Whats your #1 wish for 2008 Contract

Delivered

2 wage tiers for partimers $15/hr with NO benefits. or $11.50/hr only medical, employee could pay for the dental and vision if they so choose. Let's face it no part time employee gets full benefits these days.

For the friend/T people no raise but UPS will back off the production band wagon and give us a decent planned day.

Automatic double time for all hours over 9.5 (Enough Said)

If you want 25 and out you need to vote for the APWA, the Teamsters can't afford it.

diadlover

Now you're talkin'. Free underwear too.

Eskew only made 3 mil last year so let's not get too greedy. We have to think of his new underwear first. (I bet he wears thongs-victoria's secret leopard print). That's right Mike, Diadlover just made fun of you......what are you going to do about it?

I'm just playin' Mike! Please don't fire me.....

benschreivogel

I just want to see it resolved peacefully. No strikes. I am happy with compensation. I would like to see measures to secure the pension. I am a ways out but that would be great to look forward to. Most of all I hope my union takes note to what is going on with the big three auto makers and do what they can to insure we are the reason UPS stays #1 not the reason for it's demise. Not that the unions were the main factor in that mess,but I don't think they played it as smart as they should have. I would also like UPS and the union to find ways agreed by all to get UPSers to give a bleep about their job and their customers. We should always be better because we are union.

W

westsideworma

westsideworma,

Do you guys get some holidays in the NE that the rest of country do not get?

Once, I had a customer pissed that they want to send an NDA 's to several places on the east coast. When they printed labels, come of them was actually the next day and some were the day after next. They told me that the 800 number replied that it was an UPS holiday in that area.

I'm not really sure, I don't have the sheet anymore that outlines our holidays otherwise I'd list them.

We get paid personal holidays but thats not what you meant I'm sure (personal time off or whatever). We also get paid sick days which was what surprised me (that it isn't company wide). I'll try and find it and let you know. I know there are holidays that Massachusetts observes that some states do not and UPS observes them here as a result.

W

westsideworma

I sent a letter to my BA requesting higher pay for part timers, and more guaranteed hours (4 hours, half of the guarantee for friend/T) for part timers. I'm lucky enough to be in a clerk posistion to where I can control my hours more (within reason, I dont manufacture OT). I really feel sorry for a lot of the young guys like me who are unloaders in reload and barely get 3.5 and a lot of them don't even KNOW about the 3.5 guarantee as it is!

The benefits are nice, but I work 6 days a week (saturday air) and only take home around 240-250 per week. I really do think preload deserves a pay raise of at least 1 dollar an hour as well, their turn over rate is astronomical here.

wow they don't let you guys stick around long huh? I preload and always get at least 4.5 hrs, often 5 or over. I take home anywhere from 215-235+ (depending on the amount of OT) from that alone normally. I agree about the rate increase. I know people sasy its only part time and I agree, it is, but we work our asses off and get paid less than some burger flippers. I know they don't get bennies, but still. I think they should start us at what FedEx offers (I believe is or was $11-11.50 per hour). Our turnover rate is ridiculous...here today gone today is often the case.

Most of the reason I get OT is that I get to stay late everyday for the air (due to seniority) and what really amuses me is when the drivers bitch (and rightly so) that their airs aren't loaded (we're on PAS). They run the lines on a skeleton crew at the end of the day with each person covering at least 9 trucks (I cover 11) to do the airs. Sorry but I don't have time to try and navigate the crawlspace down the middle of 11 trucks to put the air in the 1000 section. If I did I certainly would. Who decided it should go there anyways? I used to load the air in what would be the very rear of the 8000 section before PAS. My drivers liked it much better, but hey maybe a lot of them in general do not.

cpio

1. A highly improved grievance procedure, especially when it comes to the supervisors working, because as a preloader I bust my hump and feel like going postal when my supervisor decides he's got the right to start opening tote bags up in smalls sort. If I bi*** about it I magically wind up in outbound for a week with the worst pallet jack they can find me.
2. Stop working the drivers into the ground. They make good money, but look at what they're doing to get it? No wonder they show up at my center grumpy every morning. Happy = productive, no bones about it! If a senior driver wants to be relieved of excessive overtime, send some of his ground load to a 22.3 driver or other drivers on his route that want the time.
3. More 22.3 drivers to 1) Create more full-time jobs, which is the entire point of this contract 2) Get more EAMs and Next-Days to their destinations on-time, which certainly benefits UPS when a customer is paying $50 to ship an envelope EAM.
4. Fix the damn pensions so senior employees have something to show for a lifetime of ass-busting, and newer employees like myself have more inspiration to do our very best instead of looking at UPS as another dead-end salt mine. None of us want to work for this company for the next 30 years and spend our golden years eating macaroni and cheese out of the box.

browniehound

I just hope there IS a 2008 contract....
I'm getting a little nervous too. Especially with the new govenor elect in MA wanting to give driver's licences to illegal aliens. With EDD all UPS has to do is throw these guys in a truck and pay them 10 bucks an hour and they'll be happy as a pig in crap. And at that rate of pay UPS can afford to run more routes and thus the workload won't be nearly as tough.:w00t:

diadlover

I'm getting a little nervous too. Especially with the new govenor elect in MA wanting to give driver's licences to illegal aliens. With EDD all UPS has to do is throw these guys in a truck and pay them 10 bucks an hour and they'll be happy as a pig in crap. And at that rate of pay UPS can afford to run more routes and thus the workload won't be nearly as tough.:w00t:
I'm sure you joking, but why is there always some conspiracy that UPS is going to eventually hire a bunch of Mexican's off the street, throw them in a truck, pay them half the wage, and then they will actually do an efficient job? Too many people are quick to say that being a UPS driver is an unskilled job. It isn't a trade, but it does take other skills that not many posses.

P.S.- I guess it should be noted that sometimes I do feel like a Mexican since the only conversations I have with customers in Phoenix are: "No dinero?, hasta manana!" -They tought us that in our full-time driver class.

over9five

Staff member
Imagine hearing it on the news.......

"Parcel giant UPS has announced it will not renew its contract with the Teamster Union. CEO Mike Eskew was quoted as saying, 'We will also let go any management person who does not speak Spanish, as our new uneducated, unskilled labor will come from Mexico'.

In related news, Motorola stock jumped 20% on word it will provide Spanish DIADS for UPSs new workforce."

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
DERF-----finally a post that is logical.a 2 tier P/T wage--makes sense!! To add full time employees is so expensive with all of the additional costs above and beyond the wages--health and welfare--it costs UPS $1000 a month for UPS to put someone on the road--that is $1000 a month to the Teamsters----doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to see why UPS doesn't want to add friend/T people--cheaper to pay the overtime.

And to compare UPS $8.50 and hour P/T with other companies----how many companies out there pay $8.50 with full time benefits for the entire family???

I would like to see a higher starting wage for P/T---but cut back on the benefits--makes sense, but the Teamsters woudl fight it tooth and nail-----you are talking about $$$Billions not going to the Teamsters!!

Regarding all of the comments about 25 and out-----that is what was being proposed in the 97 contract-----with some controls by UPS of the Teamsters Pension Plan--THIS IS SOMETHING THAT THE TEAMSTERS DO NOT WANT!!!

I would like to see some shared costs of health costs for FT and PT and a change in the pension plans----I would like to see UPS go to a 401K match of 7-10 %,( it worked for Overnite--it was their retirement plan!) have the employee be in control of where the money is invested (S& P 500---Mutual Fund--whatever)-----the money would be there ---and it would be 25 and out regardless of age---it could work--just don't let the Teamsters tie our hands like they did in 97!!

browniehound

I'm sure you joking, but why is there always some conspiracy that UPS is going to eventually hire a bunch of Mexican's off the street, throw them in a truck, pay them half the wage, and then they will actually do an efficient job? Too many people are quick to say that being a UPS driver is an unskilled job. It isn't a trade, but it does take other skills that not many posses.

P.S.- I guess it should be noted that sometimes I do feel like a Mexican since the only conversations I have with customers in Phoenix are: "No dinero?, hasta manana!" -They tought us that in our full-time driver class.

Yeah, the skill we have is learning to bend over and take it!

Also, like moreluck's quote "I shouldn't have to press 1 for english" At least I think its moreluck's. Coreect me if I'm wrong.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
The union`s concession in the contract before the "THE BEST CONTRACT EVER" was to lower the part-timers wage ! Thats the ibt looking out for the little guy ! Slowly -little by little the company is wittling away at the chasis of the hourly. Sooner or later they won`t have any bargaining power left and guess what will happen then. Part timers can only hope for a bonus check of $1000 to sign the next contract and $3000 for full timers. Get your crystal ball out !

browniehound

I would really like to see a 401k match of some kind. We also deserve raises of at least 3%(inflation) which of $27 is $.81. To, me this really isn't asking for a whole lot.

diadlover

Yeah, the skill we have is learning to bend over and take it! Also, like moreluck's quote "I shouldn't have to press 1 for english" At least I think its moreluck's. Coreect me if I'm wrong.

Yes, that is a skill that we have all become very adept at!
Moreluck has been on my ignore list for quite some time now due to her constant PM's to me, but yes I think you are correct.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Diad....you are such a liar!! I have never PM'd you...ever!!:wink:

Oh, and browniehound, the word is "correct". You said to correct you if you were wrong.:)

T

tTtTtTt

I would really like to see a 401k match of some kind. We also deserve raises of at least 3%(inflation) which of $27 is $.81. To, me this really isn't asking for a whole lot.

Forget 401k match - you shouldn't have any access through UPS for 401k anyway - you've got that good Teamster Pension Plan to take care of you.

You want something "extra" you can open an IRA somewhere. That'd be my solution.

I'm not particularly inclined towards raises based on inflation either. If there's a deflationary period for some-months are you interested in a pay cut based on that? I thought not.

I'd say you probably better get used to the idea of forking over money for health coverage. Based on the last two contracts where UPS continued to pay a premium even though labor in general was going for cut-rate prices (in comparison) I think you probably better get used to the idea of making less/hour.

Concessions, IOW. That's what I see.