Wiper blades Up or Down?

Wipers up or down during a snowstorm

• Total voters

djkre8r

Got a "FrostGuard" for Christmas last year. I love it! I walk outside, remove cover, and on my way. Has loops to secure to mirrors. So much easier than trying to get a tarp not to blow off.

oldngray

nowhere special
Letting it warm up for an extended period of time isn't good. You should still give your car a few minutes right after starting it.

Just a couple of minutes of idling is enough. By the time you finish scraping your windows you should be good to go.
And for the first few minutes of driving don't race the engine. Let it slowly warm up to operating temperature.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just a couple of minutes of idling is enough. By the time you finish scraping your windows you should be good to go.
And for the first few minutes of driving don't race the engine. Let it slowly warm up to operating temperature.

The whole idea of starting your car is so that you don't have to scrape your windows.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Use Rain-X or another product , cuts down on scrapping time .
For heavy snowfalls I spray on some tire shine on the roof and the hood . Makes the snow fall right off .

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I would think starting it and then driving without allowing it to warm up would cause more harm.

Actually, Dave, modern engines use multi-viscosity oils. In the case of your Altima, I believe it's 5W-30.

The lower number is the cold oil viscosity and the higher number is the hot viscosity. You really don't need to let it idle more than a minute, and you will be fine. The engine will be lubricated, even though you may be a little chilly.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Interesting you go by Orion and you noticed 50% doing it wrong...

The origin of my name, i was too stupid to wait it out on team brown to become a driver... i disliked being a warehouse worker

So i went to team purple, HD division where i have turn by turns and maps so i can straightline all day long and only do a few pickups, mostly resi customer returns, then take the package car home with me.

Rarely do i get business stops and to deal with bulk or over 150 lbs

Back on topic: cement and the doc stated why some put them up. Because theyre too ignorant or forgetful to shut off the wipers when they exit their cars and bam! Stripped splines or gears or snapped transmission links

watdaflock?

ever tried scraping an inch of ice off your windshield?
Yes. Many times. I'm originally from Wisconsin and went to college in Michigan.

You start your car, let it warm up a bit with the defroster on. Gradually scrape the ice away with out turning on your wipers. Apparently those of you who rarely deal with winter weather, do it wrong.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The origin of my name, i was too stupid to wait it out on team brown to become a driver... i disliked being a warehouse worker

So i went to team purple, HD division where i have turn by turns and maps so i can straightline all day long and only do a few pickups, mostly resi customer returns, then take the package car home with me.

Rarely do i get business stops and to deal with bulk or over 150 lbs

Back on topic: cement and the doc stated why some put them up. Because theyre too ignorant or forgetful to shut off the wipers when they exit their cars and bam! Stripped splines or gears or snapped transmission links

I put my wipers up ahead of a storm as it makes it easier to clear off the windshield.

S

selfcancelsignal

Down. Start the vehicle, let it warm up for however long, & go back into the center & BS with your fellow comrades in the center. Hub? Someone might steal your vehicle, & there are too many people to get to know, so you're SOL.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Only if you're dumb enough to attempt turning on the wipers while they are still frozen in place.

Yes. Many times. I'm originally from Wisconsin and went to college in Michigan.

You start your car, let it warm up a bit with the defroster on. Gradually scrape the ice away with out turning on your wipers. Apparently those of you who rarely deal with winter weather, do it wrong.

So you've never gotten out of the car and didn't turn your wipers off, then the next time you got in the car the wipers were still on?