What would you have done?

bigmistake

I had an 3 EAM's on Saturday. As soon as I saw the packages, I knew something was up. Local law enforcement used to come to our hub with a dog and screen packages, but they haven't been there in a while.

Anyways, the 3 packages were 13 lbs. each. They were going to a suburb of one of the poorest cities in the country. They were EAM, taped and glued throughout and the label stated to "leave on front porch, no signature required."

I get to the address, it's a dilapitated house, almost looked abandoned, no curtains, from the outside I could see piles of clothes insideand there were 2 shady individuals parked in a sedan across from the house.

I DR the 3 and went on my way. If you suspect something is up, do you have any obligation to report it? What would you have done?

ups1990

Dr procedures are out of sight out of weather. You did your job. It's not up to us, to make it our buss. as to what a package contains. Yes, you could have report it to your superiors, but this was your choice. Next time they have a delivery, then notify your supervisor.

Now, if I know for sure that a house is abandoned and have a delivery for that add. then my decision will be to get a signature, or bring it to the attention of someone.

I had an 3 EAM's on Saturday. As soon as I saw the packages, I knew something was up. Local law enforcement used to come to our hub with a dog and screen packages, but they haven't been there in a while.

Anyways, the 3 packages were 13 lbs. each. They were going to a suburb of one of the poorest cities in the country. They were EAM, taped and glued throughout and the label stated to "leave on front porch, no signature required."

I get to the address, it's a dilapitated house, almost looked abandoned, no curtains, from the outside I could see piles of clothes insideand there were 2 shady individuals parked in a sedan across from the house.

I DR the 3 and went on my way. If you suspect something is up, do you have any obligation to report it? What would you have done?
I don't know for sure, except in a neighborhood as you described I probably would not have DRed specially with no one home and shady individuals hanging around. Regardless of what it says on the package (other than the ones bar coded for shipper release) you are still responsible for a safe DR. Guessing what is in the packages can get to be detriment to your employment.

editied to add: When returning to the building I would take the packages to the Sup and tell them what happened and why.

City Driver

it said leave on porch so you left in on the porch, no signature required

might of been drugs or something else illegal might not of been

you dont know, and your not expected to know

so i wouldnt even worry about it

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
I agree too much time to think, equal lack of work!!!!
IF i was your sup I bury you with a 12 cube full of boxes to deliver then you wouldn't have time to even consider whats inside the boxes.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
This guy sounds new & came here for advice from some old pro's,NOT to get made a fool of!!! First of all that side of town to me sounds like a non D.R area,and for some reason the pkg could be D.R it's always up to the driver!! If you don't feel comfortable with a D>R ,it's up to you!! Thats the way I was taught 20 yrs ago & I always stuck by it !!!!

Dr procedures are out of sight out of weather. You did your job. It's not up to us, to make it our buss. as to what a package contains. Yes, you could have report it to your superiors, but this was your choice. Next time they have a delivery, then notify your supervisor.

Now, if I know for sure that a house is abandoned and have a delivery for that add. then my decision will be to get a signature, or bring it to the attention of someone.
There's a whole lot more to the DR procedure than out of sight and out of weather. The fact that there was someone else around to observe the DR, makes it questionable. I agree with not worrying about the contents. However the driver is responsible for the afety of the package when DRed regardless.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Driver release and away I woulda went. If I was delivering a Rasta man's marijuana good for him. Its not my business to know what I'm delivering. Even if I knew what I was delivering I wouldn't say a word. I'm not interested in getting a pat on the back while Rasta man gets pinched for a pound of weed. Sorry.

klein

Für Meno :)
One thing about "crooks". If it went successfully once, they'll do it again.
So, if that happens again , (another shipment of the same), tell your sup, you have a suspicion, before you head out with them.

brownone

Driver release and away I woulda went. If I was delivering a Rasta man's marijuana good for him. Its not my business to know what I'm delivering. Even if I knew what I was delivering I wouldn't say a word. I'm not interested in getting a pat on the back while Rasta man gets pinched for a pound of weed. Sorry.

Nice racist comment with the Rasta man. When your kids get their hands on it I am sure that will be okay as well. Much of the illegal drug trade in the United States is also tied into terrorism as well. How about when he comes up to your package car and sticks a gun in your face and asks where his packages are? Will that make it personal enough for you to care about delivering illegal narcotics? Drug dealers come in all colors and races, they also tend to be vilolent offenders.

NHDRVR

'You' did what you were supposed to do. You were on the clock to deliver cardboard.

I don't know if it will make you feel any better but you have delivered all sorts of illegal things before and you will do it again. Do not get personally involved in the packages. They are merely obstacles standing between you and getting home...

knightablaze

Nice racist comment with the Rasta man. When your kids get their hands on it I am sure that will be okay as well. Much of the illegal drug trade in the United States is also tied into terrorism as well. How about when he comes up to your package car and sticks a gun in your face and asks where his packages are? Will that make it personal enough for you to care about delivering illegal narcotics? Drug dealers come in all colors and races, they also tend to be vilolent offenders.

You're not serious? Much of the illegal drug trade in the USA would be marijuana. I doubt marijuana is tied to terrorism because of the high risk of crossing borders and how easy it is to grow the stuff locally. And then somehow robbery? While it might be fun to imagine doofus-type criminals, I think most of them would be smart enough to keep a low profile. Robbing a UPS employee with a radio and GPS unit just doesn't fit with that MO.

@bigmistake, It sounds like you might have been delivering supplies to aid in the production or distribution of narcotics. I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to order 39lbs of drugs. The risk involved in trusting UPS to deliver tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of illegal goods just doesn't add up.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, I am also not interested in the least bit as to what is in all the boxes I deliver. But I think there are major differences in what was taught 20 years ago and what is taught today in regards delivery procedures.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Call the crime-line hot line in your area, leave a message on what occurred and let law enforcement handle it from there.