Why is there such hatred between Ground and Express drivers here?

xFed

I don't understand why there seems to be so much hatred between the Ground/HD and Express drivers on this forum. As drivers, we are ALL getting screwed by FedEx (in different ways, but screwed nevertheless).

I'm a swing driver at express and have always gotten along with the ground drivers in the areas I cover. We wave to each other when driving by, and say hi when we're at the same stops. I have always had the same experience with UPS drivers and USPS letter carriers as well. We are all out there doing [basically] the same thing, so why would I hate you?

While I dislike the way FedEx is running [a.k.a. destroying] the company, I am not going to take that out on the driver; so what's the deal here? What am I missing?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I don't really believe there's any actual hatred. It's the internet. Ya have to take this stuff with a grain of salt. We have some personalities here that clash, but I still don't think there's hatred there.

It's a little bit like reality TV, you have to be able to separate what's real from the scripted drama

It's a good way to blow off steam. And if that's all it ever accomplishes - is that such a bad thing?

bbsam

Staff member
I would concur with 66. Hatred is far too strong a word for anything I feel. Some say they hate everything Ground, but they grudgingly admit that it is the future of FDX. The company has changed and much of it not for the good of employees. It is what it is.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think it is lack of respect for Ground because many of their drivers come across as less professional. Not all are that way. I got a Ground delivery today and I knew the driver from when he ran same area as my UPS route and he is a very good worker. By contrast he also owns another route his cousin runs and he has to constantly go help out his cousin who just can't get it done.

MAKAVELI

On this forum it's not so much Express vs Ground drivers as it is Express vs Ground contractors. I personally don't have anything against the drivers. As I see different drivers just about every couple of weeks. I guess they have a big turn over problem in my area. I wonder why? But the contractors I have come across in general do not care about the drivers, maintaining the their vehicles or a professional image. They only care about their bottom line. Falsification of del records, dot hours are common place at ground. Most of the contractors on this forum justify this way of business because it pads their wallets. All the while Express drivers have had their pay and benefits eroded away and work loads increased. These are some of the many reasons there is so much animosity between the opco.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
On this forum it's not so much Express vs Ground drivers as it is Express vs Ground contractors. I personally don't have anything against the drivers. As I see different drivers just about every couple of weeks. I guess they have a big turn over problem in my area. I wonder why? But the contractors I have come across in general do not care about the drivers, maintaining the their vehicles or a professional image. They only care about their bottom line. Falsification of del records, dot hours are common place at ground. Most of the contractors on this forum justify this way of business because it pads their wallets. All the while Express drivers have had their pay and benefits eroded away and work loads increased. These are some of the many reasons there is so much animosity between the opco.

Well said. While I see a lot of unprofessional Ground drivers, my hatred is aimed squarely at FedEx the corporation. The whole deal is one big scam, and cutting corners and professionalism go hand-in-hand with the business model. Ground is a gift to Mr. Smith from all his buddies in politics that see things Fred's way because his money talks...loudly. All Ground drivers should be true employees.

Just like the RLA, Ground is illegitimate and morally bankrupt, a good fit with the character of Fred and his band of aristocratic thugs.

DontThrowPackages

FOX News doesn't teach anything worthwhile.
Fox News teaches us to build underground bunkers, castles and buy apocalypse survival kits being hawked by Glen Beck. Being scared is American. If you're not scared and or angry all the time then you're not a real American. Fox News make Billions off fear and hate. Good for them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fox News teaches us to build underground bunkers, castles and buy apocalypse survival kits being hawked by Glen Beck. Being scared is American. If you're not scared and or angry all the time then you're not a real American. Fox News make Billions off fear and hate. Good for them.

EXACTLY. Van needs to throw his tinfoil hat in the garbage.

vantexan

Interesting, never seen it there, and I actually watch it. Glen Beck has been off Fox for several years now.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well said.

And I think this pretty much nails it.

TerryFXHD

You know, you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. Express drivers are nothing more than polished turds. Who is at FedEx but for lack of a better option? The only way for the Express drivers to form any kind of dignity is to put down the Ground Drivers. Fedex Ground has been good to me. I work for an ISP that was willing to take a chance on me after 9 years out of the work force due to medical issues. I'm not getting rich but I feel appreciated and valued. I have gained not just a boss but a personal friend for life. I may just be a HD driver on the bottom of the barrel but I am the best damn HD driver I can be, despite the tattoo on my back. Dissatisfaction with any job most often transfers to the next. That is career profiling 101. Perhaps that is why the Express whiners have been "stuck" there so long? In this area it is not uncommon for the Express driver, ground/HD driver, and UPS driver to be bullsh together at the convienience store on breaks. I drive a Chevy AWD van and carry a tow strap. I have pulled both Express vans and UPS trucks out of the ditch. There is no problem in this area. We all have enough work to go around. I lurk here for entertainment and the ability to see just what further idiotic statements are made by MFE and his ilk.

MAKAVELI

You know, you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd. Express drivers are nothing more than polished turds. Who is at FedEx but for lack of a better option? The only way for the Express drivers to form any kind of dignity is to put down the Ground Drivers. Fedex Ground has been good to me. I work for an ISP that was willing to take a chance on me after 9 years out of the work force due to medical issues. I'm not getting rich but I feel appreciated and valued. I have gained not just a boss but a personal friend for life. I may just be a HD driver on the bottom of the barrel but I am the best damn HD driver I can be, despite the tattoo on my back. Dissatisfaction with any job most often transfers to the next. That is career profiling 101. Perhaps that is why the Express whiners have been "stuck" there so long? In this area it is not uncommon for the Express driver, ground/HD driver, and UPS driver to be bullsh together at the convienience store on breaks. I drive a Chevy AWD van and carry a tow strap. I have pulled both Express vans and UPS trucks out of the ditch. There is no problem in this area. We all have enough work to go around. I lurk here for entertainment and the ability to see just what further idiotic statements are made by MFE and his ilk.
What a wonderful story man. It brought a tear to my eye.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Interesting, never seen it there, and I actually watch it. Glen Beck has been off Fox for several years now.
Polished turd? Way to put "all" Express drivers in a category.

Well the rest of your post was "null and void".