Why does UPS have such a high turnover rate for package handlers?

klein

Für Meno :)
Gee, they pay people in India or the Phillipines around $1 an hr !
In Canada they start off with around $13 hr.
They earn billions in profits, and Wiggle is right !
Besides, a large turn over isn't great for UPS, some of these people that either quit or have gotten fired will end up in charge of shipping somewhere, and I doubt they'll choose UPS if they have been mistreated.

working up a sweat

In my hub, on the night sort, the turn over rate is 2 or 3 people quitting a year out of over 100 rank and file workers. The insurance benefits are the magnet to stay and tough it out. HR tells the the newbies about the bennies. The older family person will not quit. Because if they make it to the health benefits seniority time, they know it is worth 30.00 an hour. I see people who own small businesses(usually contractors) working here, because it cost them over 1500.00 a month out of pocket for health insurance. The younger single newbies don't see this. Making a low starting wage and paying Teamster initiation dues makes the younger ones quit.

W

want to retire

It is interesting that I made $11.70 as a part timer 30 years ago! Although $8.50 would still have been way above average back then. The real difference is the fact that it can literally be a decade or more waiting for full-time jobs. I waited 22 years for my Feeder job. The other difference is that you can't really go to the freight lines, airlines or auto industry for a comparable good paying job.