What to expect as a new employee

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Hello all,

I had my first day of training/work yesterday at my UPS hub. I was hired on for PT package handler unload/load local sort, but was told upon arrival I was going to be doing smalls.

Anyway, one of the asst supervisors gave me a 5 minute walk through the building & showed me how to do smalls & sent me on my own. I only messed up minorly a couple times but it felt like the surrounding supervisors and managers watching were burning holes into my back with their laser red eyes staring at me.
This is my first "real" job considering my last job was part of our family business. Should I expect to just thicken my skin and not let these guys smart comments and dirty looks get to me? I heard a couple laughing and then stopped & looked the other way when I caught them.

Also, if I'm put on smalls should I still expect to be trained to know how to unload and load the trailers too as well as the brown cars? Or should I expect to go in everyday and just do smalls until they need me to take over on load/unload.

Today will be my second day & despite the intimidation factor from supervisors, I'm staying optimistic and hope I feel comfortable doing my job soon. My worst fear is that I'll be 2 weeks in and still feel confused or need help/clarification and then management will be upset. I'm very nervous & anxious going into work.
Any replies helpful!

km3

Should I expect to just thicken my skin and not let these guys smart comments and dirty looks get to me? I heard a couple laughing and then stopped & looked the other way when I caught them.

Once you prove you can handle the job, it'll most likely stop. If it doesn't by the time you attain seniority, find out who your shop steward is and discuss the possibility of filing for harassment.

if I'm put on smalls should I still expect to be trained to know how to unload and load the trailers too as well as the brown cars?

You can definitely expect to be sent to do other jobs, but don't expect any training.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Just keep ur head up, work at a safe pace as you learn , ignore everyone else's sense of entitlement and you'll do fine. Refer to the search bar for any other package handler questions you may have.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Hello all,

I had my first day of training/work yesterday at my UPS hub. I was hired on for PT package handler unload/load local sort, but was told upon arrival I was going to be doing smalls.

Anyway, one of the asst supervisors gave me a 5 minute walk through the building & showed me how to do smalls & sent me on my own. I only messed up minorly a couple times but it felt like the surrounding supervisors and managers watching were burning holes into my back with their laser red eyes staring at me.
This is my first "real" job considering my last job was part of our family business. Should I expect to just thicken my skin and not let these guys smart comments and dirty looks get to me? I heard a couple laughing and then stopped & looked the other way when I caught them.

Also, if I'm put on smalls should I still expect to be trained to know how to unload and load the trailers too as well as the brown cars? Or should I expect to go in everyday and just do smalls until they need me to take over on load/unload.

Today will be my second day & despite the intimidation factor from supervisors, I'm staying optimistic and hope I feel comfortable doing my job soon. My worst fear is that I'll be 2 weeks in and still feel confused or need help/clarification and then management will be upset. I'm very nervous & anxious going into work.
Any replies helpful!
They watch and stare and giggle because after a few days most new hires quit, not everybody can handle the pace and expectations of a union job. If you are one that can, the stares and giggles will end.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Hello all,

Any replies helpful!
Ups is one big cluster:censored2:, no one has time for training. Do what they say as fast as you can. They are all watching and betting how long you will last.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Well I'm not one to give up. I just don't want to look like a jackass and not know what to do because of poor/no training and then getting blamed for not knowing how to do my job.
I've worked summers in 110 degree heat with 30,000+ bees swarming around me for 8 hours straight 6 days a week. I don't think there's anything harder or more energy draining than that.
It's just that I'm a shy one and it takes a while for me to warm up and get comfortable, and I can tell that'll take a while for me in this environment. All I can do is listen and try my hardest.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Well I'm not one to give up. I just don't want to look like a jackass and not know what to do because of poor/no training and then getting blamed for not knowing how to do my job.
I've worked summers in 110 degree heat with 30,000+ bees swarming around me for 8 hours straight 6 days a week. I don't think there's anything harder or more energy draining than that.
It's just that I'm a shy one and it takes a while for me to warm up and get comfortable, and I can tell that'll take a while for me in this environment. All I can do is listen and try my hardest.
You will discover this is the hardest job you will ever have believe it or not.

Heinrich

It has been years, and people are still staring at me. This is not the hardest job, but people often make it much harder than it needs to be. The rules can keep sups in check, sometimes, if you take time to learn them. Most new hires quit in the first week.