Who saw this coming?

MAKAVELI

They can blame the driver for now, but the driver of course won’t be there when full autonomy is achieved. Which will be the main selling point of autonomous vehicles. That letting the computer drive is safer and you can watch your cartoons on the way to work.
Over 6000 pedestrian death's last year. This is the first involving an autonomous vehicle. I'd say there are more chances of getting injured or killed with a human behind the wheel.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Over 6000 pedestrian death's last year. This is the first involving an autonomous vehicle. I'd say there are more chances of getting injured or killed with a human behind the wheel.
That remains to be seen. What’s the ratio of autonomous drivers to human drivers?

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Not the pedestrian
8F13AEB1-31B5-4324-B975-46BACE678E50.gif

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Currently, if your car rolls into a house, it’s your fault. Because you control it. And you lost control. Same for your dog biting someone.

Are you sure the owner of an autonomous vehicle would be at fault? Why would anyone buy one instead of trusting themselves to drive safely if they’d be culpable for the actions of a machine outside of their control?
Trust is the key word, these have to be made to be safe for the general public before anything will be sold to the general population.

Another example would be who’s at fault if a car that can park itself hits another care while performing that function. You switched it over giving the control to the car with the understanding of loosing control. These self driving cars would always be able to be used as a traditional car, to be controlled by the driver/passenger. If a company, in this case Uber, lets the car do its own thing, they willfully give up that control and accept all liabilities.

This is why, in my opinion, we won’t see companies adopt this technology until waaaaay past it’s generally accepted by the population.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
And how many autonomous vehicles are currently being tested on public roads?

rod

Retired 22 years
For those of you worried about being replaced with some kind of robot vehicle and a robot delivery guy---you just got a reprieve for probably another 10 years added on to what was predicted before. Upstate beware---even the robot cars can hit you.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
even orion saw it

Yeah, sad to say we all expect the unexpected... they should have been more cautious when the operator behind the driver seat wasn't paying attention to the road.

Ugh, img tags aren't working correctly
idiocracy-mike-jude-l0MYNffQHWSMFFKLu

idiocracy-mike-jude-l0MYNffQHWSMFFKLu

yeah-yes-ok-idid-andrew-scott-gif-7706250
yeah-yes-ok-idid-andrew-scott-gif-7706250

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Back when google and a few trucking companies were the only companies to work on autonomous cars. I would have said no way.

But these friend****** at uber and apple are venturing way to fast into the scene and the increased competition from 3 companies to tens, maybe hundereds of viable tech groups was going to get someone killed.

Uber is my #1 most hated company on my list just behind walmart and amazon, it does not surprise me one bit they were the first to run somebody over.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Back when google and a few trucking companies were the only companies to work on autonomous cars. I would have said no way.

But these friend****** at uber and apple are venturing way to fast into the scene and the increased competition from 3 companies to tens, maybe hundereds of viable tech groups was going to get someone killed.

Uber is my #1 most hated company on my list just behind walmart and amazon, it does not surprise me one bit they were the first to run somebody over.
There’s a group at the local university that tests their prototype on campus. No fatalities yet.