what's the job title picking up boxes at the drop boxes late afternoon?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Bluegrizzlies1, May 26, 2013.

1. Funtimes

Funtimes Member

what's the pt job called picking up boxes at the drop locations?
    and what's the pay start at?
  2. sortaisle

sortaisle Livin the cardboard dream

Don't really have such a job in my location. The only pters that pick up a letter box is the building air shuttle guy. And he's an air driver. Air drivers start at 12.50. in 24 months they make 24-ish...I forget the exact number...maybe 24.60?
  3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Dropbox Murphys
  4. cachsux

cachsux Wah

5. serenity now

serenity now Guest

The Blue Grizzly Shuffle
  6. Justaname

Justaname Member

I think it's called CEO.

BSWALKS Easily Amused

It's called how to get paid $26/hr at ups & not break a sweat. ;)
  8. Justaname

Justaname Member

But sometimes it's hard to remember the combination for letter boxes, and to remember ok do I turn the knob left or right.

BSWALKS Easily Amused

That's good, cuz thinking too much gives me a headache, & besides, I don't get paid to think
  10. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

Usually there are call FT driver that Start around 9:00 am and finish around 7 or 8 PM. In some locations they have Combo driver Air / inside workers. that will pick sweep certain business and letter boxes at night.

We have two position that work from like 5:00pm to 9:00pm then are given a two hour break then work from around 11:00pm to 3:00am. There is a grievance going through the motions about the two hour unpaid break between shifts.

As a FT driver I'm picking up letter box while working OT so at that time I'm making $48.39 hr.
  11. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

We have several full time Air Drivers, who pick up letterboxes and certain accounts that FT drivers can't make (five-hour shift?).

But those guys/gals have been there for a MIGHTY long time, make $27 an hour, and you can't get that job.

I've had to cover one of those shifts last minute...thirty plus letterboxes with a few office pickups sprinkled in: two towns in a three and a half hour span...it's a mad dash, I thought I was going to lose my mind.
  12. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

PM Air driver. Many of them were combined with hub work to create 22.3s.
  13. Funtimes

Funtimes Member

lol thanks for all the answers some made me laugh. The shift is 5pm-9pm I hope to hear something soon :)
  14. uber

uber Guest

How could it be a 5-9 shift? What happens if someone drops off air?
  15. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have drop boxes in my center with pickup times as early as 1630.
  16. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

you must be close to an airport. Our nda/INT has to be back to the building by 8 pm M-T, Nda Sat has to be back by 7Pm

I had a letter center route before the '97 strike... closed that whole department after...
  17. Funtimes

Funtimes Member

honestly I have no idea how it all works. major airport is 2 hrs away and I know someone goes to the airport sun-thur night so maybe that guys takes it to the airport on the graveyard shift
  18. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

That's actually the entire point...

There are dropboxes with 19:30 close times, most of which are picked up by the PM air driver team.

The FT drivers in that area are WAY too busy cleaning up the sixty+ housecalls they have left after their last 18:30 pickup...
  19. The Drop Box Picker-upper