Why in the world did we have a ERI Survey this year

D

dannyboy

"As always, if you truly believe HALF of what you post here, then definitely watch your back"

FE

That sounded like a threat.

d

P

pd109

I truly believe that ups has become corporatley challenged,in that the real Jim Casey that started ups, actually cared about his customers.Its become a conglomerate that is missing his whole point.In Caseys day the the supes had to be able to <u> the job before becoming drivers.Now its run like microsoft.
Everyone at ups should learn how to deliver packages.That way,when volume is crazy,us drivers get some help from the people we are creating paychecks for.As a driver it pisses me off that when you have 40 more deliveries than a human being could possibly do in a day,are instructed to do your pickups,and scan what you bring back as missed.If it was my company,I`d get the account execs out in force,and do what they tell us to...every package,every day...its
more than frustrating...hey tie guy,I`d actually put in my letter for management if I thought I could make a difference,but its way outa hand up there in weareomnipotentandwillprevailland...I`ll pass,do my 11 1/2 hrs every day and watch Jim Caseys dream slide into the sunset.only 15 years to go.</u>

D

ddomino

I find that there are some questions that they can assume a positive from everyone. Several years back, when they would go over them in the pcm, we had a lower than expected on the question of " Do you know how the promotion process works at UPS?. Well now every Jan every employee gets a letter telling them how it works. If that question falls or is placed in a section with a question that could go either way, or more negative, it bring that section overall UP. This is nothing more than management trying to show the outside wourld what a great co UPS is. These results are part of Fortunes Magizines statistics to place the top 500 co on their survey. The whole thing is a joke. If they truely cared, things would get better not worse. Which way have they been going???????

O

ok2bclever

For the last five years I was asked by my center manager (three changes in that time) to take the ERI and ushered to the PC by him and told that my input would reflect directly on him (with an implied pretty please doe eyed look).

This year I was asked by my center manager to take it, but actually ushered to the PC later by a driver supervisor who told me I had the choice to choose who the first twenty-five questions would reflect on.

The choices were the three immediate driver supes in my current center (the responsibility for the clerks has been bounced around between the two centers the last couple of years).

I asked if I could choose a center manager (realize this was just an informational question as I don't have a specific ERI related issue with any of my current management team) instead and told the choices were the three supes.

I have never been asked which specific driver supe did I want my ERI input to reflect on before.

So either they have been picking that for me or it is a change this year.

K

kybdbanger

OK2B,
Just curious, you wrote "..The choices were the three immediate driver supes in my current center..."

Were these three choices somthing that you had to actively select from the ERI, as in a drop down box with their names, or was it implied by the person leading you to the computer that your answers would somehow magically apply to these individuals at your center?

It is my understanding that nothing that specific will ever be required from you during the ERI. When you are logged in to take the ERI, you specify the RR/DD you are in, with a specific reporting area, but the ERI will never apply to specific names at that level for your responses. IMO, either someone is trying to blow smoke somewhere on your person, or you have a corrupt center. When the ERI is taken, there should not be any input from anyone in management as to how you should be answering the questions.

On another note, are drivers assigned individual emails, or are you as a driver out of the loop as far as UPS assigned email?

Your ERI should be a representation of your local management team, which usually indicates center manager and higher, not supes.

Just my 2cents worth.

D

ddomino

We as drivers are not only out of the loop when it comes to Co e-mail, we are out of the loop on everything

T

tieguy

"A)the retaliation by a fortune 500 company?
B)the unjust termination of an employee?
C)an employee standing up for his rights?
D)a fortune 500 company having to pay for the damage that they did, according to the judge, do?"

Why yes trickpony exactly. This company has many people in postions that should prevent retaliation and intimidation and unjust discharges of its employees.
An HR managers job includes evaluating these types of complaints and ensuring fair treatment. In your mindset of the evil corperation feel free to believe he is to do this to protect this company from lawsuits. We have many means made available to protect the individual from this type of misstreatment including the 1-800 number and binding arbitration. So reality is there is no plasma orb called "the fortune 500 company" that goes out and abuses individuals there are individuals in a corperation that badly bungled their jobs in preventing something like this from happening. Not all of us are out to screw the poor working man. I had my quarterly grievance review meeting recently with the local business agent where we reviewed two grievances a run that moved and a vehicle comfort / not repaired timely issue. Everything else the stewards and I resolve without getting to a local hearing level. While you run around referring to this company like we are some type of evil "empire strikes back" organization there are many of us that are actually trying to make it work.

T

tieguy

"Were these three choices somthing that you had to actively select from the ERI, as in a drop down box with their names, or was it implied by the person leading you to the computer that your answers would somehow magically apply to these individuals at your center? "

In a center with multiple supervisors the driver is asked to rate his immediate supervisor. While most drivers have some contact with other managment thier immediate supervisor should be the one that affects them the most. ERI scores then come out by supervisor.

O

ok2bclever

ky,

It isn't magic or even mysterious, the driver supe that logged me into the ERI asked me which one of the supes I wanted this to reflect on when she got to that point in the logon, I told her to make it her and she put in a code that represented her in that loggon box and finished bringing up the ERI program for me and then left the room.

As far as non-specific, it asks my function area (clerk) and whether I am full-time or part-time (full) which narrows it down to three people in my building.

Now I remember reading in previous ERIs that groups smaller than X (don't remember the number) would be lumped together with some other group to keep it more anonymous.

Of course this is done some time after I have told it specifically that I am a full-time clerk and then answer the questions, so it's a matter of conjecture on whether or not it is truly not-tracked.

Hey, I take UPS's word for it, they wouldn't tell me something that wasn't so, right?

Here is the bottom line, it doesn't truly matter to me, I would take it the same way filling in my name and employee number as I state my beliefs on the computer the same way I do to the management team face to face.

We agree on some points and we agree to disagree on others.

R

rushfan

I refused to take it. I've been asked 5 times to do so, and I still tell them no.

D

ddomino

Last years results are posted at www.upsers.com the first link is for the ERI results from 2004, the second link is for The Employer of Choice Index (ECI). Yoy must first log into your upsers account then copy and past the following url into the address bar. Of the five overall sections, 1 is 75, one is 76, 2 are 70, and 1 is 73, for an average of 73. If as an employee we wer only 73% effective in our job, would we still have a job?

Here also they brag "UPS achieves increase in both" Keep in mind every 25% is equal to 80,666 people. If the answer result is 75 then 241,998 responded positive and 80,666 responded negativly. Considering of the 322,665 respondants over 100,000 are management, that 80,666 is a very large number of people who are unhappy with many of the items in question.

If as an employee we only were 73% effective (27 of every 100 pkgs on board dosn't get del) would we still have a job?

T

tieguy

"If as an employee we only were 73% effective (27 of every 100 pkgs on board dosn't get del) would we still have a job?"

interesting question. At the same time have you ever seen 100 percent of any group agree on anything?

S

steamheat

I don't believe for one minute that the national results were 73% favorable. More lies, just like the voodoo numbers on the daily operation report.

T

trickpony1

Do you actually believe the company is going to announce that they didn't do worth a :censored2: on the ERI?
I agree with steamheat.

T

tombrown

I think 73% quite possible. Once had manager who was great,saw his survey #s from his new center and they were over 90%. But center i'm in now has been in 60 to low 70s last few years and preload was even lower.

U

Unregistered

"Think about it,has there EVER been a year that you felt that things had improved?...

"Think about it,has there EVER been a year that you felt that things had improved?...

Yes. 1989 when {removed by moderator} was my division manager. After that it's been pretty much down hill.