When will UPS say you make too much an hour and change the hourly rate format or rate?

BrownTexas

I believe that the contract states, your lunch is to be taken between your third and fifth hour. I have always thought that since they are making us work later and later, we should be entitled to a dinner break as well. I mean, if i am forced to work till 8:30 or 9pm, I should be able to take another half hour break for a meal. Who the hell wants to wait till 10pm to eat dinner?

Sent using BrownCafe App
I think we should be entitled to a paid 30 minute break for working past 9pm.

browniehound

A couple drivers and I were sitting in office tonight taking lunch, and we were talking about how much drivers will be making in the next contract after this one. Interesting discussion really. Are they really going to continue to let drivers keep making more and more money hourly after we start making like over 40 bux an hour?

Yes, they are going to continue to give drivers raises up to and above $40 an hour and I'll tell you why. By the time UPS is paying its drivers $40/ hour, $40 will buy what $32.96 buys today or less. I'm going to say less. $40/hour only sounds like a lot to you because you are thinking in today's dollars.

For example, take the latest raise of $.70. $.70 is only 2.16% of 32.26. So if you assume inflation at 3%, UPS is actually getting the better end of the bargain. For us drivers to truly get a real raise it would have to be greater than 3% of our current rate. I can't think of 1 raise in 15 years that has been greater than 3% of our current rate. So in this sense we are not even getting a raise. Just keeping up with inflation.

Think about it. Doesn't UPS raise its rates every year along with FED-EX? These rate increases are bigger than 3% or the CPI inflation # because any CEO worth his salt is going to know this CPI# and raise his prices accordingly.

So yes, we get raises every year but the % number is ALWAYS going to be less than the inflation #. Or I should say less than the historical inflation #.

When they go into contract talks, UPS can confidently give a driver a $.70/hour raise because he knows the company is going to raise it's rates more than that, percentage wise.

Regardless of your opinion, the guys/gals at the top know what their doing.

Based on all those facts, us drivers have not gotten a real economic raise since I started driving in 1999.

$40/hour is going to keep our standard of living the same at the end of the next contract. Its not going to make us very well off regardless of how you perceive the $40/hour number.

Nothing more or less.

However, the $60/hour we would earn at OT rates could give us a better life. But, according to the majority of the people that post in this forum its never going to happen for them. Nobody wants to work over 9.5 and we all file grievances over it.

I like to argue that this is the time we are truly paid what we are worth and should welcome the overtime.

7-9 hours of OT is great. When you get to 10+ hours of OT I agree with the rest of you and say its too much.

Just my opinion...

The Range

In too deep
UpstateNYUPSer laying the law down as if he isn't one of the more commonly incorrect people on the browncafe. That's how it's done son. Reality ain't real. Riding on the edge of a lightning bolt, yeah we are.

ultimate-maniacs-2-o.gif

BrownTexas

Either that or we should be paid double time. What customer wants their doorbell rung at 845pm?
I know I wouldn't even answer the door.
Right... Knocked on a lady's house at 9 and needed a signature. She came to the door and asked who it was from behind the door. I said "UPS." She said, "Nope." And never opened the door. Had to mark it NI1. Lol. I barely knock after dark. If you really need the package you will look outside before you go to bed.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
Right... Knocked on a lady's house at 9 and needed a signature. She came to the door and asked who it was from behind the door. I said "UPS." She said, "Nope." And never opened the door. Had to mark it NI1. Lol. I barely knock after dark. If you really need the package you will look outside before you go to bed.

I would have refused it and sent it back to where it came from with JOY!

Foamer Pyle

I have had that happen to me several times, especially in the summer months when UPS really sticks it in my rear. I stop knocking on doors after 8pm, unless it's a signature required.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Damn...I need 9 or 10 hours and I still wake up a zombie.
You just think you need that much, once you get driving and working a lot, your body gets used to it. You cant let this job control your life on what you do at home or want to do when you get home. Once you let that happen, your already defeated mentally.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF
I have had that happen to me several times, especially in the summer months when UPS really sticks it in my rear. I stop knocking on doors after 8pm, unless it's a signature required.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'll knock ring honk until 3 am if need be. Customers are more than welcome to complain to the managers it's their problem not mine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You just think you need that much, once you get driving and working a lot, your body gets used to it. You cant let this job control your life on what you do at home or want to do when you get home. Once you let that happen, your already defeated mentally.

Haven't you told us that you have to take sleeping pills every night just to fall asleep?