When will ups figure out that less work means less discrepancies , better customer service,less prob

• Thread starter Nothing by 1030 anymore
  • Start date

PT Car Washer

I'd gladly take a reduced rate in exchange for 8-hour scheduled days and more relaxed, manageable workloads/stop-counts.
PT earn minimum wage for 3 1/2 hours a day and they are pushed harder then I was earning $.50/hr less then drivers 30 years ago. You will not see a more relaxed workload for a reduced pay rate. Just ask any FedEx driver, or better yet go work for them.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Guess we just have to agree to disagree ..glad I sucked it up for 30 years to provide comfy retirement at 55 for my family

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How do? 8 hours times 35 bucks vs 8 times 52? You must be using common core math.

You forgot to add in the $15/hr for benefits for that extra driver for all 8 hours. The other drivers benefits are already accounted for.

You also forgot to add in the vehicle costs. Gas, taxes, insurance, maintenance and so forth.

UPS saves money by paying 8 drivers an hour OT each as opposed to hiring a 9th driver and giving them all just 8 hours straight time.

Does seem like common core math, doesn't it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm a little dubious. There are indeed necessary capex's but I could see the company earmarking those funds to "recover the expense" with complete disregard to labor expense.
If you had any idea how deep in the books the IRS looks - they have anywhere between 2 and 6 agents on the 7th floor of building 1 at UPS.
Even have name plates on their cubicles.
And Ernst & Young audit the crap out of every aspect of UPS finances ... almost as bad as the IRS.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The only problem with your argument is that UPS has reduced it's management by 50% since those "good old days".
Good try though.

Maybe in certain places, but not here. In my old center, they tripled the mgmt staff. It seems to me, that each new technology is aimed at reducing hourly employees, yet also generates new reports that must be hashed out on the Monday morning conference call and adds a new mgmt person to boot. Just a shell game in some respects.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe in certain places, but not here. In my old center, they tripled the mgmt staff. It seems to me, that each new technology is aimed at reducing hourly employees, yet also generates new reports that must be hashed out on the Monday morning conference call and adds a new mgmt person to boot. Just a shell game in some respects.
UPS does that in "problem" centers ... I was talking nationally.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Then go work somewhere else.

That's what the job is. It's what it's been for 30+ years.

It's why we get paid what we get paid. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Go deliver furniture for $16 an hour. No pressure.
It's not that I can't take the heat. It's just that my only real incentive for putting up with the heat is the fact that all the other ships around here are sinking.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's not that I can't take the heat. It's just that my only real incentive for putting up with the heat is the fact that all the other ships around here are sinking.
I know some days it seems like it sucks but compared to what other people go through on a daily basis it's nothing.

Pepsi here is notoriously bad. Their annual turnover is almost 90%. They once didn't pay their drivers for 3 weeks in a row. Every single driver up and quit on them the next Monday.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I know some days it seems like it sucks but compared to what other people go through on a daily basis it's nothing.

Pepsi here is notoriously bad. Their annual turnover is almost 90%. They once didn't pay their drivers for 3 weeks in a row. Every single driver up and quit on them the next Monday.
And that's another problem. But oh well. At least I'll be looking forward to one plush retirement at 50.

bbsam

Staff member
If you had any idea how deep in the books the IRS looks - they have anywhere between 2 and 6 agents on the 7th floor of building 1 at UPS.
Even have name plates on their cubicles.
And Ernst & Young audit the crap out of every aspect of UPS finances ... almost as bad as the IRS.
So these outside entities determine where UPS will invest their money, whether it will be in vehicles and buildings or employee compensation and staffing? OK. Now I am a lot dubious.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So these outside entities determine where UPS will invest their money, whether it will be in vehicles and buildings or employee compensation and staffing? OK. Now I am a lot dubious.
No, no outside entities determines where UPS will invest other than government regulations.

HandleMyPackage-Mgt

Richard in a box
Being an on road supervisor there are a lot of things I disagree with from both UPS's view and Teamster views.

UPS - the fact that we have ground work pushing drivers start time to almost 9am is brutal. (Ground work being late loads to facility.) Only an extra 30 min everyday allows for drivers to maximize ground with air, which everyone knows gets the day started off better. In addition, the time allowances aren't 100% accurate. As management we fight daily to get 8hrs on some routes then load up others that only nearly plan. I'm all about having goals, time allowances, etc, but they should be accurate. In a "typical day" delivery situation the time allowances are fair, but the total picture needs looked at.

Teamster - UPS will continue to load up drivers because there are drivers that no matter what work they are given, they will stay out all night. Then there are others that don't want to stay out, but do because all they do is "cry woe is me" about how they are treated unfair. Until the Union weeds out these metalities, UPS will continue to load the drivers up.

In the end, both sides have skin in this game, but honestly it will never go away. UPS is a business which must make money, and I don't see the workforce getting any better with how much society mentally weakens itself........so let the insanity continue!

bbsam

Staff member
No, no outside entities determines where UPS will invest other than government regulations.
Then if the bean counters in Atlanta are putting strategies together, are they looking to spend money on capex's or to improve driver morale by relaxing woeking loads and helping to recreate a vibrant middle-class?