White coat syndrome and the DOT physical

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Packmule, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

Well, again, I barely managed to pass my DOT physical because I have a panic attack when I take the DOT physical. 30 years and no problems, but when my hearing got bad enough to need hearing aids and I still didn't have them, it put the fear of God in me and my BP spiked. Now it's spikes irregardless of having hearing aids and BP meds!
    Just took it here at home. 127/76.
    Kiss my $&@?(
    Anyway, I wonder if it would matter if a guy switched general physicians so that the company DOT clinic is also your regular doctor. Then he would know your true history and spot white coat syndrome instantly.
  2. Atleast you passed. hopefully not too many more to go!
  3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yep I scrape by everytime. Deep breathing techniques can help some.
  4. Packmule

I only get one year ones now, so it's two more max. I'd like to retire January 1, 2017. Get that last bump in the pension so I don't spend the rest of my life wishing I had another couple hundred bucks a month to buy food with!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Packmule

They actually let my wife come in and help calm me down. Appreciated that! And my wife!
  6. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

:2scared:Squeeze one off in the car before you come in. :winks:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

Don't drink any coffee that morning. Calm yourself while you are waiting to be called back.

Think about the most beautiful landscape you are familiar with and place yourself there in your minds eye. While they are pumping the cuff and then releasing the pressure, continue to take slow controlled breaths. Visualize that special setting through it all.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Must be nice. My wife is probably the source of my HBP, not relief for it.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck
  9. idrivethetruck

idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

Drink plenty of fluid the night before and the morning of your physical. The more hydrated you are, the lower your blood pressure.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Packmule

Tried all that. Guess I'm just too high strung!
  11. Packmule

Will keep tis in mind. Thanks.
  12. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

What ever you do, don't think about your route girlfriends.....

Didn't know it could even go that high.
  13. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I used to scarf down a couple of bananas before the physical. The potassium is supposed to be good for BP. My personal Dr recognized the white coat with me. She gave me 4 or 5 sample packs of Lexapro. It settled me down a lot. Changing drs like you're talking about is discouraged. Accused one of our guys of "doctor shopping". Since I retired, I don't worry about my BP. strangely enough, it stays down now. lol.
  14. 30 to life

30 to life Active Member

Rub one down before you go in should lower your bp
  15. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

What about the blood pressure, though?
  16. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

That actually works. :deletesmiley2:
  17. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

18. gorilla75jdw

gorilla75jdw Active Member

My wife has a special way of calming me too . I love it
  19. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

I heard if you up your BP meds and take a pain pill just before you go in it helps....or so I've heard.
  20. pickup

pickup Well-Known Member

Agree, 100%. On a related note, whether you are very hydrated or not, you do have to piss into a cup for the test. Make sure that the test and hence, the pissing is done before the blood pressure test. All that straining to hold that piss in(that you built up for the test) is not going to help your blood pressure.