What Should We Do If Fred Wins?

LTFedExer

What's false about "IF the union ISN'T voted in most likely it will be due to the bad economy. People are worried." What does my statement have to do with the IBT? Yeah, I know it's their union, but I was talking about employees' motivation for NOT voting for the union.
Please explain to how a bad economy should motivate me to vote against the union?

vantexan

Please explain to how a bad economy should motivate me to vote against the union?

Well I don't know what motivates you, but if you look at the context of what I was saying, it MOST LIKELY would be easier to have voted the union in when times were good and yet FedEx wasn't giving us much, was even stripping away things that meant alot to some of us, like the traditional pension. And voting in the union now during a seriously bad economy might worry enough people to make them vote no. Uncertainty about the future. As I said, people worry. I was trying to figure why you called that a false statement as you brought up how the union will say this or that which looks to be unrelated to what I was saying.

LTFedExer

Well I don't know what motivates you, but if you look at the context of what I was saying, it MOST LIKELY would be easier to have voted the union in when times were good and yet FedEx wasn't giving us much, was even stripping away things that meant alot to some of us, like the traditional pension. And voting in the union now during a seriously bad economy might worry enough people to make them vote no. Uncertainty about the future. As I said, people worry. I was trying to figure why you called that a false statement as you brought up how the union will say this or that which looks to be unrelated to what I was saying.
I called it a false statement because how the economy is doing has no bearing on how I would vote. You probably THINK you know how I would vote. But, truth be told, even I don't know what I would do. Voting against isn't automatic for me. I just don't need ANYONE trying to shove it down my throat as the only option is to vote for unionization.

vantexan

I called it a false statement because how the economy is doing has no bearing on how I would vote. You probably THINK you know how I would vote. But, truth be told, even I don't know what I would do. Voting against isn't automatic for me. I just don't need ANYONE trying to shove it down my throat as the only option is to vote for unionization.

Again, I said IF the union isn't voted in, MOST LIKELY It will be due to the bad economy. On the other hand, FedEx had a good profit last quarter, and I saw in the paper yesterday that they are projecting better than expected profits this quarter. Said they were completely restoring the 401k match to employees, although haven't heard that at work. So if things are greatly improving hopefully they'll pay better. Wouldn't count on it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Again, I said IF the union isn't voted in, MOST LIKELY It will be due to the bad economy. On the other hand, FedEx had a good profit last quarter, and I saw in the paper yesterday that they are projecting better than expected profits this quarter. Said they were completely restoring the 401k match to employees, although haven't heard that at work. So if things are greatly improving hopefully they'll pay better. Wouldn't count on it.

Yeah, they'll pay better alright........if you're one of the "Memphis elite."

The rest of us are out there in the real world busting our asses to make this a profitable comapny. And most of us are all fed up with this scenario and feel that's Smith's time to pay up is LONG overdue. A majority union vote in a bad economy or good economy will happen if we just get our chance.

The economy is only as bad if you're one of the persons having to struggle through it and for sure Smith doesn't. Neither do his pals.

Van, nothing personal here but you really need to ditch your wishy-washy attitude and so do a lot of others across the country. It ain't helping matters.

bbsam

Staff member

The rest of us are out there in the real world busting our asses to make this a profitable comapny. And most of us are all fed up with this scenario and feel that's Smith's time to pay up is LONG overdue. A majority union vote in a bad economy or good economy will happen if we just get our chance.

The economy is only as bad if you're one of the persons having to struggle through it and for sure Smith doesn't. Neither do his pals.

Van, nothing personal here but you really need to ditch your wishy-washy attitude and so do a lot of others across the country. It ain't helping matters.

whine on.

LTFedExer

401K match was put back in earlier this year.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
401K match was put back in earlier this year.

401k match starts in 2011. How about now? And as far as voting for or against a union goes, you are completely free to do whatever you want. I only wish the RLA exemption could be eliminated so your station and quadro's could stay non-union, pure, and at about 75% of the pay of the rest of us.

vantexan

The truth rarely lies completely on one side. There are plenty here who can rail all day for or against a union. I prefer to look at the issues from all angles, try to understand where others are coming from, although I admit some make it hard to do. If that's wishy-washy, so be it. For example, you and others have reamed me in the past for being willing to accept less than what UPS drivers get in pay and benefits. I've tried to discuss the reality of what FedEx can do given smaller profits and higher costs per pkg. You don't want to hear it. Just bump you up X amount of dollars, pay for your entire family's healthcare, give you a $4k a month pension. Or something pretty close. Considering the huge increase in costs you are asking for when you multiply by 10's of thousands of employees, the very least you should be asking is can FedEx afford it? It's not enough to just bulldoggedly say they can, we really must know if the money is there, will there be enough left over for reinvestment into the company, and yes will they be able to pay a dividend? We don't exist for their benefit, they need our productivity to make money. But it's not their responsibility to provide us with a worker's utopia either. So let's be realistic, and hope they'll be fair. If they refuse to be fair then let's go forward, vote in a union, and see what that gets us.

FedEx courier

The truth rarely lies completely on one side. There are plenty here who can rail all day for or against a union. I prefer to look at the issues from all angles, try to understand where others are coming from, although I admit some make it hard to do. If that's wishy-washy, so be it. For example, you and others have reamed me in the past for being willing to accept less than what UPS drivers get in pay and benefits. I've tried to discuss the reality of what FedEx can do given smaller profits and higher costs per pkg. You don't want to hear it. Just bump you up X amount of dollars, pay for your entire family's healthcare, give you a $4k a month pension. Or something pretty close. Considering the huge increase in costs you are asking for when you multiply by 10's of thousands of employees, the very least you should be asking is can FedEx afford it? It's not enough to just bulldoggedly say they can, we really must know if the money is there, will there be enough left over for reinvestment into the company, and yes will they be able to pay a dividend? We don't exist for their benefit, they need our productivity to make money. But it's not their responsibility to provide us with a worker's utopia either. So let's be realistic, and hope they'll be fair. If they refuse to be fair then let's go forward, vote in a union, and see what that gets us.
If they haven't been fair in the past why would they suddenly chose to be fair. They are throwing everything they have to keep the RLA status.

vantexan

If they haven't been fair in the past why would they suddenly chose to be fair. They are throwing everything they have to keep the RLA status.

And they may yet come up with some kind of compromise pay package to try to keep the union out. If they do, let's see what they offer, and if too little too late then go forward with a union vote. I doubt that they want to give us anything, but you never know. And now that the RLA rules have been changed, we still have that option if we aren't placed under the NLRA.

FedEx2000

No, half of the match, or 1.75%, was put back in. The article, in both USAToday and the Dallas paper, quoted some company rep stating that the full match, 3.5% if you save 6%, was about to be reinstated.

Vantexan is correct, the full match will be reinstated effective 1/01/2011

LTFedExer

401k match starts in 2011. How about now? And as far as voting for or against a union goes, you are completely free to do whatever you want. I only wish the RLA exemption could be eliminated so your station and quadro's could stay non-union, pure, and at about 75% of the pay of the rest of us.
Funny, my transaction history on the Vanguard website shows FedEx putting money in. Now if you mean back to the levels in was, I agree. You can wish all you want, but you and the rest of the pro-union workers have power to help your own cause. I don't know what state you live in or who you voted for in the last elections. How did that person vote on the FAA Act?
No, half of the match, or 1.75%, was put back in. The article, in both USAToday and the Dallas paper, quoted some company rep stating that the full match, 3.5% if you save 6%, was about to be reinstated.
Still better than what UPS gives their employees..nothing. I'd rather have my money in Vanguard than in the hands of the IBT anyday. At least there I can keep an eye on it.

FedEx2000

Why wait? Oh yeah, FedEx can save even more money by stretching it out. Typical move.

I couldn't find an exact rule, but my guess is that it isn't that simple. I'm sure there are forms to be filed with the IRS, and/or changes can only be done effective the 1st of the year, just like when they took it away on 1/01/2009. Maybe they just want to make sure that the revenue/volume continues to return to pre-recession levels......