Who to go with

'Lord Brown's bidding'

There have been times in the past where businesses, particularly stores, give me grief about who is going to sign for the packages. If I was having a bad enough day, I'd just driver release the packages and leave, over the objections of the cashier or, in a couple instances, an office lady at a school. I always thought since DR was the easiest for drivers, taking the least amount of our time, that it was cheaper for the customer. Now I know.

I have been told that if I use the address correction feature in the board it won't register, and thus the customer isn't charged. The reason given is that some drivers would "address correct" legitimate addresses to get the allowances. Another example is "unscheduled pickup". If we use that at our center now we don't get credit for the stop and/or pieces. We were told to add the pieces to another pickup stop to get credit for them. The only instance where we could use 'unscheduled pickup' is if on a trip that has no scheduled pickups (typically a split trip that mainly does residentials) and we are asked to help someone with a pickup.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There have been times in the past where businesses, particularly stores, give me grief about who is going to sign for the packages. If I was having a bad enough day, I'd just driver release the packages and leave, over the objections of the cashier or, in a couple instances, an office lady at a school. I always thought since DR was the easiest for drivers, taking the least amount of our time, that it was cheaper for the customer. Now I know.

Easy and right are not normally one in the same. I'm surprised you didn't receive a customer concern in those two instances.

I have been told that if I use the address correction feature in the board it won't register, and thus the customer isn't charged. The reason given is that some drivers would "address correct" legitimate addresses to get the allowances. Another example is "unscheduled pickup". If we use that at our center now we don't get credit for the stop and/or pieces. We were told to add the pieces to another pickup stop to get credit for them. The only instance where we could use 'unscheduled pickup' is if on a trip that has no scheduled pickups (typically a split trip that mainly does residentials) and we are asked to help someone with a pickup.

I use ADC at least 4-5 times a week.

Don't tell the boys in the "beating letter boxes" thread about unscheduled pickups and adding the pieces to a scheduled pickup stop. They will tell you that you are not following methods nor are you working as directed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The way I handle these situations is to smile and be polite and friendly and say "Dont worry about it, I understand, I will just go ahead and sheet these packages as refused and send them all back so there wont be any problems with you signing for them. Have a nice day" and start walking away. 99% of the time they have a change of heart before I get to the door and develop a sudden "willingess" to sign for them. The other 1% of the time, the packages go back, their boss gets P'O'd and wants to know who the hell refused his shipment, and from that point on there will be no further problems with getting a signature. The key is to be friendly, yet firm. I am not going to spend 20 minutes wandering around and begging for a signature, I have customers who want to sign for their packages that are waiting for me to show up so either way I need to be moving along. None of it is personal; they are just boxes; the customer either will sign for them or they wont and its all the same to me either way.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Easy and right are not normally one in the same. I'm surprised you didn't receive a customer concern in those two instances.

I use ADC at least 4-5 times a week.

Don't tell the boys in the "beating letter boxes" thread about unscheduled pickups and adding the pieces to a scheduled pickup stop. They will tell you that you are not following methods nor are you working as directed.

I always laugh when somebody tells me that they aren't getting "credit" for a statistic.
I act very concerned and ask them how much time was missing from their time card?
When I explain them that we get paid by the hour, bonus or no bonus, they walk away more confused than they were before.
I simply use the DIAD as tool to ACCURATELY record my fair days work for a fair days pay.
What IE thinks is of little consequence to me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dearest Dave

The business is to the side of the home, about 100 yards away. IT has a large parking lot, lots of parking and turning room, a staff that is there each weekday to take care of customers, who also have the education and ability to sign their names to the diad. I know it is a shock to you Yankees, but we does no how to spel ur names......

But for some reason, they rarely do.

The stone "wall" is only a col that supports the gate. IT is less than 2 feet square. Traffic going both ways had no problem seeing the package during the daytime. And of course, since we were open for business, the employees had no reason to be on the lookout for a package at the end of the drive.

And yes, there is a prefered delivery area, its called next to the cash register at the desk. The route is on one driver one day, another the next. Both drivers have 10+ years. But I would not see that as an excuse for leaving it where it was left.

d
Danny, as you know, we have many business resi customers and while I DO NOT advocate this as a proper delivery, I DO advocate to my customers that if they have a delivery issue they should call the center and have notes put in CPAD as to proper delivery locations. You should know this, I'm sure you do know this. Be pro-active in your business needs.

PS, I have not yet read this entire thread, this is just my first reaction to your OP.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
A stop can be tagged as both. If the packages say Dans Fish Emporium then it's goes to the shop as commercial. If it's Mrs Danny's VSC pckg and it gets left on the front porch per DR methods then that's a Resi stop. In this case it was a bad delivery either way.
Yes, I agree. I have done this on many occasion. This is true customer service.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
As far as the driver putting the dr location as front door, there is no option for fence. In order to put the location he would have to select other as the dr location then he would have to type in FENCE as the location.

After selecting other as the location I believe you have to scan a delivery notice before you can complete the stop.
We have, DR-gate. I have used it on many occasion. If I need to further clarify gate location I type it into either consignee box or next to pkg scan.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

​We are allowed to DR shipper release, business and resi alike.

We may be allowed to but I refuse to DR a Basic to a closed business. I would not want to have to walk in the next day and say "yeah, I know that you were closed, but I left it by your front door so that everyone and his brother could see it as they walked by."

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
just call your center and tell them you want your address to be signature only

i'm pretty sure i know which center delivers to you also, being as you're in my area..
​ Hallelujah, a sensible answer. There have been many good answers but this one is by far the best.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Again, why should I have to do anything? There is nothing wrong with my business. There is nothing wrong with my employees. And I have already paid for a proper delivery. So why should I have to do a single thing to get my packages delivered as promised? There were at least 5 different things wrong with this delivery. There is nothing I can ask UPS to do about my deliveries that a lazy or dishonest delivery driver wont ignore or try to bypass.

d
Can't bypass a sig req except for a shipper release. And why wouldn't you want to do something? You are here asking us so you obviously want something. You already know the system Danny. You know how it works. As a steward, you have defended drivers for stupid things. Some of them, I'm sure, were intentional some not. Now you are on the other side of the coin as a customer. Use your knowledge to help yourself. You have a unique opportunity in that you were a driver so you know how to work the system. Many customers do not have that knowledge.

Look, I'm not trying to argue with you. You obviously are frustrated and have a right to be. The DR was not a good one. You have had many good responses here. MPO is the sig req option is the best. As a customer you pay for the right to expect the best service.That is what UPS is supposed to be about. We fall short sometimes and you KNOW this. Like I said before, be pro-active. You are NOT the only customer that has complained about the lack of service. Hell, we drivers complain about it too. Train your driver (I don't remember reading if you have a new driver or if this was done by a cover driver). Was this a matter of the driver not getting there before your close time?

You said, "There is nothing I can ask UPS to do about my deliveries that a lazy or dishonest delivery driver wont ignore or try to bypass.". This is true. Make the driver do his job. You shouldn't have to do this, I agree. It is what it is. Right or wrong.

AKX

We have, DR-gate. I have used it on many occasion. If I need to further clarify gate location I type it into either consignee box or next to pkg scan.

I have asked my manager to add DR gate to our list of options as there are several house stops on my route with gates that are closed 98% of the time. So I always bag the package DR other "gate" then hafta scan a notice. Not a big deal but would be nice just to have the option. He doesnt feel its necessary and worries if given the option some of the gunners will think it is ok to DR to the gate even if its open such as in Dannys case. So I will keep wasting notices.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
From danny's description this is clearly a business so asking that his address be signature only is redundant.
You are right, it is redundant but it is also a viable solution. His primary address is designated as a residential address. This is a gray area that we drivers deal with everyday. As do the business customers that work out of residential addresses. Any good driver who cares about their customers will do what they can do to take care of their customers. Danny apparently has a driver that is less caring.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why should he pay $5-10 more per package to compensate for a driver not doing his job?
he shouldnt, but to tag one sig only eliminates the problem if he is using ups. Since they are obviously at the business, they would then go the extra mile they should be going anyway, that really isnt the extra mile it is their job. Other than that I use usps for lighter pkgs also like Hoax does.
Sent my grandaughters bday gift 600 miles using and asd, as my printer took a crap. they charged me 28 bucks for a one day ground shipment, never again. They said I failed to provide the shipper number, its in collections, I just wont use it anymore.