Why does UPS insist on lying to future employees about hours?

bmwils

If you are talking about preload, which I believe you are, I was told to be available between 3am and 9am. They do every thing based on volume, as was stated before. When peak comes, you will be starting at 1am potentially. If you don't/can't do that, then maybe you should look somewhere else. Preload is crazy. I loved most of it, but it is wild.

Nah, I actually work Twilight which can be between 4-10 but we still work with our volume. I couldn't imagine working at that time in the morning, haha.

Good luck.:happy-very:

Nah, I actually work Twilight which can be between 4-10 PM, and we still work with volume. And I couldn't imagine working during those types of morning hours, haha.

UPSER110

You should feel lucky that you aren't laid off a few times a week. You should feel grateful you have a job in the economy. New guys here start on Preload and are getting sent home early and laid off several times a week. Then they try to tell them they are "on call" only to come work for 3 hours or less at 4am. I work the PM Sort and I would love to be getting those hours, you are getting overtime each day you work over 5 how can you complain about that. I graduated college almost 2 years ago, the jobs aren't out there, and you have a great job now.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hey BM, Island was not joking, he was serious. And he was right on the money.

I also agree with 72. You would complain about having to drive to the state capital to pick up the lottery winnings. It might put you out, or interfere with your all important plans.

Like I said, go ahead and quit, that will allow you some time to get in touch with all those raging inner feelings.

d

satellitedriver

Mr. moderator :knockedout:, did not even bother to think it may have been posted from a clumsy cell phone where every word and letter correct is time consuming?
Mr. Sleeve,
you are blaming the tool, not the hand that controls it.
It takes little time to look at the screen and read what one has written before hitting the send button.
I posted as a poster, not as a moderator.
I did bother to think, and that is why I posted.

leumaS

Maaaaan you have got to be kidding. I work on the freight side of the operation and haven't been lucky enough to get 5-6 hours in the last month or two COMBINED! Havent worked since mid-late January. I don't know your situation but is a hour or 2 a day gonna kill you? If so quit now and let someone else be lucky enough to pull OT EVERYDAY! luckily for me I have a full-time job that pays my bills.

bmwils

At least Stewardtwoniner GETS THE POINT around here in the post, meh. I already stated the overtime doesn't bug me as much as the lack of initial information did. Not to be even more rude, but read around before you harp on a subject that this post isn't even fully about.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Waaah...Life isn't going the way they told me it would.....wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My XBOX is getting cold wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
BM, in the larger scope of things that you could have going wrong in your life, if this is the extent, be thankful, very thankful.

as the lack of initial information did
Now, lets address your gripe. You were told by whom? HR? They will tell you what ever YOU WANT to hear. And you will hear what you want to hear. Its their job to fill jobs with live bodies. That is how they get paid.

Further, HR is removed from the reality of UPS. Most dont have a clue as to what actually goes on in ops. They think they do, but shut away in that office, they just recite what they know. That part time is more than 3.5, but less than 5 without overtime.

What they dont tell you is since they keep drivers out all hours of the night, your job just might be a bit longer than 3.5. And that is your rub. That because the driving workforce has to work 9.5-11 hours a day, you have to work longer hours. It happens, it is the nature of the beast.

What YOU dont get, and why you wont find many that will whine with you, is that most of the people on this site either work 10-12 hours a day, which most didnt want or plan for when they took the job, or the part time workforce that is only getting 3.5 hours a day and need more. And the last thing anyone wants to hear is some snotty nosed kid whining about how they were lied to for having to work an extra 30 minutes to an hour a day.

So grow up. Life is full of suprises. ITs how you deal with them that makes you what you are. Or not.

d

satellitedriver

the problem with your argument was that

sat the poster flamed the another poster on his education

two posters who objected to sat the posters flame then had their mildly objectionable posts edited by Cheryl in defense of sat the flaming poster

the correct response should have been that sat the flaming poster should have had his post edited by cheryl.
sat the flaming poster should then have been given a warning since two members of this board found his post objectionable.
Instead Sat the poster is allowed to flame here because Sat is also a moderator.
I restored your post that Cheryl deleted.
Now tell me, how did I flame that poster?
My first post was positive about education and did not directly flame anyone.
My second post was in response and just pointed out the obvious.
"The Flaming Poster" would be a great avatar, if I chose to use multiple personalities in Brown Cafe, like some people.:wink:
I could, but I might come across as trying to sound like a mensch.

Channahon

Looking at your responses from posters here, many of them have or had been with UPS before you were born, and spent their careers at UPS. You have been with UPS for a month, and state the company lied to you about the hours you might have to work?

Perhaps your whining would be better suited at another company, as many unemployed people, due to the economic downturn over the last 5 years, would welcome your job and overtime.

You are very bold to use the word "lie" as I am guessing you have not had many jobs in the past, and if you have, perhaps other companies "lied" to you as well.

I am so happy to have spent my 28 years at UPS, and not have to deal with employees who challenge UPS as an employer. There are other options in life.

Good Luck