Will FedEx layoff after peak?

dalecooper1

I was wondering if Fedex will lay people of or "displace" after Christmas. I work at SmartPost and heard a rumor from another it might.

MassWineGuy

Before peak, FedEx had a decided staff shortfall and was hiring like mad. That probably will remain the case. At least at Express.

overflowed

Before peak, FedEx had a decided staff shortfall and was hiring like mad. That probably will remain the case. At least at Express.
You don't know Express yet. They were hiring like mad just to cover their arse till peak ends. Come January there will be a lot of " attrition." Lots of the new part timers will leave on their own due to being sent home everyday.

dalecooper1

You don't know Express yet. They were hiring like mad just to cover their arse till peak ends. Come January there will be a lot of " attrition." Lots of the new part timers will leave on their own due to being sent home everyday.

So, you're saying if your a new hire and your a package handler it will be hard to keep you job? I can understand people leaving because of hours getting cut after peak. If those people leave doesn't that help your chances of not getting "attrition"?

vantexan

So, you're saying if your a new hire and your a package handler it will be hard to keep you job? I can understand people leaving because of hours getting cut after peak. If those people leave doesn't that help your chances of not getting "attrition"?
If you're unloading containers they'll probably keep you. But part-time couriers with not enough freight are only guaranteed 17.5 hrs. It really depends on how the economy is doing and as others quit, which happens a lot, you'll suddenly find plenty to do. Stations ebb and flow, it's a matter of hanging in until a fulltime rt comes open.

DRAisawesome

Yeah. Most places you can become full time swing within a year. It used to take years. Times have definitely changed. I would say turnover at express is 25% that don't even make it a year.