find it necessary to require employees to carry or record full personal identification, such requirements shall be complied with by the employees. The cost of such personal identification shall be borne by the Employer.

All management personnel shall wear a nametag identifying them as supervision while on duty."