What's Cookin' ??

klein

Für Meno :)
Turkey Gumbo Recipe (with leftover Thanksgiving turkey)

Servings: 8 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Don't worry about the long ingredient list, most of the ingredients are things you'll have in your refrigerator anyways, from cooking Thanksgiving feast! For gluten-free Turkey Gumbo, use rice flour, corn flour or potato starch in place of the flour.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 bell peppers, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon each: dried oregano, dried thyme
One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 pound kielbasa, smoked or polish sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
8 cups water
2-3 cups frozen or fresh okra
2 cups cooked, shredded leftover turkey
salt and pepper to taste
small handful fresh parsley, chopped
cooked rice

Directions:

Heat a large stockpot with the butter over medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble a bit, use a whisk or wooden spoon to add in the flour, a little at a time. Continue stirring for a 2 minutes, until the flour is fully incorporated into the butter.
Turn the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so, until the roux has turned into the color of peanut butter. Make sure that the roux does not burn - stay close by!
Return heat to medium and add in the bell peppers, celery and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
Add in the garlic and cook another minute or so until fragrant.
Add in the bay leaves, oregano, thyme, tomatoes, smoked sausage, broth and water.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 hour.
Add in the okra, cook 2 minutes, then add in the cooked turkey.
Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped parsley.
Serve over cooked rice.

klein

More from funny, charming Fabio :

How to make the ultimate homemade pizza

Adding toppings at the wrong time will make your dish a soggy mess, Chef Fabio warns. Fast, foolproof secrets

klein

I swear, next time I BBQ or make baked pototoes again, I'll make extra ones just to try this out the next day for breakfast.

Egg Stuffed Potatoes
2 Baked Potatoes
2 Eggs
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Various Filling Ideas:
cooked meats: crispy bacon, ham, sausage, leftover chicken/steak, tofu etc
veggies: chopped broccoli, spinach, roasted garlic, asparagus, onions, peppers, salsa
CHEESE!: cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, gouda, muenster, you name it!

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Slice just the top of your potatoes off to expose their fleshy goodness. Scoop out some of the flesh - you want plenty of room for your fillings, but you still want a good later of potato. Reserve the flesh for another use.
2. Sprinkle the inside of each potato with a little salt and pepper. Place some of your fillings into the hollow of your potatoes. How much you use will depend on how big your taters are. Just make sure to leave room for your egg.
3. Carefully crack a whole egg into each potato. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper to taste, and add a bit more cheese and fillings to the top.
4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny. (Bake for a few minutes longer if you prefer a firmer yolk.)​

klein

Yet, another leftover Turkey Recipe:

Halal Cart Style Turkey and Rice with White Sauce

Servings: 4-6
Prep Time:
10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

-If you can't find Harissa-style hot sauce, regular ol' Tabasco will sub just fine. Serious Eats suggests to toaste the pita or flatbread, but I prefer my flatbread soft and warmed through via the microwave instead. To keep the bread steaming hot (i.e. not dried out), I wrap them in a barely damp towel and then put them in the microwave.

-For Gluten-Free, substitute with GF flatbread of your choice.
-For a healthier version, substitute light olive oil for the butter and use non-fat Greek yogurt and low-fat mayonnaise (or skip the mayo altogether and use Greek yogurt only)

Ingredients:

FOR THE RICE

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups long grain or Basmati rice
2 1/2 cups chicken brothsalt and pepper

FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsleysalt and pepper

FOR THE TURKEY
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup turkey drippings (or chicken broth)
2 pounds cooked, leftover turkey, shreddedTO SERVE
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 large tomato, cut into wedges
1/2 red onion
thinly sliced flatbread or pita bread, cut into wedges
Harissa-style hot sauce (or hot sauce of your choice, like Tabasco)
Directions:

1. To cook the Rice:

Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot.
Add the turmeric and cumin and cook 1 minute.
Add the rice and stir to coat. Cook, stirring freqently, until the rice is lightly toasted, about 4 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Raise the heat to high and bring to boil.
Cover, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes without disturbing.
Remove from heat, keeping the cover on, and let rest for 5 minutes.

2. For the White Sauce, combine all the ingredients together.

3. For the Turkey, heat a large saute pan or frying pan over medium-high heat with the butter. When bubbling, add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the turkey drippings (or chicken broth) and bring to simmer.
Add in the leftover turkey and cook for 1 minute just to warm through.
Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 of the White Sauce.

4. Wrap the pita bread or flatbread in damp towel. Microwave on medium for 60 seconds to soften and heat through.

5. To serve, divide the lettice, tomato and red onion amongst each plate. Spoon rice onto each plate and top with the turkey. Add a spoonful of the remaining White Sauce onto each plate (you can use this as salad dressing for the salad or just spoon on top of the turkey). Serve with Harissa-style hot sauce.

klein

Making Soup Stock

Don’t pitch that turkey carcass. Make stock instead! It’s really very easy to do. One of the great things about homemade stock is that you are in control of what goes into it so the flavors are totally yours - instead of the flavor determined by food designers and marketers for a company that produces stock as a product. Make it as a nourishing food, not a product. Homemade stock is great for me because I need to eat low sodium more often than not and with homemade, I'm in total control of that. I also like a more fully flavored stock than you will find in most cans and boxes, and it's fun to play with the flavor.
Here are recipes for three basic stocks that will give you a strong foundation for so many recipes and meals. You are in charge of all the ingredients. My favorite amount of parsley may not be yours. If 8–10 sprigs sounds like too much parsley, scale back. If you hate celery, then do not use it. If you like lots of garlic, then add lots more! If carrots are plentiful, inexpensive, and you love them - use a bunch. Remember, you can always adjust the seasonings to suit you after it simmers a bit.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Making Soup Stock

Don’t pitch that turkey carcass. Make stock instead! It’s really very easy to do. One of the great things about homemade stock is that you are in control of what goes into it so the flavors are totally yours - instead of the flavor determined by food designers and marketers for a company that produces stock as a product. Make it as a nourishing food, not a product. Homemade stock is great for me because I need to eat low sodium more often than not and with homemade, I'm in total control of that. I also like a more fully flavored stock than you will find in most cans and boxes, and it's fun to play with the flavor.
Here are recipes for three basic stocks that will give you a strong foundation for so many recipes and meals. You are in charge of all the ingredients. My favorite amount of parsley may not be yours. If 8–10 sprigs sounds like too much parsley, scale back. If you hate celery, then do not use it. If you like lots of garlic, then add lots more! If carrots are plentiful, inexpensive, and you love them - use a bunch. Remember, you can always adjust the seasonings to suit you after it simmers a bit.
I can't remember the last time a bird I cooked didn't make stock. :happy-very:

klein

Aromate Cheese Fondue

Ingredients :

• 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
    • 350g (12 oz) OKA cheese with rind removed, cut into cubes
    • 350g (12 oz) Champfleury cheese with rind removed, cut into cubes
    • 150g (5 oz) Providence cheese with rinds removed, cut into cubes
    • 15ml (1 tablespoon) corn starch
    • 1 clove of garlic, freshly pressed

Fromage :

In a bowl, mix together the cheese cubes and corn starch. Set aside.
In a sauce pan, add the garlic to the white wine and bring to a boil. Add the cheese. Blend together over low heat, stirring gently with a wooden spoon tracing figure eights.
Serve with baguette, olive focaccia, grison meat, white ham, apple quarters and fresh pears. Nuts of various types make an excellent accompanyment as well.

klein

Yet, another leftover chicken recipe (fast and easy) :

Garlic Green Beans & Chicken

This is a really fast, nutrient and protein dense one-dish meal. It's even faster if you have a bit of left over roasted chicken on hand!

1 teaspoon minced garlic
olive oil
2 large handfulls fresh green beans, topped & tailed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/3 cup chicken stock
2 cups chopped cooked chicken

Suate garlic and green beans in olive oil over medium high heat for a few minutes. Add chicken broth and soy sauce, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until beans are cooked. Remove lid and raise heat. Add chicken, cook, stirring until most of the liquid is gone and the chicken is heated through.
Serve in bowls
(sometimes I ad a few handfulls of fresh baby spinach leaves in at the same time as the chicken so they get just wilted, not overcooked.)

klein

Crepes with Salted Lemon Butter Caramel Recipe[/h]Servings: 4-6 (makes about 15 crepes)Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 35 minutes
lemon-crepe-salted-lemon-butter-caramel-recipe-6653-2-200x150.jpg

If you find that your crepes are too thick, add a tablespoon of water to the batter to thin it out a bit more.
I use salted butter, if you're using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the crepe batter.

Ingredients:

FOR THE CREPES

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
8 tablespoons melted butter, divided
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

FOR THE SALTED LEMON BUTTER CARAMEL
4 lemons. divided
4 tablespoons butter
generous pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
fresh mint or thyme, for garnish
[h=3]Directions:[/h]To make the Crepes:
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. In a bowl, add the flour, sugar and the salt. Use a whisk to stir vigorously to break up any clumps of flour.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, just 6 tablespoons of melted butter (set aside the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter) and the vanilla extract. In batches, add the flour mixture in several batches and slowly stir to incorporate. Do not overmix. At this point, you can refrigerate an hour or up to overnight (optional).
4. Heat a crepe pan or nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Use a brush dipped in the remaining melted butter and brush some butter on the bottom of the pan. When the butter is bubbling, add 3 tablespoons of the batter in the center of the pan. Gently tilt and swirl the pan to get the batter to spread and create a thin layer. Cook for 1 minute until lightly browned on the bottom and then flip (use 2 spatulas to make it easier to flip). Cook an additional 1 minute.
5. Transfer the cooked crepe on a plate, cover with towel and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining crepes and make the Salted Lemon Caramel.
To make the Salted Lemon Butter Caramel:
1. Juice only 2 of the lemons (the other 2 lemons will be used in next step) to get 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
2. With the remaining 2 lemons, slice 1/4" thick.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. When the butter begins to bubble, add in the brown sugar and sea salt and whisk until incorporated. Add the lemon slices to the pan and let cook for 2 minutes each side. Pour in the lemon juice and let simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Pour over folded crepes, garnish with fresh mint or thyme and serve immediately

klein

[h=1]Miso Ginger Asparagus Recipe[/h]Servings: 4Prep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 10 minutes
Try this with steamed or roasted broccoli, cauliflower or grilled eggplant slices.

Ingredients:

1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
1 teaspoon cooking oil (olive, canola or vegetable)

2 teaspoons Miso & Easy (or 1 teaspoon miso paste + 1 teaspoon hot water)
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place asparagus on baking sheet and drizzle with cooking oil. Toss to coat. Roast asparagus for 8-10 minutes or until pierces easily with fork. Timing depends on how thick the asparagus spears are.
2. While the asparagus is roasting, prepare the ginger miso sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until smooth.
3. Pour over asparagus and serve.

over9five

Staff member
More, someone was telling me about some kind of seafood. Cant remember what they're called. I think he said they were small mollusks? Suggested having them with horseradish. Any idea?

moreluck

golden ticket member
More, someone was telling me about some kind of seafood. Cant remember what they're called. I think he said they were small mollusks? Suggested having them with horseradish. Any idea?
If they were mollusks (bi-valve) they could be mussels oysters, abalone, clams......all of which I detest.
Sometime people get sick when they eat them raw because they carry a bacterium.

over9five

Staff member
If they were mollusks (bi-valve) they could be mussels oysters, abalone, clams......all of which I detest.
Sometime people get sick when they eat them raw because they carry a bacterium.
Well that doesn't make it sound very appetizing! I remembered this morning: Cherrystones.

menotyou

bella amicizia
This is from Wikipedia. They look like the clams we had in the St. Lawrence. We didn't eat them, we used them as weapons. All us kids would dive for them filling up our buckets. Then, we would shuck them and use the inside clam, snots to us, and have clam wars on the deck and front yards of the cottages. I would never eat them.

Hard clam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

klein

Seafood Miso Noodle Soup

Servings: 2Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

4 ounces dried rice noodles
3 ounces fresh mushrooms
2 bok choy, leaves separated
8-10 ounces assorted seafood (fish, shrimp, scallops)
1 stalk green onion, sliced
If using Miso & Easy:
4 cups water
2 tablespoons Miso & Easy
If using regular Miso paste:
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons miso paste
Directions:

1. Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of cold water.
2. In a pot, bring the water (if using Miso & Easy) or broth (if using regular miso paste) to a simmer. Add in the vegetables, mushrooms and the seafood. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the seafood is almost cooked through.
3. Drain the rice noodles and add to the simmering broth. Cook for 30 seconds then turn off the heat.
4. Stir in the Miso & Easy or miso paste.
5. Divide into bowls and garnish with green onions.