Why does UPS have such a high turnover rate for package handlers?

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is from the McDonald's Site......

"friendor instance, the average starting pay for an employee at McDonalds is over 8.00 Per hour."

If it was over $11, don't you think they would say so???

S

splozi

Yeah, I don't know what the hell they were talking about.

McDonald's Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

I also read various pages where, four years ago, people were making minimum wage at McDonald's. Minimum wage has gone up, but not by THAT much. Pay varies by franchise. So if you live in a high cost area, pay will likely be a bit higher.

klein

Für Meno :)
This is from the McDonald's Site......

"friendor instance, the average starting pay for an employee at McDonalds is over 8.00 Per hour."

If it was over $11, don't you think they would say so???

Sad, isn't it ?
That's the US though, they need to make the rich, richer !

Minimum wage in Alberta is $9.40,/hr, so no way in hell could they only pay $8.00 !

Newguy123

For small sort, get bent. Want to complain about pushing 2 ounce-5 pound boxes all night, then you need to go apply at Walmart or Mcdonalds.

Think the problems the guys I talked to were complaining about were the bagging part of the small sort. They mentioned something about bins getting jammed a lot, and always getting slammed with non stop loading of the bags and never being allowed to take their 10 minute break. I don't know, I don't work in that area.

Johnny815

I was 5'9'' weighing 155 lbs. when I started.... two weeks later I was at 135...I eventually got down to 120!! Luckily, I'm sorting now and was able to gain back to 145.

Yeah, I've seen guys quit their first day. Recently we had a new hire quit within his first hour!! It's no wonder, with the working conditions and the low pay, how do they expect people not to quit?

I've heard some horror stories with anything from P/T feeder loading all the way down to small sort. For example; many UPSers at one location say small sort is a dream job, yet over at another, larger location (like a hub) people say it's a nightmare (especially when understaffed). I've also heard similar stories about the feeder loaders, where they will often higher a new guy and expect him to have his trailer loaded in 30 minutes. Is this common around the country? Also, ever hear of anybody walking out on their first day?

EDIT: Grammar
I think it's because the job kinda sucks.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Dakota is a special crcumstance......workers go there and can't find a place to live because of the oil boom there. They have camp cities so they can house people.............the rest of the country is not like that.

2 by 4

DS

Fenderbender
Right, you're bloody well right
you know you got a right to say
Ha-ha you're bloody well right
you know you're right to say
Yeah-yeah you're bloody well right
you know you're right to say
Me, I don't care anyway!

Wiggle Wagon

At my location, they start at $8.50 an hour.

This I just don't understand. Say they bumped the pay up to even $11.50, I bet they would have a much lower turnover rate. It costs money to hire and train people. You would have more tenured employees with experience and a better morale.

But I could be wrong I guess. I've been wrong once before.