Why shouldn't we strike?

By The Book

I have held almost every hourly position except feeder driver, yard shifter and a couple others. And I can tell you that most part-timers do NOT go driving. Most stay PT or quit (check out the revolving door). Then check out the amount of drivers, and openings. I don't need to provide facts when it's plainly obvious that most people hired PT do not end up "FT" seniority drivers.
In my neck of the woods 90% of all the PT that go driving

make it to top scale....I'm reading your post right now. You do make a good point in saying that most people hired PT don't end up "FT" seniority drivers.
You are talking about the success rate of PT'ers who go driving?
yes, if I'm reading your post correctly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In my neck of the woods 90% of all the PT that go driving

make it to top scale....I'm reading your post right now. You do make a good point in saying that most people hired PT don't end up "FT" seniority drivers.

yes, if I'm reading your post correctly.
most PT have no interest in going driving, so the angle that "FT drivers are helping PT'ers by keeping their wages inflated in comparison to the 1-10 year part-timers" is not true. JMO Cannot prove that with data. ;)

But overall, part-timers generally don't vote. Even if they did object to meager $10/hr, foffa and Hall would ram whatever they want through anyway

TG43

Verizon workers (CWA union) were out for a couple months recently and made out pretty well from what I understand. They got an 11% raise over 4 years compared to 6.5% the company proposed, etc. I'd think the Teamsters union/members could learn from their strike. It seemed a positive outcome for their members, I know our trade is a lot different obviously but it's under current economic times.

I have a couple friends that are mechanics at Verizon. They don't have degrees and make a few dollars more an hour than UPSers. It amazes me some people think UPS is the only good paying job out there without having a degree.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Verizon workers (CWA union) were out for a couple months recently and made out pretty well from what I understand. They got an 11% raise over 4 years compared to 6.5% the company proposed, etc. I'd think the Teamsters union/members could learn from their strike. It seemed a positive outcome for their members, I know our trade is a lot different obviously but it's under current economic times.

I have a couple friends that are mechanics at Verizon. They don't have degrees and make a few dollars more an hour than UPSers. It amazes me some people think UPS is the only good paying job out there without having a degree.

How many of your co-workers could afford to be out of work for "a couple of months"?

Yes, the CWA took care of their members, but if you drove by a Verizon picket line you did not see a whole of support from the public for their cause. People were not stopping to give them water or to offer words of encouragement.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Going back to earlier topics...the company might be able to claim they are broke because of all the buildings, equipment, etc that needs to be replaced. Granted they should have been withholding money all along for this. But it will be a big expenditure and from the sounds of it, they can't push it off much longer, my building included.
Many people say the same thing about the dinosaurs they still have on the road.

Ups will always do as little as possible. Big mistake. I would say it takes at least 5 years to plan and build a new center. Think about how much volume is changing every 5 years right now.

dudebro

Do the math $502 a week here. Based on 40 hours
I don't know why anyone wouldn't want this money in a retirement account for themselves, and friend having someone manage / mismanage it.

IF you just invested 500 a week, got a 7% return over 30 years (S&P 500 fund and never touch it), you'd have 2.5 million dollars. You would have friend-u money. Getting anything less, means someone is getting shafted.