What's Cookin' ??

klein

Für Meno :)
Today, I got leftover fresh veggies going into a crock-pot, plus corned beef and Johnsonville Bratwursts.

Ingredients:
1 can corned beef,
5 Johnsonville Bratwurts
1/2 of a whole cabbage (cut and sliced)
1/2 of a whole cauliflower (taken apart with hands)
2 large russet potatoes (cubed)
1 red bell pepper (sliced and cut)
1 onion (chopped and diced)
1 garlic clove (extra fine chopped)
2 stalks celery (sliced)
2 cubes of dried vegetable stock
1/2 cup of beer
1 cup water
1 tablespoon of hot & spicy wok-sauce
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
to season : salt & pepper, dash of hot dried chilli peppers (sofar).

Start slowcooker (uncovered) on high, add 1-2 tbs of Olive oil, add onions, celery, and Bratwurst until glazed and some salt & pepper + hot chilli peppers. (appx 20 min)
Then add corned beef until it breaks up and is hot (stirring occasionally) - add red bell peppers.
Keep slowcooker uncovered and stir occasionally until onions and bratwurst get a tan of brown. (apprx 15 min).
Add Beer and 1 cube of vegetable stock and potatoes (let beer flavour sink into the bratwurst mixture for 10-15 min).
Then add all remaining ingredients (water first with wok sauce, then cabbage,cauliflower, and the soya sauce + 2nd veggie cube on top, and at this point I also rinsed out an empty bottle of ketchup, and poured an oz or 2 of that over the meal, along with more salt & pepper).

Put lid on crock-pot, keeping it on high temp.

The End for now (that's how far I have gotten). Taste test begins in a few hrs.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Homemade Pizza Dough

2 1/2 cups flour
1 pkt yeast(2 1/2 tsp)
1 cup warm water(110-115 degrees)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
oil as needed

Add water, yeast, salt, and sugar to mixing bowl. Let proof. Add flour slowly as you mix, and be advised, the amount of flour will vary depending on the humidity of your area.

Once it forms a ball, place in very well oiled bowl to rise on warm area. About 1 hour. Punch down and form on pans.
Add favorite toppings. Cook at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes depending in the amount of toppings.

you can broil the top just a bit to crunch it up, if needed.

klein

The verdict is in ! Seriously yummy !
Don't forget to add nutmeg to the pot, did that right after the pot was filled, and let it simmer in all the flavours.

3 hrs later, I took 2 Johnsonville Bratwurst out of the pot, and fried them in hot olive oil quickly to give it a nice brown skin.
Placed them next to cabbage mixture, and sprinkeld some Maggi on top of the cabbage.
Served with ryebread and dash of Dijon hot mustard on the plate.
Was delicious !

(pic doesn't justify how great it looked) - taken with my laptop cam.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Today is Oct. 17th. Klein, you have only posted 2 recipes and you are suppose to post daily recipes. You are 15 recipes behind !!
You are doing a lousy job. You said you could do it so much better. Talking out your butt again? Too bad! :dissapointed:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I haven't posted a recipe since 9-27 and don't intend to post any either. I can't find the post now, but you said in talking about me.....I don't know why she doesn't cook it herself and take a picture like I do it.....so much better.

So, since you are self-proclaimed better, it's all yours and you're way far behind!!

klein

TODAY - Monday, October 17, 2011

Healthy foods you should eat every day

Adding these five nutritional superstars to your daily menu can help kick your health into high gear. Eggs are just one

This reminds me of how healthy lunches and dinners were Fridays' in Germany (no meat day).
One common meal was Scrambled eggs with Spinach and pan fried or boiled potatoes, on Fridays.

I actually have a craving just thinking about it now. It's a healthy dish that should be made atleast once per month.

klein

Cooler weather has us craving soup! Check out this recipe for Creamy Mushroom Bacon soup. It takes about 20 minutes to make and is sure to be a warm, hearty meal fit for a chilly fall day!

klein

I got to try making meatballs this way... (but without the scallops - allergic to seafood).

THE PERFECT ITALIAN MEATBALL

Inspired by his grandfather, Fabio gives tricks and tips on how to chose the right meat to make his famous meatballs and then makes a simple meatball using basic ground beef served up in his marinara sauce.

How to make the perfect Italian meatball

Chef Fabio shares his tips and tricks for making his famous Italian meatballs with marinara sauce. Best meat to use

klein

He didn't say "scallops" he said "shallots".....a subtle onion flavor.

(shallots)

Great, then I'll really need to try them, even though I think they might be a bit too cheesy ???
Learned a nice trick from that video though.... with putting olive oil on your hands for the meat not to stick .... works probably well with homemade hamburgers, too.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Great, then I'll really need to try them, even though I think they might be a bit too cheesy ???
Learned a nice trick from that video though.... with putting olive oil on your hands for the meat not to stick .... works probably well with homemade hamburgers, too.
A little water on the hands works too!

klein

HMMMM..... I will try it once, and see what happens :

CHOW Tip - How to Quickly Cook Pasta in a Frying Pan - YouTube

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tonight I tried Fabio's trick with "steaming the meatballs half submerged in the marinara sauce. They were quite good. I've never had ricotta cheese or shallots in my meatballs. I liked the texture....a little less firm than mine.

I already had everything, but the ricotta, in the house. I had that weird 'perciatelli' pasta with it. That's the long spaghetti with the hole up the middle. I only find it made by DeCecco.

I remember watching Fabio when he was competing on Top Chef....he was a character. The video instructions are easy to follow and the result was good. Fabio grandpa did a good job!

See the video at post # 2335

menotyou

bella amicizia
I love Fabio!!! My dad makes a certain spice marinara dish with percatelli. I was never a big fan of it anywhere else, but in that recipe.

I have always steamed my meatballs in sauce. Never added ricotta. Will try that as I love ricotta.

A lady on Diners, drive-ins..... cooked hers in the oven at 400 with water in the bottom of the pan. I tried it once. Pretty good.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I love Fabio!!! My dad makes a certain spice marinara dish with percatelli. I was never a big fan of it anywhere else, but in that recipe.

I have always steamed my meatballs in sauce. Never added ricotta. Will try that as I love ricotta.

A lady on Diners, drive-ins..... cooked hers in the oven at 400 with water in the bottom of the pan. I tried it once. Pretty good.
I always cook the meatballs in the sauce, but they are fried in a skillet in EVOO first and then dropped in the sauce to simmer a long time..