What to expect as a new employee

cheesebiscuit

Hello all,

I had my first day of training/work yesterday at my UPS hub. I was hired on for PT package handler unload/load local sort, but was told upon arrival I was going to be doing smalls.

Anyway, one of the asst supervisors gave me a 5 minute walk through the building & showed me how to do smalls & sent me on my own. I only messed up minorly a couple times but it felt like the surrounding supervisors and managers watching were burning holes into my back with their laser red eyes staring at me.
This is my first "real" job considering my last job was part of our family business. Should I expect to just thicken my skin and not let these guys smart comments and dirty looks get to me? I heard a couple laughing and then stopped & looked the other way when I caught them.

Also, if I'm put on smalls should I still expect to be trained to know how to unload and load the trailers too as well as the brown cars? Or should I expect to go in everyday and just do smalls until they need me to take over on load/unload.

Today will be my second day & despite the intimidation factor from supervisors, I'm staying optimistic and hope I feel comfortable doing my job soon. My worst fear is that I'll be 2 weeks in and still feel confused or need help/clarification and then management will be upset. I'm very nervous & anxious going into work.
Any replies helpful!

I've been in small sort for over a year and have only been sent to unload a handful of times. They won't expect you to be perfect at that or as fast as people who unload every day because you weren't trained for that job. Just try your best and move fast. Also, if you feel like everyone's watching you, don't sweat it. I remember thinking that everyone in my area hated me at first because I was so slow. Now I'm just as fast or faster as the people I thought hated me, and even friends with some. Good luck!

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Just got off, day 3, was told by HR this was Tue-Sat job, my supe/trainer just told me tonight it's Mon-Fri :headache:
I'm liking it better. Seems like I'll be here for a while hopefully. Was bagging smalls all night
Side note: the search bar brings you so many other great threads :thumbup:

watdaflock?

What to expect as a new hire?

Ridicule, sarcasm and despair. Always remember, hope is a mistake.

Should I expect to just thicken my skin and not let these guys smart comments and dirty looks get to me? I heard a couple laughing and then stopped & looked the other way when I caught them.

Give them dirty looks right back. Never let them smell blood. Everyone was new once.

Last edited: