Will FedEx layoff after peak?

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by dalecooper1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. dalecooper1

dalecooper1 New Member

I was wondering if Fedex will lay people of or "displace" after Christmas. I work at SmartPost and heard a rumor from another it might.

2. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

Why would you think they would?

3. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

a rumor at FedEx?.....say it ain't so!!!

4. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

They don't use dirty words like layoff. They call it "attrition."

5. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Active Member

Before peak, FedEx had a decided staff shortfall and was hiring like mad. That probably will remain the case. At least at Express.

6. overflowed

overflowed Well-Known Member

You don't know Express yet. They were hiring like mad just to cover their arse till peak ends. Come January there will be a lot of " attrition." Lots of the new part timers will leave on their own due to being sent home everyday.

7. dalecooper1

dalecooper1 New Member

So, you're saying if your a new hire and your a package handler it will be hard to keep you job? I can understand people leaving because of hours getting cut after peak. If those people leave doesn't that help your chances of not getting "attrition"?

8. vantexan

vantexan Well-Known Member

If you're unloading containers they'll probably keep you. But part-time couriers with not enough freight are only guaranteed 17.5 hrs. It really depends on how the economy is doing and as others quit, which happens a lot, you'll suddenly find plenty to do. Stations ebb and flow, it's a matter of hanging in until a fulltime rt comes open.

9. DRAisawesome

DRAisawesome Active Member

Yeah. Most places you can become full time swing within a year. It used to take years. Times have definitely changed. I would say turnover at express is 25% that don't even make it a year.