When will ups figure out that less work means less discrepancies , better customer service,less prob

• Thread starter Nothing by 1030 anymore
  • Start date

bbsam

Staff member
Nope
Capex is an after tax and depreciated over the years to recover the expense via tax returns.
I'm a little dubious. There are indeed necessary capex's but I could see the company earmarking those funds to "recover the expense" with complete disregard to labor expense.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Put one additional driver on for 8 hours and cut 8 hours of additional overtime from 8 other drivers. seems like simple math to me but what do I know I'm just an hourly and the big brains in the Ivory tower know all.

It is math, but not simple math.

The cost of putting 1 more 8 hour job in is more than just the drivers pay.

Here are some additional costs for that 1 extra driver that you did not figure into your math.

1. Equipment and maintenance. 1 extra package car plus its maintenance.
2. Insurance, registration and taxes for that extra package car.
3. Benefits for that 1 extra employee. Health insurance, workers comp insurance, pension.
4. Unemployment when that extra driver is not needed.

According to math, in the long run it is cheaper to not use that 1 extra driver and pay the 8 hours OT to the other drivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
They always told us they lost money on our center. As many hosers, losers, riff raff and slugs we had I tend to believe them.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

And according to math Orion works.. Work drivers 10 to 12 hours. Misdeliveries cost money...driver follow ups cost money, failed follow ups result in paid claims because of too much work ..accidents due to fatigue cost a fortune...customer service suffers

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
And according to math Orion works.. Work drivers 10 to 12 hours. Misdeliveries cost money...driver follow ups cost money, failed follow ups result in paid claims because of too much work ..accidents due to fatigue cost a fortune...customer service suffers
Yes and when customer service suffers those customers go to our cheaper competition for more reliable service. which in turn costs the company way more money.

Foamer Pyle

Which gets eaten up by Capital Expenditures such as facilities and package cars,
Paying dividends,
buying back stock to pay out as MIP, etc.
Monkey Butt, this company has so many redundant layers of management, I am amazed that anything gets done. If UPS Shed about 40% of its management jobs, the company would be more efficient. Happy employees are harder working employees. I would almost consider UPS a hostile work environment. I have almost 28 years in, and have heard horror stories from old timers prior to my employment. This company has been treating employees horribly for a long time.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Tell that to the Union.
Umm... What union...Ohhhh. The union that allows ups to work you to death ? The union that has language to request 8 hour days? Language to be on a 9/5 list ? So ups can retaliate? That union?

Last edited by a moderator:

ibleedbrown

ups has been investing in tech like crazy!! the new automated systems will save the company big $$$ once they can iron out all the wrinkles.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Monkey Butt, this company has so many redundant layers of management, I am amazed that anything gets done. If UPS Shed about 40% of its management jobs, the company would be more efficient. Happy employees are harder working employees. I would almost consider UPS a hostile work environment. I have almost 28 years in, and have heard horror stories from old timers prior to my employment. This company has been treating employees horribly for a long time.
The only problem with your argument is that UPS has reduced it's management by 50% since those "good old days".
Good try though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Umm... What union...Ohhhh. The union that allows ups to work you to death ? The union that has language to request 8 hour days? Language to be on a 9/5 list ? So ups can retaliate? That union?
The Union that listens to it's members when they say they want more money for wages/benefits over stronger workplace language.